"Friendly" hotels in Vientiane

sgtsabai

That's a change, hope so. I've only stayed at Lao Plaza and that was a special occasion for the Marine Corps Birthday Ball last Nov. since around '07. Whew, pang mak mak! Although this lady lives on the outskirts of Vientiane, she doesn't even know where the "farang" bars and hotels are. I don't know my way around either.

NamPhu, the water fountain area. Alotta restaurants,bars caterring to the tourists.. Plenty of hotels and gust houses all around there. easy to find a clean friendly GH in the 500-1000 baht range.

They are not all guest friendly, and it is frowned upon taking a girl back to your room unless she checks in with you when you arrive, another thing a lot have a lockdown at midnight and if you are not in by that time you might not be able to get in.

I am not saying all have these policy's but a lot do.

I will not be going out to pick up a lady, she comes with me. Not really looking for a guest house if that is kinda' like a backpacker place. Rather pay 1400/1500 baht for a hotel. Thanks for the tip on NamPhu. I rather imagine we'll end up coming on her motorbike as she'll probably want it to return to the ville when she comes back from Thailand. Perhaps her brother's truck.

That's a change, hope so. I've only stayed at Lao Plaza and that was a special occasion for the Marine Corps Birthday Ball last Nov. since around '07. Whew, pang mak mak! Although this lady lives on the outskirts of Vientiane, she doesn't even know where the "farang" bars and hotels are. I don't know my way around either.

Baht 3,000 a night,including breakfast.

Hardly breaking the bank.

I stayed there because that was where the activities took place and I was part of so had to be there early for rehearsal. Plus, I don't know Vientiane. Worth it for that one time. Nice place, but... . Maybe not your bank but mine. I basically support 2 families on my retirement income. Too early and too hung over from all the free Beer Lao the night before to eat breakfast...lol. And a good time was had by all, especially the guys when they finally got to get out of their dress blues. Left early with one of the Embassy personal for a quick ride across the border.

Ibis Nam Phu. Clean, modern rooms. Elevator. Key card. Great service. And conveniently located in the heart of it all. Next door they have an outdoor food court/beer garden (basically take outs from the various restaurants in town) and some times live music. Around the corner (literally out the front door and right) is an authentic Italian place as well.

Only down side, no pool. If that matters to you.

Thanks for the info guys. I was remembering from 2006 that there were some farang pubs along the river area, but don't have a clue as to where. I'm thinking one was called the Texas or maybe Alamo, hell too many years. Anybody know if they are still there and if so how far from IBIS? Beer garden sounds good, I'll pass on the Italian, a big sore spot for both of us, but thanks for the info.

I told my girlfriend to bring her passport/id and do the checking in.

Problem solved.

Kind of original...

I wait in the car. We did this in Vientiane and all over Thailand. She would always get better prices, anyways. After she signs in, she waves and I come get the key before she actually pays. I then text her to pay, once the internet, aircon and amenities pass inspection.

She is now my wife. Thai, but can speak a bit of Lao.

Edited by slipperylobster

Thanks for the info guys. I was remembering from 2006 that there were some farang pubs along the river area, but don't have a clue as to where. I'm thinking one was called the Texas or maybe Alamo, hell too many years. Anybody know if they are still there and if so how far from IBIS? Beer garden sounds good, I'll pass on the Italian, a big sore spot for both of us, but thanks for the info.

Those riverside places are all gone now, due to destruction/concreting over of the riverbank. They were good places to find girls. You say you are checking in with your partner, so I don't know why you need a 'guest' friendly place. However, most places will not be happy if you try to take a prostitute to your room. It is illegal for a foreigner to sleep with a Lao girl. I used to stay at the Duane Duang [sic] hotel and would bribe the desk clerk 200baht when I brought a girl back, which I did countless times. However, the place, which is close to the river has now become a total dump , with very rude staff, and dirty rooms with bad air-con so I don't recommend it.

