Cystic Fibrosis tests

bbi1

Does anyone know where in the BKK area you can get a "Cystic Fibrosis sweat test" done or any other tests for ""Cystic Fibrosis"? I asked Samitevej & they said they don't do it, which is very surprising for a hospital that is meant to be one of the best ones.

Also, anyone know where to buy Licorice/Liquorice in the Sukhumvit area? I've gone to all the major supermarkets & can't seem to really find it. I've maybe seen one product in Foodland & one in Villa Supermarket that looks that it could be Licorice/Liquorice but don't know since it's in some foreign language & doesn't have any English. Or even Licorice/Liquorice root or whatever it is. Looking for it for it's health benefit to help get rid of the mucus buildup in the lungs.

CF is very rare in Thailand so I am not sure this is available. If it is, Siriraj would be the most likely place. http://www.siphhospital.com/

I would think there are some Thai people who have it even if it's rare. It's surprising that the so-called "great top end" hospitals like Samitivej & B&H Hospital have said they don't do the tests. Bumrungrad has said they do it but it's at a shockingly high 10k baht for the test only, not including any doctor fees. That was their quote. Will still enquire with others to see if they do it and at a more reasonable price.

Well you would want to do more than just a sweat test!!

When I was about one year old I had a bit of food intolerance. The doctor suggested CF so took a sweat test and I was diagnosed with CF all up until I was 16 years old. When they finally found out that I just have abnormally high salt content in my sweat.

So in other words I was misdiagnosed for 15 years and did in fact not have a thing.

During those 15 years I was in hospital for check ups every other month. I was always doing fine. I took digestion pills before every meal that I didn't need. I was up an hour before all the other kids in school to do all the <deleted> that people with CF has to do to clear their lungs of slimy goo. However never much came up. And still it wasn't before I got a new doctor at age 16 that he started to questioning my diagnosis and found out I didn't have CF. The confirming test was a sperm test. Males with CF have no sperm cells in their semen (they can still have kids).

I was always on summer camps with other kids with CF and there is a high focus on physical activity and sports on these camps.

I was the champion in everything. They had no chance what ever we did. Because I was the one healthy kid against all the sick :-)

If you think you have CF, then find an expert on it and have it thoroughly checked. Not just a simple sweat test.