Orlando Shooting Candle-Light Vigil at U.S. Consulate 7 pm Tues. evening

NancyL

I just hope the jesus freaks don't take over the event. They're a BIG part of our problem. HIS will be done. YEAH

Yes, while it's clear the Orlando attack was linked to radical Islamist ideology (the terrorist pledged his loyalty to ISIS) it shouldn't be ignored that the vast majority of violence and murder targeted at GLBT people in the USA throughout history has been done by Christian people (from just cultural secular Christians to fanatic fundamentalists following explicit anti-gay dogma). Of course, that's not surprising in that the USA is a majority Christian nation.

Of course that's not to suggest that most American Christians want to murder gays any more than suggesting that most American Muslims want to do that.

Edited by Jingthing

I just hope the jesus freaks don't take over the event. They're a BIG part of our problem. HIS will be done. YEAH

Yes, while it's clear the Orlando attack was linked to radical Islamist ideology (the terrorist pledged his loyalty to ISIS) it shouldn't be ignored that the vast majority of violence and murder targeted at GLBT people in the USA throughout history has been done by Christian people (from just cultural secular Christians to fanatic fundamentalists following explicit anti-gay dogma). Of course, that's not surprising in that the USA is a majority Christian nation.

Of course that's not to suggest that most American Christians want to murder gays any more than suggesting that most American Muslims want to do that.

Source?

This tragedy had nothing to do with guns or "homophobia". It had everything to do with radical Islamic terrorism.

http://on.wsj.com/28AdPZl

Yeah, I'll call gun control a separate issue, but to suggest gays weren't targeted in this Islamist terrorist attack is just part of the right wing anti-GLBT civil rights agenda. The majority of Americans aren't that hateful or stupid.

If a room full of JEWS would have been similarly massacred, would the right wingers deny the antisemitic aspect of a terrorist attack? Of course, they wouldn't.

GLBT Americans have to worry about Islamist terrorism like all other Americans, but they also have to worry about much more WIDESPREAD ignorance and bigotry that has nothing to do with Islam, Muslims, or Islamists.

The very same right wing republican politicians (almost all Christian identified) giving lip service to sympathy for the victims of Orlando (almost all young Latino GAY men) have disgusting records of opposing equal civil rights for GLBT Americans and being for actively discriminatory laws.

Edited by Jingthing

This tragedy had nothing to do with guns or "homophobia". It had everything to do with radical Islamic terrorism.

Yeah, I'll call gun control a separate issue, but to suggest gays weren't targeted in this Islamist terrorist attack is just part of the right wing anti-GLBT civil rights agenda. The majority of Americans aren't that hateful or stupid.

If a room full of JEWS would have been similarly massacred, would the right wingers deny the antisemitic aspect of a terrorist attack? Of course, they wouldn't.

GLBT Americans have to worry about Islamist terrorism like all other Americans, but they also have to worry about much more WIDESPREAD ignorance and bigotry that has nothing to do with Islam, Muslims, or Islamists.

The very same right wing republican politicians (almost all Christian identified) giving lip service to sympathy for the victims of Orlando (almost all young Latino GAY men) have disgusting records of opposing equal civil rights for GLBT Americans and being for actively discriminatory laws.

There are reports that the shooter himself was gay. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen-was-gay-former-classma/nrfwW/

and http://nypost.com/2016/06/13/shooter-used-to-visit-orlando-gay-club-use-gay-dating-apps/

Again, do you have a source to back up your statement that the vast majority of violence and murder targeted at GLBT people in the USA throughout history has been done by Christian people? Or is your statement just emotion?

Edited by mesquite

There are reports that the shooter himself was gay. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/orlando-shooter-omar-mateen-was-gay-former-classma/nrfwW/

and http://nypost.com/2016/06/13/shooter-used-to-visit-orlando-gay-club-use-gay-dating-apps/

Again, do you have a source to back up your statement that the vast majority of violence and murder targeted at GLBT people in the USA throughout history has been done by Christian people? Or is your statement just emotion?

If he was on the downlow and hung out at Pulse, that would explain his conflictied sensabilities, raised in a crazy afgan home, religion, culture, gay culure. too much for his mind. moslem gayness is complicted,in some places only the man in the womans role is seen as homo, the guy penatrating is str8, The taliban are kinky and buggering young boys is not concidered homo. ... maybe he was rejected, unpopular in the scene. I am sure as the story unfolds, more juicy details will quench our thirst for the sordid.

I am glad there was a good turnout for the candle gathering. Peace.

If he was on the downlow and hung out at Pulse, that would explain his conflictied sensabilities, raised in a crazy afgan home, religion, culture, gay culure. too much for his mind. moslem gayness is complicted,in some places only the man in the womans role is seen as homo, the guy penatrating is str8, The taliban are kinky and buggering young boys is not concidered homo. ... maybe he was rejected, unpopular in the scene. I am sure as the story unfolds, more juicy details will quench our thirst for the sordid.

I am glad there was a good turnout for the candle gathering. Peace.

