cth terminating KU service

nahkit

CTH are displaying a message saying that the Ku band service on Thaicom will terminate on the 1st of August.

This follows on from them terminating the C band service back in April.

Details of compensation will be displayed on their website as of 15th June (today).

I've been on the website and there is absolutely nothing there in English.

Do you think their compensation package will include the money I wasted switching from C band to Ku band?

Answers on the back of a postage stamp.

Which is why my replacement unit is still sitting on living room chair. Will stick with C-band free service. Have True fiber CATV from my internet service for the one location where need pay channels.

We have a year of platinum given after GMM folded.. But frankly 9 times from 10 I see the missus using the free iLikeHD account on my android boxes for Thai TV, I certainly dont want or need it, everything I watch is timeshifted and downloads, I have a (legit) BTSport account for UFC and motoGP live which is the only sport I feel any desire to see.

All they are doing is killing the customer base as people more to more user friendly systems. Streamed TV is on our tablets, on our phones, on our TVs in any room.. Just makes the older systems look like hard work and large expense.

Does this mean that CTH are getting out of the satellite game altogether? At present I access their satellite service through a blue dish pointed at the Vinansat 2 satellite hovering over Vietnam. Will my TV screen also be going dark on all CTH channels as from 1st August?

Does this mean that CTH are getting out of the satellite game altogether? At present I access their satellite service through a blue dish pointed at the Vinansat 2 satellite hovering over Vietnam. Will my TV screen also be going dark on all CTH channels as from 1st August?

Good question but getting an answer may be somewhat illusive. When does your current subscription expire, are you on the remnants of the 3 year deal? I've still got my unused blue dish stuck to the house following my first fallout with CTH from 2 years back.

Does seem Thaicom specific so you should be OK for now on Vinansat. But for the rest of us "here we go again" good to see some of the familiar names from the GMMZ debacle are still here.

Edited by Linesy

The dish itself can be used for anything (using Ku band) - it depends on the direction pointed. True dish is often used for receiving other services than True. But believe True does use the Ku band on Thaicom 5/6 so will not be picking up CTH after end of July until you re position antenna.

The CTH Facebook page is awash with disgruntled Thai citizens with numerous references to "middle finger".

Unfortunately or should I say unsurprisingly there is zero info on Facebook or their website about what to do next and meanwhile it looks like we will have to put up with their annoying scrolling message until they cut us off, again!

Thairath are reporting meetings next week with consumer protection and the broadcasting authority and there is speculation that CTH could have their license revoked as the maximum punishment. If so this could be the end of CTH as we know it.

I have their setup installed by them 18 months ago with the blue CTH dish so presumably will be ok? I'm keeping with them for the moment due to their showing of Euro 2016 football and no information yet of EPL provider for next season apart from rumours it'll be True. I'm going back to uk for five weeks from 27 July by which time presumably we'll know. It's in my wife's name so are you supposed to give them one months notice of termination or just let it lapse by not paying? Am I due any refund from returning their equipment (although I understand even if so you may as well whistle for it!) ? My thoughts are to let it lapse and be cut off and sort out a new provider based on EPL rights next season when I get back in September,any advice?

They do seem to be an apalling company even by the rotten standards of Thai customer service

I have their setup installed by them 18 months ago with the blue CTH dish so presumably will be ok? I'm keeping with them for the moment due to their showing of Euro 2016 football and no information yet of EPL provider for next season apart from rumours it'll be True. I'm going back to uk for five weeks from 27 July by which time presumably we'll know. It's in my wife's name so are you supposed to give them one months notice of termination or just let it lapse by not paying? Am I due any refund from returning their equipment (although I understand even if so you may as well whistle for it!) ? My thoughts are to let it lapse and be cut off and sort out a new provider based on EPL rights next season when I get back in September,any advice?

They do seem to be an apalling company even by the rotten standards of Thai customer service

Probably worth keeping your subscription going at least until you get back from the UK. If you were to let it lapse and CTH were to be sub-contracted the EPL rights by BEIN in the meantime, you would then have to resurrect it in September.

That assumes, of course, that CTH are still in business then (see Linesy's posting immediately before yours).

Edited by OJAS

Further details in press reports: CTH have no intention of renewing their contract with Fox Asia so good bye Fox Sports, Movies, News etc..

Also other references to them turning down a non exclusive deal with BEIN for EPL rights amongst others. Still no mention of True getting it either.

Personally I think the writing is on the wall and if you are dependent on the CTH service, no matter which satellite it is looking at, you should be considering your contingency plans asap.

Probably worth keeping your subscription going at least until you get back from the UK. If you were to let it lapse and CTH were to be sub-contracted the EPL rights by BEIN in the meantime, you would then have to resurrect it in September.

That assumes, of course, that CTH are still in business then (see Linesy's posting immediately before yours).