I do similar a lot with my Thai wife. This lady is Lao, hence the problem. If not guest friendly she and I both could face prison and when I got out I would no longer have house, car anything, including a very important appendage if wife ever got hold of me. I shudder to think of what would happen to Lao lady. This problem is slowly going away, even in many of the villages a payment to the headman usually is satisfactory, unless somebody gets pissed off. Many of the hotels now are not only guest friendly but will help you find a guest. It's all about the money, money, money honey...lol. But, it's like that sword hanging over your head. I've been looking at the Agoda, DuckDuckGo search (they don't track like Google/Bing etc. do) and other sites, seems to be a cluster of hotels all around the same area where Ibis is. Pretty good chance of finding one there I would think.

Shame about all the riverside places, was there with Thai wife about 10 years ago. As I posted to slippery, the problem is the lady is Lao, isn't my wife but yes is a "partner". We don't stay in Lao, we met in Thailand. I promised I would go to her village for a day, don't want to push getting back across the border before closing.

Life, I'm wondering if any of the posters here have been to Vientiane in the last 2-3 years. They no longer give the slightest monkey's about taking a Lao girl to your room. Nearly every hotel and guesthouse is "girl friendly". The Chinese came to town with megabucks and all the morality was chucked out the window. Don't spend so much as a second worrying about it.

I can't remember the names, but I have had great experiences with a couple of guest houses in Vientiane.

I did not care for any of the hotels there, not well maintained and very noisy.

The guest houses seemed to take more pride in the service they provided.

There are several to choose from in the part of the city by the river where most of the good bars and eating establishments are located.

Thanks willy, never stayed in a guest house, kinda' considered them more backpacker type territory, communal bathrooms etc. I'll have to check them out. I'm guessing that would be where most of the hotels are located also. I know that our guest speaker at the Marine Corps B-day Ball stayed at a guest house close to the Lao Plaza. He knows Vientiane well, after USMC Vietnam he was State Department until retiring, was in Vientiane.

Try the Vansana hotel near Itecc for around 50-70usd per nite. It has a nite club to pick up ladies, the hotel doesn't care about taking women back to rooms. As mentioned before, as long as you're not an idiot and causing drama the police will leave you alone. Plenty of Guest Houses in the suburbs to stay at for a night for 10-12usd with your girl, am sure she'll know where to go unless she's really out in the sticks and doesn't know Vientiane at all. The river front area is completely new with the night market and new restaurants along it now. Tex Mex is now Dairy Queen. Samlor pub is full of the same skanks. Try along T4 road for ladies of the night as well. GL

Thanks for all the good info. I'm not looking for a "pick up". My lady picks ones we both like and she doesn't do Lao chicks. No, she isn't far in the sticks, lives just about 20 min. from border but just never goes Vientiane. She knows Nong Khai, Udon better by a long shot. Just a visit with her mom and the kids then back to Thailand.

The New Rose Boutique Hotel is 1500baht per night and is no problem for ladies to stay, about a 150m walk to center of town.. Highland Bar and Billabong Pub are Falang hangouts. Lucky man for having the lady pick the extra girl for the night.

Sabai dee @ lao is a decent enough hotel. Same price as the Ibis but you will get a balcony room. Ibis rooms are clean but tiny. If you stay at Sabai Dee @ lao ask for a room with balcony facing the courtyard not the street. It is a little further back from the river than the Ibis however, around 2 blocks from the fountain. Still easily walkable to anything you would want. Around 2,500 Baht. If you have around 3,500 Baht then Sala Na is quite a good place. Hotel rooms on the lower spectrum of the budget are all invariably insufferable.

The two main foreign bars in town are Khup Chai Due across from Joma bakery and Bor Pen Yang on the riverside on the 4th floor with a great view. Eat somewhere else and then drink at these places.

Pimenton is a great restaurant if you feel like a splurge on eating. One of the better steaks I have had an SE Asia, they also offer tapas. Sputnik burger is a decent place for a burger. Some people say it is expensive but 50,000 Kip for a burger is an okay deal I think. Their Cobb salad was pretty good.

Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to a decent room. Drinking and everything else is pretty much dirt cheap anyway.

Sabai dee @ lao is a decent enough hotel. Same price as the Ibis but you will get a balcony room. Ibis rooms are clean but tiny. If you stay at Sabai Dee @ lao ask for a room with balcony facing the courtyard not the street. It is a little further back from the river than the Ibis however, around 2 blocks from the fountain. Still easily walkable to anything you would want. Around 2,500 Baht. If you have around 3,500 Baht then Sala Na is quite a good place. Hotel rooms on the lower spectrum of the budget are all invariably insufferable.