All good points.

From what is known about him so far, it seems like he was a nut case who finally snapped.

That won't prevent the ​spinmeisters from using this tragedy to promote their own agendas.

Agenda, huh?

How about facts?

He self announced his loyalty to the radical Islamist ideology on the very same night that he committed the biggest mass shooting in U.S. history.

There are numerous credible witnesses of his radical Islamist sympathies to the point where the FBI investigated him and sadly made the mistake of clearing him.

The attack OBVIOUSLY linked to the radical Islamist ideology (not the same thing as the religion of Islam).

His choice of target was a gay club, where the vast majority of his victims were gay men, committing the biggest mass murder of gay people in U.S. history.

Radical Islamist ideology preaches that gay people should be killed and indeed they do so in their territories.

ISIS appears to favor throwing gays off tall buildings.

Other nations controlled by more "moderate" Muslims and Christians also have death penalty for gays under their laws, so in those places no terrorism needed.

Edited by Jingthing

The time for candlelight vigils is over, it’s now time to fight back and stop the push for domination by Islamists.

I'll be there. Can't let the b**stards think they've won.

What bastards? That the shooter happened to be Muslim wasn't the root of this shooting.

He was anti-LGBT, not pushing Islam on anyone. He hated anyone not 100% heterosexual.

I won't call him 'homophobic...' He wasn't 'afraid' of gay people. He was an insane dickdead with a gun. That's all.

If you are out there demonstrating, then they have won. If you ignore them, give them no recognition, then you've won.

Nothing wrong with showing your sympathy for the 50 people killed. Will you do it for the other hundreds killed too? Those killed every day by drunk drivers? Those killed by misdiagnosis by hospital? How about those people who are killed every day by hunger?

Or don't those folk make a big enough splash in the news for you to react?

Will you stand on the street with a lighted candle in support if there weren't others doing the same? Were you out there last night?

(Note: The "you" in this message was not directed specifically at the poster, but at all who need to wait for others to show sympathy before they react.)

then he hated himself. the news tonight is that he was gay and visited the club twice a month for over a year, chatted on apps with gay men, etc.

That won't prevent the ​spinmeisters from using this tragedy to promote their own agendas.

Yes.. that's also so sad.

The left wants to be blind as to the hateful nature of (not even all that radical) islam towards gay people.

The right chooses to be blind to the fact that it may not be desirable for every Abu Pubeface to walk into any gun store or show and walk out with an assault rifle.

And the (alleged) center is blind to all of the above and sees an opportunity more surveillance and less privacy for everyone.

All I was trying to do was publicize the event, which the U.S. Consulate and the other organizers handled with dignity and grace. It was a very moving event and once Steve has his photos posted on CityNow and I can post the link on this thread, I'm going to ask the Mods to close this thread so that the memory of the event isn't sullied by the "interesting specimens" which were nowhere in evidence at the actual event.

There are several other threads on the ThaiVisa News subforum where you can wallow in the discussions you'd like to have.

The time for candlelight vigils is over, it’s now time to fight back and stop the push for domination by Islamists.

I'll be there. Can't let the b**stards think they've won.

What bastards? That the shooter happened to be Muslim wasn't the root of this shooting.

He was anti-LGBT, not pushing Islam on anyone. He hated anyone not 100% heterosexual.

I won't call him 'homophobic...' He wasn't 'afraid' of gay people. He was an insane dickdead with a gun. That's all.

If you are out there demonstrating, then they have won. If you ignore them, give them no recognition, then you've won.

Nothing wrong with showing your sympathy for the 50 people killed. Will you do it for the other hundreds killed too? Those killed every day by drunk drivers? Those killed by misdiagnosis by hospital? How about those people who are killed every day by hunger?

Or don't those folk make a big enough splash in the news for you to react?

Will you stand on the street with a lighted candle in support if there weren't others doing the same? Were you out there last night?

(Note: The "you" in this message was not directed specifically at the poster, but at all who need to wait for others to show sympathy before they react.)

then he hated himself. the news tonight is that he was gay and visited the club twice a month for over a year, chatted on apps with gay men, etc.

And this surprises you? Didn't you take Psych 101?

Too many years ago I was working with a Psychiatrist who had a level of disdain for Psychology.

He opined that Psychology 101 could be summarized in three sentences and thereby save a semester of study.

1.) Folks do strange things.

2.) We don't know why.

3.) The test is on Friday.

In the end what I take away from this tragedy, is not the service at the consulate, or the Islam verses hate crime, but I will recall the immediate queuing of hundreds of people around the hospital, waiting for hours, to donate blood, No matter how bad an individuals acts may be, humanity always rises above it. In time I will forget his face and name, ..i will remember the queue.

Edited by mamborobert

All Muslims aren't terrorists. However, during these days, all terrorists are Muslim.

No, not all terrorists are Muslims.

On the other hand, I don't think there are organizations like ISIS representing other religious groups that are actively spreading their terrorist ideology so widely and successfully.

Edited by Jingthing