TOT Fibre To Home - 20mB/10mB-700Baht per Month

Generalchaos

Well,

we managed to get the FTTH from TOT, paid 299Baht for the TP Link (junk) router and the Chinese fibre interface. Cable and joint connections were done very well, not a bodge as I first expected. The speed is great way better than ADSL and we get anything from 20mB to 25mB consistently.

The only negative thing from the installation is that the Sub Contractors TOT are using in our area could not give a toss if they actually set up your system correctly - i.e. You have working internet. Their only concern is that the fat guy with the TOT laptop can connect to the internet and get the download speed.

At my place I use the Linksys EA6700 WiFi router, much better than the TPlink 2.4 GHz thing they suppy (299 Baht I am not knocking it - I just like my router better)

So the Sub Contractors hook up the TP Link to the Chinese ZTX bridge and then test the connection. They then say everything is fine and hook my router to the Tp-;link, so, double NAT and won't connect.

They also tell me that I have to use the TP link router otherwise "It Won't Work"

They left no log on or password details, so if I needed to reset the TP link I would have been stuffed!

Anyway, I rang TOT on the 1100 number and after a few security questions they gave me the correct log in and password, so I was able to remove the TPlink router and put the Linksys back and all is working like a dream.

Anyone want to buy a brand new TPlink 300MBS Router? Still with its box..............................Going cheap!

for the TP Link (junk) a generous offer of 1 satang with free shipping

Tight Ass! It is a quality piece of plastic that could be ground down into granules to be reused as something useful. The plastic antenna could be great for cleaning the back end of a cat or dog, or even ear wax on people with large ears. (have you got a one satang coin? I'd love to have it, my pockets end up filled with the 25 satang washers) The 50 satang, the silver 2 Baht that looks like a one Baht - cleverly enscribed with a marker pen by the locals to denote its value.

I keep a bag by the side of my desk where I empty a lot of my waste metal for future recycling - I was amazed to find I had over 1500 Baht in useless bits of metallic shrapnel - it must be worth more in scrap value than currency.

My local SCB Bank refuses to accept this sort of debris, they tell you to take it to the 7/11 if you want to change it into something useful, like a banknote or a hot dog.

Edited by Generalchaos

what I have found is the speed is only between your connection and their servers, it is always within the range they guarantee but the speed to connect to anything outside their own system, ie, the internet in general can be a lot slower, I go from 40 mb to less than 1 mb during high usage times yet if you test the speed purely on their system it is still around 40mb, I have had my speed that slow pages will not load from the web. Because they cannot control the gateways into Thailand and the amount of traffic on them the speeds you get will only ever be what the gateway traffic allows, the supplier of the fibre optics can only guarantee their own system and not the web itself, I actually had the person that installed ours tell us it is no better than adsl during busy times, I am seriously looking at going back to adsl after all the crap I have had over the last 12 months with fibre to the home. The speeds are governed by the amount of people using the web and the gateways, your supplier can do nothing about it, if the web is busy you will not get the advertised speeds, just try using one of the speed tests outside of Thailand so you get a true reading of your internet download and upload speeds, not just the speed of only the internal system you are using as that is not your internet access speed

How is speed to Europe/UK ? Have you tried with testmy.net ?

I use VPN to Europe for BBC I player and similar - it never buffers like it did with the copper.

I measured one connection to London and it was able to hit 4-5mB (just monitored using the network section in Win 10 Task manager.

I tried testmy.net and download is 20.9mb

Edited by Generalchaos

what I have found is the speed is only between your connection and their servers, it is always within the range they guarantee but the speed to connect to anything outside their own system, ie, the internet in general can be a lot slower, I go from 40 mb to less than 1 mb during high usage times yet if you test the speed purely on their system it is still around 40mb, I have had my speed that slow pages will not load from the web. Because they cannot control the gateways into Thailand and the amount of traffic on them the speeds you get will only ever be what the gateway traffic allows, the supplier of the fibre optics can only guarantee their own system and not the web itself, I actually had the person that installed ours tell us it is no better than adsl during busy times, I am seriously looking at going back to adsl after all the crap I have had over the last 12 months with fibre to the home. The speeds are governed by the amount of people using the web and the gateways, your supplier can do nothing about it, if the web is busy you will not get the advertised speeds, just try using one of the speed tests outside of Thailand so you get a true reading of your internet download and upload speeds, not just the speed of only the internal system you are using as that is not your internet access speed

If I use Ookla and set my server to London, I get a ping of 228 ms but the speed is still over 20mb and upload is 8.7, so no complaints to be honest.

By far one of the best improvements is the high upload speed. If you try to use something like Onedrive to upload files on the ADSL with an upload speed of 512K, then you will find that your download speed drops to almost nothing. With a 10mb upload, the download speed is able to stay almost at 20mb.

Edited by Generalchaos

Had the copper wire.

In busy times no signal at all.

Now have fibre, in busy times slow, otherwise higher as promised.

VPN works great!

We've had the TOT fibre for about two years now and the connection is rock solid. Download speeds of 26Mb/s and upload speeds of 3Mb/s are normal. I can't praise TOT enough.

