"Friendly" hotels in Vientiane

sgtsabai

Guys, thanks for all the great info. I'm making a list of the watering holes. After talking with mia noi and giving her exact date, she will make the hotel arraignment, I think. Hey communications...lol. Gotta' luv these women.

I like the Inter City Hotel,unbeatable location and that faded glory of a colonial mansion,converted into a mid-range hotel all wrapped up in a package next to the best bar in Vientiane next door,Bor Penyang of course!

Mekong Sunshine at the end of the riverside is relatively new and the same sort of range,it has a great restaurant full of locals only,very few Westerners in there and live music plus cold Beer Lao and pretty serving wenches with big smiles!

I tried Best Western once but it was around USD $100 per night and my room was right next to the lift shaft,so I wasn't impressed at all,view was awful as well!Vientiane is what it is,you don't get Bangkok quality accommodation there so you just have to put up with it.

BTW a good little bar near to Samlor on the road behind the riverside is The Drop Zone,owned by an ex-Army British guy but like all bars in Vientiane has to shut by midnight,apart from Samlor and the nightclubs such as @Home.

Sad to say The Drop Zone closed 3 months back. All back in the UK now. Mekong Sunshine is a good location with the Papasack restuarant next door. Better hotels to stay at though. You get what you pay for.

"Sad to say The Drop Zone closed 3 months back. All back in the UK now. Mekong Sunshine is a good location with the Papasack restuarant next door. Better hotels to stay at though. You get what you pay for."

Oh dear that's terrible news it was a great little place,how long had it been open for it was a long time I think?Always liked to sit on the terrace outside with a big Beer Lao and watch Vientiane go by,very slowly of course!
Was that your bar then?

"Sad to say The Drop Zone closed 3 months back. All back in the UK now. Mekong Sunshine is a good location with the Papasack restuarant next door. Better hotels to stay at though. You get what you pay for."

Oh dear that's terrible news it was a great little place,how long had it been open for it was a long time I think?Always liked to sit on the terrace outside with a big Beer Lao and watch Vientiane go by,very slowly of course!

Was that your bar then?

No it wasn't my bar but did know the guy a few years back. It was open for over 4 years, could be a bit longer. Rumour has it that the Lebanese Kebab restaurant on the opposite corner has bought the place out. Not sure on this though as it's in early stages of refurbishment. Also, not sure where the girls from DZ have gone to now.

One last thing for the OP and others. The New Vientiane Plaza Mall has a cinema complex on the top floor with movies in English, Lao and Thai. Same owners as the complexes in Thailand. Very comfortable. Be careful ordering the pop corn though as this is more expensive than a ticket.

Guys thanks for all the info. We stayed at a decent place, on the river front, frankly I just didn't pay attention to name. About 1,000 baht a night. The lady is somewhat of a cheap Charline with my money...lol. We spent quite a bit of time in her ville, nice place, no dusty dirt road place, no sir. Of course several had to come see the farang...lol. Several good little bars, bar/restaraunt/karaoke places, lots of ladies. Lot's of fun with the friends and kid. Lot's of Beer Lao. Will probably stay at hotel there next time as staying with her would be a bit of problem, money to the cops. Besides, Buddhist Temple there that starts all that racket at zero dark thirty every morning. Nobody paid any attention to farang. Ran into a couple of guys from Udon in Vientiane, our secret is now out after all these years. Only my close friend knew. Went up the stairs to Bor Pen Yang. Good exercise...lol. Decent food, nice view, lots of freelancers and we weren't there all that late. Hit a couple of places for a Beer Lao but passed on the late night "saweang dang" on the riverfront. Thanks again guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I told my girlfriend to bring her passport/id and do the checking in.

Problem solved.

Kind of original...

I wait in the car. We did this in Vientiane and all over Thailand. She would always get better prices, anyways. After she signs in, she waves and I come get the key before she actually pays. I then text her to pay, once the internet, aircon and amenities pass inspection.

She is now my wife. Thai, but can speak a bit of Lao.

Most hotels have fixed prices these days so I don't think what your wife does is of any advantage. Also, what if your preferred place is full? Your strategy won't work either if you have pre-booked and pre-paid, unless you never do that.

Agreed on the fixed hotel prices, although I've found that letting the lady do the "bargaining" for most products will save you money, and Lao is expensive. There is one advantage I have found to having Lao lady check in, she reserved a room a day in advanced, I was never asked for my passport. She will do same both at hotel in village and Vientiane when I return in a couple of weeks.

I don't know about swingers, certainly not me. I will never let another man touch my mia noi. Now ladies, oh yea! Lao is quite active, lots of ladies appear to be available. It's no Pattaya of years ago, but it's not Lao of a few years ago either. I don't know the asking price, but everything else is pretty expensive, except Beer Lao.

Well they sure as hell aren't men. Until I decide to call a lady something different, and I believe I know what you are thinking in this instance, they are ladies in my book and I will treat them as such. I like the Lao ladies, although they are getting more and more like their Issan sisters.

As my Senior DI, a very early "adviser" in Vietnam-circa 1962, said in USMC boot camp (1964), "My mother raised me to be a gentleman, I don't need an act of Congress and bars on my shoulders to make me a gentleman". Yep, they made him a lieutenant and sent him back. My mother raised me to be a gentleman, although I admittedly sometimes fail the test....lol.

I get what you implied, and I don't like it. She doesn't know where budget hotels are and neither do I in Vientiane. We always stayed in Thailand before the "government". Had an apartment then. I guess in farang language a mistress. She is just a bit more. I say mia noi because that is what she is. She means a hell of a lot more to me. Off and on, thick and thin, 5 yrs now.

I get what you implied, and I don't like it. She doesn't know where budget hotels are and neither do I in Vientiane. We always stayed in Thailand before the "government". Had an apartment then. I guess in farang language a mistress. She is just a bit more. I say mia noi because that is what she is. She means a hell of a lot more to me. Off and on, thick and thin, 5 yrs now.

I am beginning to wonder if you know what mia noi means? If you are married and have a mia noi as well it is rather humorous you are on a public internet forum creeping around for budget room suggestions. Most people show a little more discretion than that. It seems like you think of the term mia noi as some sort of humble brag. If you aren't married then she is simply your girlfriend or Tee rak. If you are married and this is really a mia noi then it is funny you lack the ability to conduct your affairs as a man with a mia noi should be able to.

You can't really go around making open posts about your mia noi on the internet and then become indignant when some people find it amusing. Anyway glad it all worked out for you and we were able to help you facilitate the difficult logisitics so that you and your mia noi could share some special time together. Next time try booking.com and we don't even have to know about your relationship status or just say friend. lol