Euro 2016: Briton ‘fighting for his life’ following third day of violence in Marseille

webfact

Euro 2016: Briton ‘fighting for his life’ following third day of violence in Marseille

606x341_335351.jpg

MARSEILLE: -- Shocking scenes have emerged of a third night of clashes in Euro 2016 host city Marseille.

Authorities say one Briton is fighting for his life after at least 35 civilians and police officers were injured in violence before and after Saturday’s group B match between England and Russia.

French police made several arrests and fired tear gas and water cannon to try to disperse the crowds.

At the game

Inside the Stade Velodrome, towards the end of the tie, rivalry turned into riots as Russia supporters appeared to throw projectiles at England fans.

They then seemed to rush at the opposing supporters causing some to scramble over the perimeter fence.

European footballing body UEFA has said the teams won’t be penalised but the body will be launching an investigation into events inside the ground.

At the vieux port

Eyewitnesses to the violence in the city – which took place largely in the Old Port area – say the clashes appear to have been between small groups of local French people, Russia fans and England supporters.

Public transport and taxi services were suspended, reportedly forcing hundreds of people to walk back to their hotels.

Saturday’s match had been identified as ‘high risk’ when it comes to hooliganism, raising questions over how and why such extreme violence was able to take place across three consecutive days and nights.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-13

Especially the English, you mean.

I apologize, it does seem that the rest of the UK can behave in a civilized manner. I remember some years ago i sat with my sister in a German bier garden in Baveria and watched England play Germany on a large screen set up in the bier garden, We both speak fluent German so we weren't conspicuous. When the English team scored a goal we cheered and laughed which caused a large group of Germans on the next table to look at us puzzled, one man came over and asked us why. We told him we were British and were immediately invited to join them at there table where they even bought drinks for us, how different from England i thought, there we would probably have received a smack in the teeth

Which version are you reading ?

Inside the Stade Velodrome, towards the end of the tie, rivalry turned into riots as Russia supporters appeared to throw projectiles at England fans.

They then seemed to rush at the opposing supporters causing some to scramble over the perimeter fence

The above posters do not appear to have the press reports. It seems certain that the violence solely down to Russian hooligans (of the type which used to frequent Pattaya) with the English supporters trying to get out of the way. UK TV even showed a wheelchair bound England supporter being punched by a Russian.

Edited by hugh2121

The above posters do not appear to have the press reports. It seems certain that the violence solely down to Russian hooligans (of the type which used to frequent Pattaya) with the English supporters trying to get out of the way. UK TV even showed a wheelchair bound England supporter being punched by a Russian.

true,but the English supporters aren't known for being passive, it isn't the football fans that are to blame but the hooligans who go only for the punch ups and we do have a yob culture in England. Both England and Russia have been threatened with being thrown out of the competition, wouldn't be the first time for England.

True regarding the in stadium violence, afaik not true regdaring the out stadium violence.

true,but the English supporters aren't known for being passive, it isn't the football fans that are to blame but the hooligans who go only for the punch ups and we do have a yob culture in England. Both England and Russia have been threatened with being thrown out of the competition, wouldn't be the first time for England.

So you recommend being 'PASSIVE' when threatened right ?

It is not difficult to understand the violence. Soccer, (football), is a game devised by the poor, uneducated people of the planet. You never see this violence at Rugby matches as this sport is played by educated and civilised people and followed by those who, unlike soccer fans, are educated and civilised, do not have to sit through an hour and a half of sheer boredom with there frequently be no score to either side. It is no wonder that the soccer fans. sheer boredom and frustation has to be expressed in uncontrolled and drunken violence, it is on a par with the intelligence of the game.

It is not difficult to understand the violence. Soccer, (football), is a game devised by the poor, uneducated people of the planet. You never see this violence at Rugby matches as this sport is played by educated and civilised people and followed by those who, unlike soccer fans, are educated and civilised, do not have to sit through an hour and a half of sheer boredom with there frequently be no score to either side. It is no wonder that the soccer fans. sheer boredom and frustation has to be expressed in uncontrolled and drunken violence, it is on a par with the intelligence of the game.

I was not allowed to play soccer at school. It was considered a sissy game. I had to play rugger. It was a good idea.

The ideal solution.....both England and Russia be suspended from any further participation in the tournament.

