Malaria Tablets Jabs

ltdknowledge

Hello.

This is my second visit to Thailand in 4 months and i didn't, and haven't had any jabs. Over the weekend we stayed at the River Kwai and noticed a few malaria centres so it got me wondering. Could i drop into one of these medical centres and have the necessary jabs, or can i buy it in tablet form at the local chemist.

Many Thanks

Now I cant say for a fact, but last time I requested vaccination for malaria in the U.S. I was given tablets, not an injection. I felt terrible taking them, as did my travel partner...so much so we stopped taking them, and put more effort into bite prevention (repellents) I would suggest if you are not going to be in a high risk area....to do the same....the side effects of the tablets were nasty.

:o As far as I know (and I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong), there is no vaccination against malaria or dengue fever. As to the tablets, because of the side effects mentioned previously prevention is the best. Get plenty of Off or Jaico and use it liberally. We never have bites, but I could be accused of being anal about it :D

:o As far as I know (and I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong), there is no vaccination against malaria or dengue fever. As to the tablets, because of the side effects mentioned previously prevention is the best. Get plenty of Off or Jaico and use it liberally. We never have bites, but I could be accused of being anal about it :D

And what about the side effects - albeit not immediately apparent - of the liberal use of deet products like Jaico ?

You got me curious and I did a quick google. Deet side effects seem to be more of a problem for children.

"Children may be at increased risk of side effects because of increased absorption of diethyltoluamide through their skin. Use only products that have low amounts of diethyltoluamide and apply it sparingly to the exposed skin of children."

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...pdi/202749.html

However this indicates there is not much risk for anyone:

Although it is true that there have been rare reports of seizures and neurological side effects associated with DEET use, it is important to realize how rare these reports are. The U.S. EPA estimates that 200 million people use DEET repellent every year. After more than eight billion applications of DEET worldwide, there have been only 21 cases reported in the medical literature in which the use of DEET seemed to have been associated with the development of neurological toxicity. Six of these cases were a direct result of deliberate ingestion. Twelve of these 21 cases resolved completely, without any residual effects. When the EPA reviewed all available DEET human and animal neurotoxicity data in 1998, they concluded there was no evidence that DEET was a selective neurotoxin. Even if all the reported cases of neurological toxicity ascribed to DEET use were confirmed, the real-life risk of neurological side effects from DEET would be less than 1 in 100 million users.

http://www.travmed.com/trip_prep/insect_repellents.htm

Hello.

This is my second visit to Thailand in 4 months and i didn't, and haven't had any jabs. Over the weekend we stayed at the River Kwai and noticed a few malaria centres so it got me wondering. Could i drop into one of these medical centres and have the necessary jabs, or can i buy it in tablet form at the local chemist.

Many Thanks

As other posters have said, there is no vaccine against malaria. There are oral medications which can be taken for prophylaxis but these (1) have side effects and (2) are not very effective against the strains of malaria found in Thailand.

Best bet is just to avoid mosquito bites via mosquito net and repellent; the malaria mosquito bites only at night. (You can get dengue from a day time moskie tho).

There are other "jabs" that one should have before coming to Thailand, thos, if you haven't had them already. In order of importance:

Rabies

Hepataitis A

Depending on your life-style - Hep B

If you'll spend much time in countryside - Japanese B Encephalitis

The first 2 are a good idea no matter where you live and travel.

Pardon me if it's been asked already, but how often, how many years, should an adult farang run back to the immunization clinic for booster shots?

I got the full schedule, including yellow fever, in 1998, and got my boosters for Hep A & B in 1999 or 2000. And rabies when I was bit, along with tetanus, last year in Thailand. Is it time to check my vaccination schedule?

And where's a handy place, reliable and reasonably priced, besides the local clinic? Do Red Cross stations offer immunizations?

Pardon me if it's been asked already, but how often, how many years, should an adult farang run back to the immunization clinic for booster shots?

I got the full schedule, including yellow fever, in 1998, and got my boosters for Hep A & B in 1999 or 2000. And rabies when I was bit, along with tetanus, last year in Thailand. Is it time to check my vaccination schedule?

And where's a handy place, reliable and reasonably priced, besides the local clinic? Do Red Cross stations offer immunizations?

Yellow Fever innoculations last 10 years (with certificate).

Tetanus and Polio should be boosted after five years, but are effective upto ten years.

Hep. A. full course lasts upto ten years.

Hep. B. See Doctor

Cholera: Vaccine has limited effectiveness.

Rabies: See Doctor. Important to discuss recent health and medications etc.

Meningitis: See Doctor: he will check your spleen and ask questions.

IMPORTANT Remember Y.F. and Polio are live virus and innoculation should be on the same day. (Polio is usually oral).

I have my innoculations done here in Thailand at reasonable cost. Consider purchasing a vaccination booklet, which can be stamped with date, and Dr.'s stamp, so that you can keep a track.

Travel clinics are best, as the Doctors have up-to-date knowledge.

Thanks, libya 115; that's very helpful. Based on your name and avatar, I thought you were a very fearsome guy. Glad to get such great advice.

Polio vaccines are usually not done with live doses in the USA, but I was in a big hurry to leave in 1998, and they opened the live one. But first, they cleared the entire room of other patients, and the staff all donned masks. The yellow fever was only done for 30 minutes once a week, and you couldn't show up late.

I have that handy booklet, and the YF is stamped into it. Which was good, since the Thai consulate saw a Venezuela visa in my passport and demanded a YF certification.