Orlando Shooting Candle-Light Vigil at U.S. Consulate 7 pm Tues. evening

NancyL

Rev. Iain Baxter of All Saints Chiang Mai Church has asked me to help publicize tomorrow (Tuesday) evening's candle-light vigil at the U.S. Consulate, 7 pm in solidarity with the LGBT victims of homophobia and terror and victims of terror around the world. The Consulate will be in charge of the proceedings and the Consul-General will be among those who will speak.

He asks that if you're planning to come to contact him as they're trying to estimate numbers, but all are welcome to turn up. [email protected]

Good idea to bring your own candles and yes, it's been "approved" by the Consulate. As posted in the announcement, the Consulate is in charge of the proceedings and the Consul-General will speak. It is being held outside the walls of the Consulate, not inside.

If you have doubts, you can call the Consulate at 053 107 700 and, of course, you don't have to come if you don't wish.

I have to agree with this statement above: Not wise to congregate in large groups per Department of State.

I would encourage my fellow Americans, and others, not to gather.

Aside from the unusual circumstances of the murders in Florida, one must appreciate that according to statistics from 2014, an average of 91 Americans are killed by firearms EVERY DAY, yet we do not hold vigils for these victims every single day.

Be smart, be safe.

It's a public facebook page. You don't need to be a member of facebook to view it. Perhaps the link won't work, because I was logged in as a member when I copied the URL.

But, you could simply do a google search on "U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai Facebook" and you'll find the link.

As a side note: I'm astonished at how many people can't read the multiple posts about the event being held outside the consulate walls, not inside.

Aside from the unusual circumstances of the murders in Florida, one must appreciate that according to statistics from 2014, an average of 91 Americans are killed by firearms EVERY DAY, yet we do not hold vigils for these victims every single day.

Good point. Perhaps it's time we did.

I have to agree with this statement above: Not wise to congregate in large groups per Department of State.

I would encourage my fellow Americans, and others, not to gather.

Be smart, be safe.

It's a very very sad world , for some totally weird reason you seem to obeying the diktats of your Government thousands of miles away .

There are vigils going on across the world in support of an appalling homophobic atrocity .

You could extend your ideas to why don't we hold vigils for the victims of the biggest killer on the planet - which kills millions- especially children - malaria .

Just ignore the Government cr*p and show some solidarity with the gay community ?

I could understand a vigil at the scene of the crime, but in Thailand?

It's not a good thing when anyone is killed by another, but this happens all the time. Commemorating this event in Thailand seems purely self-serving to me.

Interestingly, the shooter succeeded in putting the very four percent of the world's population in the spotlight of sympathy that he so disdained.

By the way, I was not trying to say that everything that the US State Department says is worth listening to; I was just copy and pasting that comment in full.

I hope there are suitable toilet-assigned facilities at the vigil....

A mass murder terrorist atrocity targeting gay men in the USA happens all the time?
That's too stupid to even process.

This was the most severe mass shooting in American history and the first time gay people have been targeted for a terrorist attack by a terrorist with proven links to Islamist extremism. Certainly in the USA and probably all the west, though of course Islamists murder gay people all the time in their home territories. In many countries, they are murdered LEGALLY.

Yeah, happens all the time.

I certainly hope not!

Edited by Jingthing

The time for candlelight vigils is over, it’s now time to fight back and stop the push for domination by Islamists.

I'll be there. Can't let the b**stards think they've won.

What bastards? That the shooter happened to be Muslim wasn't the root of this shooting.

He was anti-LGBT, not pushing Islam on anyone. He hated anyone not 100% heterosexual.

I won't call him 'homophobic...' He wasn't 'afraid' of gay people. He was an insane dickdead with a gun. That's all.

If you are out there demonstrating, then they have won. If you ignore them, give them no recognition, then you've won.

Nothing wrong with showing your sympathy for the 50 people killed. Will you do it for the other hundreds killed too? Those killed every day by drunk drivers? Those killed by misdiagnosis by hospital? How about those people who are killed every day by hunger?

Or don't those folk make a big enough splash in the news for you to react?

Will you stand on the street with a lighted candle in support if there weren't others doing the same? Were you out there last night?

(Note: The "you" in this message was not directed specifically at the poster, but at all who need to wait for others to show sympathy before they react.)

I'm an American. By b**stards, I mean every malcontent that decides the answer to their sick, pathetic life is to take a gun and kill a bunch of decent, innocent people going about their lives. don;t care what their religion, political beliefs or general complaint is.

Followed by a march down Changklan road.... just kidding.

Don't be facetious - it's uncalled for.

The Muslim community in Chang Klan, as elsewhere in Chiang Mai, has always been peaceful and law abiding.

That is probably because they've never had their land expropriated or been subject to inhuman treatment of any kind.

There is a lesson to be learned from that.

Followed by a march down Changklan road.... just kidding.

Don't be facetious - it's uncalled for.

The Muslim community in Chang Klan, as elsewhere in Chiang Mai, has always been peaceful and law abiding.

That is probably because they've never had their land expropriated or been subject to inhuman treatment of any kind.

There is a lesson to be learned from that.

IMO, a bit of humor is always healing,

I made the comment as the last gathering outside the consulate came to mind.... I remembered when mussie people marched down Changklan road to the consulate to protest a movie that was made by a turkish guy in the US, on the life of the profit mo. ... dont think they burned a flag. ...the movie was awful but depicted mo. in a better light than their book does.

Edited by daoyai