Going to ban the Ukrainians,Northern Irish and Germans too?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3637910/So-face-ban-Germany-Ukraine-supporters-clash-Euro-2016-marred-fourth-day-violence.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

So will they face a ban too? Germany and Ukraine supporters clash as Euro 2016 is marred by its fourth day of violence
  • Fans were filmed throwing chairs and beer bottles in Lille this evening
  • It is not known if any arrests were made as result of brawling in city
  • There has now been trouble in Marseille, Nice and Lille involving fans
  • England, Russia and Northern Ireland are the other nations responsible

Quote of unknown source: "Football is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, and rugby is a hooligans' game played by gentlemen"

This needs to be corrected.....

"Football is a gentleman's game played by pre-madonna's and watched by hooligans, and rugby is a hooligans' game played and watched by gentlemen"

I was not allowed to play soccer at school. It was considered a sissy game. I had to play rugger. It was a good idea.

I didn't play soccer at school either, I played 'Football' because I went to British school and I also played Rugby

The English hooligans are also the most vociferous when it comes to bemoaning the negative influence of certain ethnic groups. whistling.gif

Personally, I recommend that the English, Russians and all the other hooligans be rounded up, put into a large cage, given sticks and told to sort it out.

Which version are you reading ?

They then seemed to rush at the opposing supporters causing some to scramble over the perimeter fence

Lol

Canopus is reading the English press version.

The same English press that conveniately forgot to report the Owens pushing, punching and slapping but quoted an "unnamed source" who allegedly claimed that a Thai racist group was out hunting farangs that day.

The English press give their readers what they want to hear, they never let facts get in the way of a good story, and never have.

I wonder what the Russian press version is.

They are talking about kicking Russia and England out of the tournament because of their childish behaiviour.

A bit like when two children are fighting over the same toy, just take it off them to try and teach a lesson. Nothing else will work.

Send them home so the civilized nations can enjoy a sporting contest in peace.

Edited by Roomuck

The English hooligans are also the most vociferous when it comes to bemoaning the negative influence of certain ethnic groups. whistling.gif

Personally, I recommend that the English, Russians and all the other hooligans be rounded up, put into a large cage, given sticks and told to sort it out.

Good solution.

We could even bet on it.

If the numbers were fairly even I know who I would be betting on.

I apologize, it does seem that the rest of the UK can behave in a civilized manner. I remember some years ago i sat with my sister in a German bier garden in Baveria and watched England play Germany on a large screen set up in the bier garden, We both speak fluent German so we weren't conspicuous. When the English team scored a goal we cheered and laughed which caused a large group of Germans on the next table to look at us puzzled, one man came over and asked us why. We told him we were British and were immediately invited to join them at there table where they even bought drinks for us, how different from England i thought, there we would probably have received a smack in the teeth

Yeah, a lot of these types in Pattaya.

They are to be avoided, I prefer to hang out with Thai males.who are a lot more intelligent and much better company.

They are to be avoided, I prefer to hang out with Thai males.who are a lot more intelligent and much better company.

Your still in troll mode I see.

Good solution.

We could even bet on it.

If the numbers were fairly even I know who I would be betting on.

the Russians and other East Europeans hooligans would love to... its what they train for.

search in Youtube and Google for the term Ustawka and you will see

Seems the French police can't stop them.

It could be a good oppurtunity for the Thais to hold the next Euros tournament.

Thais are very capable of dealing with farang thug street violence in Thailand.

They wouldn't even need the police in most cases, the man on the street would be able to deal with most situations.

And Hollande was worried about trade unions giving the soccer fiasco a black eye. Do they have people at the gate selling shields clubs and Molitov cocktails. Sorry I see all this violence has been fueled by alcohol. If they cut out the alcohol sales the violence would cease but then the profit motive is gone. These games are all about profit are they not and some tension/release for the poor working slob.

So you recommend being 'PASSIVE' when threatened right ?

walk away innit

Have you never been to Pattaya?

Or are you just in denial?

My post is the truth.

I never see Thais behaving like this when guests in other people's countries.

Bloody idiots. Someone needs to show them some manners and respect.

Defend them all you want mate.

Edited by Roomuck

Have you never been to Pattaya?

Or are you just in denial?

My post is the truth.

I never see Thais behaving like this when guests in other people's countries.

Bloody idiots. Someone needs to show them some manners and respect.

Defend them all you want mate.

Your usual anti British bias?

Go on YouTube and look at all the Aussie piss heads brawling away. Plenty to choose from.

How many countries have you visited and observed Thais behaving in?

Pattaya attracts groups of boozers and whore chasers from all over. And you really want to believe they all behave perfectly apart from the British who you hate for whatever bitter chip you carry? And you think others are in denial. Sad really.