Had the copper wire.

In busy times no signal at all.

Now have fibre, in busy times slow, otherwise higher as promised.

VPN works great!

We've had the TOT fibre for about two years now and the connection is rock solid. Download speeds of 26Mb/s and upload speeds of 3Mb/s are normal. I can't praise TOT enough.

Good to hear, I must admit going from ADSL 10MB/512K to this fibre 20/10 is like night and day. Credit to TOT! As I said in a previous post, the 10mb upload lets you use Onedrive and cloud storage without grinding your network to a standstill. Onedrive was unusable for me before, as soon as it started to sync files, the download speed just drops like a stone, then the screaming from the other room starts where my son is playing on the PS4!

Guess I have to be patient for some time, as no fibre around our city in a wide , very wide circle. If you can read this, than the ADSL is working =:)

But the .. has promised all cities to be connected with fibre before end 2017 ???

• 1 year later...
On 15/06/2016 at 5:26 PM, ardsong said:

Guess I have to be patient for some time, as no fibre around our city in a wide , very wide circle. If you can read this, than the ADSL is working =:)

But the .. has promised all cities to be connected with fibre before end 2017 ???

We are in the sticks (approx 90 houses in total) (Big City (Buriram) is around 30kms away and the nearest village is around 2kms away) and this morning workers were installing cable around our village. And when asked what cable it was, they said "TOT Fibre", and can you apply to get it in approx 1 month time.

So if they are installing Fibre in our Village I wouldn't be surprised, if it is also coming to where you live very soon.

On 7/13/2017 at 3:13 PM, MJCM said:

We are in the sticks (approx 90 houses in total) (Big City (Buriram) is around 30kms away and the nearest village is around 2kms away) and this morning workers were installing cable around our village. And when asked what cable it was, they said "TOT Fibre", and can you apply to get it in approx 1 month time.

So if they are installing Fibre in our Village I wouldn't be surprised, if it is also coming to where you live very soon.

Do you think they'll ever get as daring as to offer it in condo buildings in urban areas?

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

Do you think they'll ever get as daring as to offer it in condo buildings in urban areas?

If you told me 1 year ago, that next year I can get Fibre installed in the area where I live, I would have declared you MAD ;) At the moment my Internet (since I am living here) consists of receiving a Wireless Signal (TOT WiNet) from a Tower 3 kms away with a receiver on top of a 17m high tower (cost 17k+ THB to get it installed) in our own Garden. (Download) Speed fluctuates from 0.0001 Mbps to 10Mbps so anything above that (with Fibre) is for me a good thing. And the reliability of WiNet is not that great, I sometimes don't have internet for 1-2 weeks, because something on the Main Tower has broken down and thus I have to use 3G :(

Coming back to your question, why NOT ;)

Here is a topic about Fibre in Condos

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/840916-fiber-on-a-high-condo-floor/

Edited by MJCM

22 hours ago, MJCM said:

If you told me 1 year ago, that next year I can get Fibre installed in the area where I live, I would have declared you MAD ;) At the moment my Internet (since I am living here) consists of receiving a Wireless Signal (TOT WiNet) from a Tower 3 kms away with a receiver on top of a 17m high tower (cost 17k+ THB to get it installed) in our own Garden. (Download) Speed fluctuates from 0.0001 Mbps to 10Mbps so anything above that (with Fibre) is for me a good thing. And the reliability of WiNet is not that great, I sometimes don't have internet for 1-2 weeks, because something on the Main Tower has broken down and thus I have to use 3G :(

Coming back to your question, why NOT ;)

Here is a topic about Fibre in Condos

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/840916-fiber-on-a-high-condo-floor/

Oh, I absolutely know that they *can* run fibre into and up high-rise condos, they simply *won't.*  My comment was wondering out loud that if they are willing to spend the considerable effort and expense to set up the infrastructure to run fibre lines out to somewhat remote rural areas, why don't they spend (what I assume is) less money to tap into the fibre lines which are already running down main thoroughfares in urban areas and over to the many high-rise condo buildings?  3BB, True and AIS consistently say they won't provide fibre service in condo buildings.  Even low-rise condo buildings.

I actually *have* a fibre optic line run directly into my unit in a Jomtien high-rise condo by a local provider, but sadly their product as far as bandwidth sucks ... I get better overseas throughput on my 18/1.8 Mbps ADSL package than I did on their fibre 30/10 Mbps plan.

</rant off>

On 15/06/2016 at 3:41 PM, schondie said:

I wanted to get the tot Fibre  200/50MB but they were unable to install in my area yet, ended up getting true Fibre 100/30

Its not perfect but it is a big improvement over anything copper.... 

They still throttle some activitys 

On 16/07/2017 at 3:57 PM, wpcoe said:

They can run Fibre to higher floors but they really don't like to... 

Fibre travels at a fraction of the speed of light so even if it comes the last leg of the journey through telephone cables or coax it will still be way faster than the older technologies 

You might have to get connected to a switch box outside your building or inside at the ground floor, that's what i got and it's working fine... 

Can download a movie in 2 min etc