Edible bugs

thonglorjimmy

You are likely to get a severe case of diarrhea or dysentery or even E. coli just from licking one, never mind eating it. Just say NO.

Rubbish!

Foodland and probably lots of other shops sell them. There are at least 2 or 3 varieties of bugs and larvae available in sealed packs. Look for the section selling dried food i.e. dried fish, meat, bananas etc.

Personally I think they mainly taste of burnt cooking oil, but many people go for them, even in England.

Edited by rak sa_ngop

You are likely to get a severe case of diarrhea or dysentery or even E. coli just from licking one, never mind eating it. Just say NO.

Rubbish!

Foodland and probably lots of other shops sell them. There are at least 2 or 3 varieties of bugs and larvae available in sealed packs. Look for the section selling dried food i.e. dried fish, meat, bananas etc.

Personally I think they mainly taste of burnt cooking oil, but many people go for them, even in England.

You have no idea what you're talking about. No self-respecting Englishman would EVER even THINK about eating those...

Rubbish!

I believe it's the crunchiness Thai's enjoy.....When I feel like a bit of crunchiness I buy the bag of deep fried "Moo".

Edited by dotpoom

I think you'll find that taking them into the EU is prohibited and you could end up being fined, just remember the swine fever outbreak in the UK was caused by pork coming from China.

It's doubtful; customs will allow you to enter with them if found.

Dog sniffing dogs are in airports that point on fruit, probably bugs, and more.

Insects are very high in protein and nutrients.

They keep the poverty stricken alive!

However, my only concern is what toxic chemical they ingested or crawled across, like bug killer spray!bah.gif

However, I’m sure that is very rare.

I personally will consume them when I have too! Hopefully, never……cheesy.gif

Rubbish!

You have no idea what you're talking about. No self-respecting Englishman would EVER even THINK about eating those...

" No self-respecting Englishman ..."

Syllogistic fallacies – logical fallacies that occur in syllogisms.
Affirmative conclusion from a negative premise (illicit negative) – when a categorical syllogism has a positive conclusion, but at least one negative premise.

Crunchy Critters in the UK beg to differ ...

UK’s premier supplier of edible insects, Crunchy Critters offers a bespoke range of carefully selected edible insects tailored to appeal to the most discerning of palates.

https://www.crunchycritters.com/about-us/

Edited by Suradit69

If it's prepared the right way, it has a fine taste of hazelnut and it's only protein.

I don't eat all kind of them but I enjoy eating some of them. There is a big taste difference between the taste of bugs cooked on fairs and the ones you get in restaurants. The last ones have in my opinion better taste.

I wouldn't try to import it to any country. As said above you could get problems with customs and Health Department of the country you import it.

I already see bugs and other insect for sale in Belgium, Germany, The Netherlands and in France.

Dog sniffing dogs are in airports that point on fruit, probably bugs, and more.

Are dogs smuggling... or do their butts just smell 'good' to other dogs? And what crimes have the fruit and bugs committed to make airports point at them?

Rubbish!

Crap. I will eat them, and so do many British people I know.

Grasshopper and locust taste peanut flavor to me, with a crunchy exterior and soft squishy inside. Those big beetles have a unique flavor and are used mashed up in some nam plicks.

You must be an old doddery throwback from the Raj if you think the English still take tea with cucumber sandwiches and little cakes. Most are as adventurous in eating as anyone these days, IME. Or are you a jellied eel and tripe scoffer?

No. NOT likely to get sick. You're more likely to get sick from eating a macaroni salad left sitting out too long. Or something made with mayonnaise. Or more likely to get sick from ground beef or hamburger not cooked to high enough a temperature..

If they are cooked properly in some way, why would insects make you get sick? Most insects actually have a higher quality of protein than beef or pork. I've eaten lots of cooked or fried insects both in Canada, and in Thailand, for decades and never got sick.

But I did get food poisoning from regular food a couple of times over the years. One time from eating a macaroni salad in North America... was so bad I was thinking dying would at least end my suffering. And another time from a chicken sandwich that had E.coli or something in it.. again... in North America...

