England fans jailed over Euro 2016 violence

webfact

England fans jailed over Euro 2016 violence

606x341_335499.jpg

"You see more justice in kangaroo courts"

MARSEILLE: -- At least six England football fans have been jailed after clashes on the sidelines of their team’s opening match against Russia in Marseille on Saturday.

But while ‘highly trained’ Russian hooligans were involved in the worst of the fighting, according to the city’s prosecutor, none of them were in the dock.

Chris Booth’s son Alex got two months behind bars for throwing a plastic bottle at police.

“It is a joke. It is a sacrilege…it is pathetic,” Booth senior told reporters in Marseille.

“What is the phrase for French justice?…You see more justice in kangaroo courts.”

“I’m truly sorry. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I’m no hooligan,” Booth, a 20-year-old cook, told the judge before his two-month sentence was read out.

French nationals and an Austrian were also in court for fast-track trials.

Defence lawyer Marion Dutard believes jail is intended as a clear signal.

“I think it is a verdict that shows they wanted to make an example and send a message,” she said.

“We are at the start of Euro 2016 and perhaps it is to discourage that kind of behaviour, to dissuade potential supporters at the next matches from behaving like that.”

After the weekend clashes, some Russians posted photos of themselves on social media holding stolen English supporters’ flags upside down – some spotted with blood – as trophies.

The hooligans, who often refer to themselves as ‘ultras’, belong to an organised tradition of hooliganism which has its roots mainly around clubs in Moscow and St Petersburg.

No Russians were arrested over the weekend, Marseille prosecutor Brice Robin acknowledged. Asked why not, the prosecutor said they had carried out lightning strikes which made arrests difficult and that closed-circuit television footage was still being studied. “These are highly trained people,” Robin said.

England fans have said they were ambushed by squads of Russian assailants in at least one incident, though the Marseille prosecutor made clear that England supporters were responsible for some of the skirmishes in Marseille.

European football’s governing body, UEFA, has launched disciplinary proceedings against Russia’s football authorities after their supporters stormed England fans in the Marseille stadium following the final whistle.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-14

Most people go to enjoy the football.

Unfortunately, some just go looking for trouble.

Then when they get jailed, family, friends, start moaning about the treatment they received.

Ye sRussian fans were involved, but also seeing some of the footage, many English fans were also to blame.

The French are hopeless at things like security, wars and running a country. This tournament is only in its first week and is a shambles already. Awful security, heavy-handed police and no Russian 'fans' held to account. But as long as they send some English down (and deserved for those that step out of line, no doubt), that's the main thing, hey.

Edited by daveAustin

mickmac, on 14 Jun 2016 - 14:29, said:

And why were there no French fans arrested, as they were as bad as the Russians and England supporters?

French nationals and an Austrian were also in court for fast-track trials.

Do keep up, mickmac. wink.png

Edit: what is the matter with the forum quotes again? Every few months it's the same, jeez.

Edited by wooloomooloo

But while ‘highly trained’ Russian hooligans were involved in the worst of the fighting, according to the city’s prosecutor, none of them were in the dock.

Putins hand of evil... at it again.

I do hope the Russians lose the right to host the 2018 World Cup, I can see it now any foreigner is likely to get a bashing for just wearing their favourite football shirt.

If the 2018 world cup is not moved it likely to be a blood bath.

If you throw something at the police then cry Boo Hoo "Its my first time" Boo Hoo .Jail for you mate.You wasn't as smart or may be as quick to get away so now you are crying the blue because others got away and you didn't..I hope that you learn a lesson about not throwing anything at the police in Any Country.Now Man Up and quit looking like the pussy soccer players wailing on the pitch for a scratch.

The French are hopeless at things like security, wars and running a country. This tournament is only in its first week and is a shambles already. Awful security, heavy-handed police and no Russian 'fans' held to account. But as long as they send some English down (and deserved for those that step out of line, no doubt), that's the main thing, hey.

It seems that the Marseille prosecutor is aware of the organized intent of a core group of Russian thugs. But that the French police are either incapable or unwilling to tackle them. All to difficult and a bit risky. Normal French policing then.

Then when they get jailed, family, friends, start moaning about the treatment they received.

Ye sRussian fans were involved, but also seeing some of the footage, many English fans were also to blame.

Unfortunately shades of the bad old days again.

Unfortunately shades of the bad old days again.

I don't believe that, I was a supporter back in those days it was terrible, scary every game.

To be fair England fans are always targeted by the locals at these games due to their past reputation, I have seen this in Belgium, sadly it is usually the locals that go free.

The Russians stormed the English fans in the stadium and there was loads of CCTV and video footage, common police go out and get them, or maybe as these are hardened criminal gangs, a mojor problem in the old soviet bloc they are scared to do so! Bit like their effective policing in general, not.

I have no issue with English hooligans getting arrested, they get involved they deserve it.

However all should be imprisoned, not a select few!

There was nothing organized by English fans for violence those days are over mostly, they just want to drink,sing and be obnoxious, but if attacked of course they will fight back, its what Englishmen do.

This Russian mop are a different story and FIFA needs to crack down hard on Russia, i really believe they should be kicked out now from this competition