Am I crazy to attempt at renewing my work permit myself?

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for reading my post. I am new on this forum, this is my first post. I am writing to seek some advice on whether it is possible to renew my work permit myself.

I have lived in Thailand for three years. I read, write and speak Thai. In spite of my comfort with the Thai language, am I crazy to attempt at renewing my work permit myself?

I am based in Phuket. I am currently being charged THB30000 every year for work permit renewal. It costs THB15000 for me to stay here every month just on visa and lawyer fees, all of which is starting to add up. I am looking at ways I can cut running costs of my company.

I am wondering if it is possible to cut work permit renewal as an expense out of my fledgling business? Or would it be too hard for me to do because of my status as a foreigner?

Pardon my naivety, your guidance is much appreciated.

Many thanks for your advice and help in advance.

Chin Chin

A work they provide me with all the documents required (last time it was about 60 pages for me; I have seen applications that must have included at least 200 pages), and they fill in the form for me. Although it is written in Thai and English, in practice the Labour Office requires it in Thai.

I deal the Labour Office myself, though get the impression they would prefer not deal with foreigners. Unlike the visa, it is not a requirement that you do it in person. I get the impression that most people just sign a Power of Attorney form, and someone else does it for them, either from where they work, or an agent. It is not always straight forward; there have been times when I have had to go away and return with more documents.

There is a fee of 100 baht to be paid upon presenting the application, and another fee of 3,000 baht for a 1 year work permit (or less for shorter terms), paid before receiving the renewed Work Permit.

Time was that they divided it into two work permit periods, a three month one (1,500 baht) and a 9 month one (3,000 baht), costing a total of 4.500 baht. I queried that, which was regarded as impertinent, and was simply told to cough up or leave without a work permit. For the past few years it has been just the 12 month fee.

Over the years processing time has varied from a couple of weeks or more, to done the same day. Currently it stands at about a week between presenting the application and picking up the renewed Work Permit. You need to call first to check that it is ready.

Strictly speaking the employer is responsible for the Work Permit fee (and application?). Where I am now a new employee covers the cost of the initial work permit, but the employer reimburses renewals; a relatively recent concession.

Edited by Aj Mick
  • Like 1

Whether it is practicable to handle work permit applications and renewals yourself depends on the local labor department office. Some can be helpful in leading you through the process. Others will expect all documentation to be perfect without telling you what they need. A long time ago, the process was streamlined (it used to take longer) and it was a stated objective that non professionals should be able to navigate the requirements.

I did it my self one and a half year ago, not very difficult if you have a good accountant .

You just need a letter from your employer or from your self if you are owner.

Some company papers and your done.

Take the 2 year option , cost you 6000,-

I was in and out in 20 minutes , never in my mind i would pay 30.000 for that.

Good luck

"Strictly speaking the employer is responsible for the Work Permit fee "

No, who pays for the WP is a matter for the employer and employee to decide, there is no rule stating that the employer should pay.

Strictly speaking the applicant is responsible for the work permit fee. In all cases the applicant is the employee. Anyone else applying on behalf of the employee (even if it is the empkoyer), is an agent.

OP - in Bangkok it is very doable with your skill set. I have found the Department of Labour to be very helpful and straightforward.

Give them the required documents, pay the fee and that's it. The skill is more about collating the correct forms.

Like many things, don't expect it to be finalised first time. You might have to submit a couple of extra documents to evidence your application.

You will be fine, I have always found Phuket Labour to be polite and helpful.

Go in with what you have a couple of weeks before the WP expiry date; Phuket Labour Department will tell you which additional documents you need and as to what format they should be in.

They are generally ok with individuals applying, but it's certainly much easier if you can read and speak Thai or have a Thai speaker with you, plus they do require some of the forms to be filled out in Thai.

If you are competent in Thai and can obtain the correct papers, then in my opinion, an agent/accountant/lawyer will simply be a waste of money.

Do however plan for 2-3 visits to get everything perfect as they definitely do like dotted i's and crossed t's.

Thank you all for replying to my post. All information here is extremely helpful. A special thanks to:

Blackcab, I have wondered if Bangkok will be easier as Phuket it seems to me has a different set of rules often. You have confirmed it. I am going to pay a visit to the labour department in Bangkok and ask them for a list of required documents which I can prepare for Phuket.

Aj Mick, like you, I got the same impression too that the labour department here in Phuket in particular prefer to deal with Thais. In fact they speak less upon realising I understand them, strange phenomenon.

Terminatorchiangmai, yes I agree I never thought it would require THB30000 too. So painful for me to pay the bill after three years' experience here. Lucky you to pay only THB6000.

I will attempt it here in Phuket and post how I get on.

Thanks once again for taking the time to write and reply to my post.

Chin Chin

• Like 1

You will be fine, I have always found Phuket Labour to be polite and helpful.

Go in with what you have a couple of weeks before the WP expiry date; Phuket Labour Department will tell you which additional documents you need and as to what format they should be in.

They are generally ok with individuals applying, but it's certainly much easier if you can read and speak Thai or have a Thai speaker with you, plus they do require some of the forms to be filled out in Thai.

If you are competent in Thai and can obtain the correct papers, then in my opinion, an agent/accountant/lawyer will simply be a waste of money.

Do however plan for 2-3 visits to get everything perfect as they definitely do like dotted i's and crossed t's.

Wow this is encouraging, I will try them first then, might have gotten the lady on a bad day. Thanks for advice.

All the forms to take and fill out are here http://www.doe.go.th/en/document-category/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7 Accounting papers to be attached according to the list.

Better take someone from thai staff with you, if you are too advanced and handle everything yourself, they will tell you something like 'Cannot represent yourself, bring khon Thai'. Besides, some license for a company hiring foreigners is needed. For renewal (WP5) might be ok, but for first time WP3 it is in the list.