Deputies: Gator drags toddler into water near Disney resort in Orlando

webfact

Deputies: Gator drags toddler into water near Disney resort

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Authorities are searching for a child who was dragged into the water by an alligator near Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa in Orlando.

Multiple news outlets report that Orange County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Rose Silva says the 2-year-old child was dragged into the Seven Seas Lagoon about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Deputies are continuing to search the waters.

Silva says the child has not been found.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-15

As I'm interested in moving to Florida, I did a little research about gators. They're in many kinds of water bodies there and I think this is the season where they're very hungry. Locals would know don't walk near water especially at night. Very sad for this toddler and family. Orlando tourism is definitely having a rough patch. The gators don't have a special interest in eating humans ... but when you're very hungry and there is the opportunity. Their brains are TINY.

Edited by Jingthing

This has got to be the ultimate in nightmares for these parents.... Playing with your child in a foot of water only to see him snatched into the jaws of an alligator, I am removed by many many miles and the complete unknowness of the family and it gives me just tremors. As a parent, I can think of nothing more frightening

God be with this child and may he rest in peace

• 2 weeks later...

This has got to be the ultimate in nightmares for these parents.... Playing with your child in a foot of water only to see him snatched into the jaws of an alligator, I am removed by many many miles and the complete unknowness of the family and it gives me just tremors. As a parent, I can think of nothing more frightening

God be with this child and may he rest in peace

It would be a nightmare for the parents IF they were playing in the water with their child. The news reports I have read indicate the child was alone in the water and the water was about a foot deep where he was walking/wading.

Seems more like the parents are a nightmare. What the hell was a 2 year old doing, playing in a lake, alone, after dark?

First the zoo incident and now this.

I could say 'fortunately' only one fatality as a result of the 2 incidents, but there's nothing fortunate about the death of this child.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/alligator-attacks-child-disney-florida/