The two main foreign bars in town are Khup Chai Due across from Joma bakery and Bor Pen Yang on the riverside on the 4th floor with a great view. Eat somewhere else and then drink at these places.

Pimenton is a great restaurant if you feel like a splurge on eating. One of the better steaks I have had an SE Asia, they also offer tapas. Sputnik burger is a decent place for a burger. Some people say it is expensive but 50,000 Kip for a burger is an okay deal I think. Their Cobb salad was pretty good.

Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to a decent room. Drinking and everything else is pretty much dirt cheap anyway.

All Great Hotels above if you have enough money and are spending most of your time in the bedroom. I'm a bit of a New Rose Hotel boy and have had no bad feed back from the 20 odd people I've recommended at staying there. EXCEPT, there was no BACON at the breakfast buffet. Pimenton is the best for steak and expensive but well worth it for that special occassion. I'll leave Khop Chai Deu and Por Peng Yang bars up to the visa runners. The New Capitol Residence Apartments is new with a Roof Top on the 10th floor. Only open from 6.30am till 11.30am for breakfast at the moment. 3 pieces of bacon, 3 eggs and big hash brown for 150baht. Yes, you can buy beer at this time too. Best view in Vientiane as of last Month.

Yeah I stayed at New Rose before myself. You are right it is okay there. I like rooms that have balconies though and this they have at Sabai Dee @ Lao. Also I find the staff there very helpful. Though the restaurant and bar is not very well attended. Nice info about the New Capitol Residence, I may check that out next time I am up that way.

I guess as Lao Plaza was mentioned is why I brought up Sala Na. For the same amount I would rather stay there as the plaza is a bit of a dinosaur these days.

Was just adding some places to the Vientiane list that don't seem to get mentioned as usually the same 3 or 4 places such as Intercity Hotel come up, which is a complete dive in my opinion. There are quite a few new hotel developments going up in Vientiane and it seems every time I visit the city there seems to be a new option should I want it.

Anyway it seems like the OP has a plethora of options to bring his GF to. None of the places I mentioned will say a word about who you bring as a guest.

I agree that the Inter City Hotel isn't the best. I forgot to mention that in about 2 more months the bar on the 10th floor of the Capitol Hotel will be open all day, 360 degree views of the city with fine food all at a reasonable price.

The Highland Bar now has a Sunday roast starting from Midday. 240baht

The new Irish Bar O'Grady's also has Sunday roast starting at 4pm. 260baht . You'll have to Google Map as it's about 4km from the center of town. Guiness on tap for 240 baht a pint.

Both very good roasts for those that might need something different to eat in VTE.

All Hotels below are on the waterfront with Korean BBQ , Japanese , Western and Local restaurants all opposite so plenty of choices with quite a lively atmosphere. Prices for Hotels may have gone up a little since last time I checked.

VANSANA Hotel: Standard room 1760 baht - Deluxe room 2080 baht

SEANSONS Riverside Hotel: Standard Double 1530 baht

SENGTAWN Riverside Hotel: Standard room 1440 baht - Deluxe room 2080 baht - Great Restaurant with outside balcony on the 5th floor.

I like the Inter City Hotel,unbeatable location and that faded glory of a colonial mansion,converted into a mid-range hotel all wrapped up in a package next to the best bar in Vientiane next door,Bor Penyang of course!
Mekong Sunshine at the end of the riverside is relatively new and the same sort of range,it has a great restaurant full of locals only,very few Westerners in there and live music plus cold Beer Lao and pretty serving wenches with big smiles!
I tried Best Western once but it was around USD $100 per night and my room was right next to the lift shaft,so I wasn't impressed at all,view was awful as well!Vientiane is what it is,you don't get Bangkok quality accommodation there so you just have to put up with it.
BTW a good little bar near to Samlor on the road behind the riverside is The Drop Zone,owned by an ex-Army British guy but like all bars in Vientiane has to shut by midnight,apart from Samlor and the nightclubs such as @Home.