The fact is... you can get sick from ANY food that has been exposed to chemicals or bacteria that has not been properly cleaned and/or cooked as the case may be.

I've eaten chocolate coated ants, baby bees, mealy worms, grasshoppers. (The big back legs are like little sticks and can poke you in the mouth.... I pull them off and don't eat them.)

Never got sick. I've eaten crickets by the handful in Thailand, washing them down with beer... no problem. Bon appétit :-)

As long as they were raised on an edible insect farm in proper conditions with no pesticides.... and as long as they are cooked to kill E.coli and other bacteria... there is absolutely no problem.

Thailand is the world leader in raising edible insects.. :-)

I think you'll find that taking them into the EU is prohibited and you could end up being fined, just remember the swine fever outbreak in the UK was caused by pork coming from China.

What is the connection between insects and swine fever or pork?

germs, bacteria, viruses etc coming from a sub tropical country introducing problems into a country free of them and that's why the EU has strict rules about the importation of food stuffs. try walking through immigration or customs in Australia eating an apple that you've brought off the plane if you want to see it taken to it's limit.

Be careful taking fried bugs to Europe – have tried it, or rather my Thai girlfriend believed she couldn't survive without it.

Three variants of bugs, some with wings and long legs, three big plastic bags – I believe maybe a kilo of each – so valuable that they had to be in the hand luggage. Upgraded to Business class and big smile, pleasant night flight to Europe – it was right after the Thai Kings Anniversary, so our Queen and the Prince of Denmark was sitting in front os us – when arriving Copenhagen the royal guests were naturally let out first, and then our turn to walk the gateway, and right there, just at the end of the gate, were police with a big dog; a drug dog. Well, we had of course nothing to fear or hide, but the dog was of a completely different opinion – we were stopped, pulled aside, and asked to wait. There we stod, whilst the remaining some 350 passengers from the B747 passed us, and looked with big eyes at the drug couriers – do I need to say "embarrassing"..?

When everybody had left the plane, and after many angrily looks at us drug couriers, the policeman with the dog said to my girlfriend: »And now open that bag and let's see what your'e hiding there..?«

»Food..!« The most natural answer from a genuine Thai, and three big plastic bags of bugs were unveiled – the dog jumped up to sit, with big eyes and half open mouth, with the tongue hangig out and mouthwater dripping.

»Down,« commanded the policeman angrily to the dog.
»Can I give the dog some goodies,« asked my girlfriend..?

»No way, he's not supposed to react on anything but drugs...«

Now it was the Danish Drug Police force to be embarrassed, as the dog shopuld not react at all on food – but please bear in mind, the Thai bugs are so delicious yummy spiced that even a well trained police-drug-dogs cannot withstand the challenge...

No. NOT likely to get sick. You're more likely to get sick from eating a macaroni salad left sitting out too long. Or something made with mayonnaise. Or more likely to get sick from ground beef or hamburger not cooked to high enough a temperature..

If they are cooked properly in some way, why would insects make you get sick? Most insects actually have a higher quality of protein than beef or pork. I've eaten lots of cooked or fried insects both in Canada, and in Thailand, for decades and never got sick.

But I did get food poisoning from regular food a couple of times over the years. One time from eating a macaroni salad in North America... was so bad I was thinking dying would at least end my suffering. And another time from a chicken sandwich that had E.coli or something in it.. again... in North America...

The fact is... you can get sick from ANY food that has been exposed to chemicals or bacteria that has not been properly cleaned and/or cooked as the case may be.

I've eaten chocolate coated ants, baby bees, mealy worms, grasshoppers. (The big back legs are like little sticks and can poke you in the mouth.... I pull them off and don't eat them.)

Never got sick. I've eaten crickets by the handful in Thailand, washing them down with beer... no problem. Bon appétit :-)

As long as they were raised on an edible insect farm in proper conditions with no pesticides.... and as long as they are cooked to kill E.coli and other bacteria... there is absolutely no problem.

You're disgusting. I just literally vomited up all my lunch after reading your post. Thanks a lot!

You're disgusting. I just literally vomited up all my lunch after reading your post. Thanks a lot!

Thainess, are you from this planet?

Edited by HHTel

Thainess, are you from this planet?