It's surely got to be sorted before 27 July with only two weeks before the start of the season? Surely if you let it lapse it's only a question of paying your bill again for reconnection unless anyone knows different.? Considered opinion here seems to be they're f***d and deservedly so.

"CTH has losses of almost 10 Billion baht and will lay off its staff of 100 in the next 2 weeks" "CTH's top executives have resigned and the ailing company can no longer survive"

Don't think they will even make it to the 1st August.

Edited by Linesy

"CTH has losses of almost 10 Billion baht and will lay off its staff of 100 in the next 2 weeks" "CTH's top executives have resigned and the ailing company can no longer survive"

Yikes,although they surely deserve it . Where is that quote from? Doesn't look like they'll get to the end of the euros even which is a bit of a buggar for me

Yikes,although they surely deserve it . Where is that quote from? Doesn't look like they'll get to the end of the euros even which is a bit of a buggar for me
Quotes taken from the usual Thai press that I'm probably not allowed to mention, so no guarantee of accuracy! Today reported only 4.55 Billion loss and talk of transferring prepaid customers to "another" service on the Vinansat, also talk of downsizing packages so probably nothing to watch anyway. Tomorrow will probably be another story.

All services for CTH will probably be cut in the 2nd minute of the Euros final.

If it really is bust then there will be no refunds whatever it says on the screen. I believe that Thailand has an administration/bankruptcy system similar to the UK and as soon as any administrator walks in he will send the awful truth that the company cannot be traded on. In a bankruptcy customers are way down the pecking order in paying out on liabilities. Pay for this month to get the Euros and hope they survive that long.

Looks like True has the country by the short & curlies for the forseeable future in terms of monopoly satellite services. Speculation but I would bet that the Mexican stand - off (my assumption that is the current status) that is the BeIn/True negotiation over the price to be paid to show the Premier League will continue into the season.

<deleted> FA for showing that money is the only priority - fans can go take hike. [scudamore was noticeably silent when awarding the rights to BeIn about how happy he was to have secured a great future for Prem watching in Thailand. Had to avoid dishonest claims of such, which he made about the ingenu CTH 3.5 years ago would ya believe]. Even the despot squaddie can't do a thing about it as BeIn cannot be section 44d. Perhaps he can order True to cave on the negotiations]

P'S. No need to pay CTH of course unless you don't have enough oomph wifi to take Internet protocol TV or if you are prepared to live the life of a mole for the month and watch live in the wee hours on free2air. Even the latter means watching only one game a day while the coterminous matches are showing (CTH has replays).

CTH Marketing Director attended the meeting, NBTC told CTH to delay KU-Thaicom termination for another 2-3 months to come up with "proper measures". CTH would ask "top managers" to consider postponing the move.

So that's clear then! Obviously not important enough for "top managers" to attend the meeting.

Edited by Linesy

I've just received my bill incorporating a letter advising about termination of thaicom ku from 1 August and the bill is prorated down to about 600 baht from 1069 which would have taken me to 12 th of August. Is there any other version continuing after 1august ? I didn't even know what version I was on.Just curious as I'm off to uk for five weeks on 27 July anyway . How soon after the due date (12th in my case) do they cut you off in event of non payment. I'm just thinking in terms of not paying as I'm guessing it unlikely I'll get back my deposit for returning the equipment.

Just heard from a friend in Samui that True have got EPL but bar owners being asked 3000 baht month. Any verification and what domestic charges are?

I've just received my bill incorporating a letter advising about termination of thaicom ku from 1 August and the bill is prorated down to about 600 baht from 1069 which would have taken me to 12 th of August. Is there any other version continuing after 1august ? I didn't even know what version I was on.Just curious as I'm off to uk for five weeks on 27 July anyway . How soon after the due date (12th in my case) do they cut you off in event of non payment. I'm just thinking in terms of not paying as I'm guessing it unlikely I'll get back my deposit for returning the equipment.

Just heard from a friend in Samui that True have got EPL but bar owners being asked 3000 baht month. Any verification and what domestic charges are?

Same here. So it looks like CTH are getting out of the satellite game altogether after 31st July. But does this actually mean that they will finally be deceased, expired and deceased as a TV service provider from this date? Or will they still be viewable via cable (fat lot of good that would be in our neck of the woods where cable TV in any shape or form is non-existent, though)?

I, too, am tempted to withhold payment of my final bill in lieu of receiving any refund for the return of their equipment. As I recall from our billing shenanigans with them a year ago, what will then happen is that we will be presented with an on-screen reminder of the outstanding payment on 22nd July and then be cut off a week later around noon on 29th July- just 2 days before they go dark forever on our TV screens in any event.

But what I find potentially worrying is that True will then have a monopoly in the Thai satellite TV market (unless, of course, there are any other operators out there of which I am unaware).

Edited by OJAS

• 4 weeks later...