But you're probably not. Those are the kind of things that alien lizards would eat.

Rubbish!

Thainess you are talking out of your rear orifice. With a handle like yours it is totally inappropriate that you are so disparaging towards one of Thailand's food delicacies.

I am a self respecting Englishman and have been eating bugs and grubs for many years. I find them particularly nice with coffee instead of a biscuit (cookie for you Americans). There are many more than just three varieties. I have tried about 8 or 9 different. Some are more tasty than others. For example the rhinoceros beetle is very tasty once you get past the hard shell on the outside. That is like chewing a bit of plastic.

All my English family love them and I always take them with me when I visit.

You should learn to be more adventurous in your food tastes and not be such a wimp. Have you tried Bullfrog, Snake or Dog yet. All Thai delicacies. You really need to get out more

Rubbish!

Thainess you are talking out of your rear orifice. With a handle like yours it is totally inappropriate that you are so disparaging towards one of Thailand's food delicacies.

I am a self respecting Englishman and have been eating bugs and grubs for many years. I find them particularly nice with coffee instead of a biscuit (cookie for you Americans). There are many more than just three varieties. I have tried about 8 or 9 different. Some are more tasty than others. For example the rhinoceros beetle is very tasty once you get past the hard shell on the outside. That is like chewing a bit of plastic.

You should learn to be more adventurous in your food tastes and not be such a wimp. Have you tried Bullfrog, Snake or Dog yet. All Thai delicacies. You really need to get out more

You really do have a screw loose. You're a disgrace to the UK. Vote OUT of Europe on June 23rd. The Europeans also have disgusting habits like eating snails and frogs' legs too. Vile.

You really do have a screw loose. You're a disgrace to the UK. Vote OUT of Europe on June 23rd. The Europeans also have disgusting habits like eating snails and frogs' legs too. Vile.

You call yourself "Thainess" , yet you claim to hate a food that is common in Thailand and the rest of south east Asia, and in other parts of the world.

Even in Canada they have "Insect Week" at Science North in Sudbury, where visitors get to sample all kinds of edible insects.

As for snails, (escargot) ..... wonderful with garlic butter sauce... frogs legs..... a bit like chicken or rabbit.. Nothing wrong with edible insects raised without pesticides, and properly cooked in some way to kill parasites and bacteria...

As I said..... I've had terrible food poisoning at least twice from "regular" North American food...... and never been sick from eating fried or cooked insects...

Try some as a snack with some nice cold beers sometime. Perhaps start with crickets... or ants. Or worms. Worms and snails properly prepared are put in cornmeal for several days to clean the dirt out of them. They will fill themselves with cornmeal..then you cook 'em up. :)

Your being squeamish like a child, because they are simply not a familiar food to you..

You call yourself "Thainess" , yet you claim to hate a food that is common in Thailand and the rest of south east Asia, and in other parts of the world.

Even in Canada they have "Insect Week" at Science North in Sudbury, where visitors get to sample all kinds of edible insects.

As for snails, (escargot) ..... wonderful with garlic butter sauce... frogs legs..... a bit like chicken or rabbit.. Nothing wrong with edible insects raised without pesticides, and properly cooked in some way to kill parasites and bacteria...

As I said..... I've had terrible food poisoning at least twice from "regular" North American food...... and never been sick from eating fried or cooked insects...

Try some as a snack with some nice cold beers sometime. Perhaps start with crickets... or ants. Or worms. Worms and snails properly prepared are put in cornmeal for several days to clean the dirt out of them. They will fill themselves with cornmeal..then you cook 'em up. smile.png

Your being squeamish like a child, because they are simply not a familiar food to you..

You're [sic] nuts. Been out in the hot Thai sun for too long, have we? Get to a psychiatrist ASAP.

If the OP wants to have fun with friends back home, why not buy some of the clear candies like lollipops with bugs embedded. Probably easier to pack and carry, they don't spoil and less likely to cause a problem at customs.

I brought a bunch back home once and handed them out as joke gifts...the scorpion lollipops made a particularly strong impression, kids went bananas for them.

Rubbish!

Nigel Farage sprinkles them on his porridge oats apparently