Buying Thai baht - UK or Thailand?

I would buy it in Thailand but would travel only after the Brexit vote (chances are it will not happen as per the financial options positioning on the pound) and this will send the pound soaring...so a win win situation

cheesy.gif i think the exact opposite will apply in case the UK exit the EU, for very obvious reasons.... you better buy before the 23rd (just in case).

Oh, and don't take out small amounts from cash machines as one poster advised. You'll b charged 180 baht (I.e. £3.70ish) per transaction usually, which will make for a really terrible total conversion rate.

oops its been 200baht ATM transaction fee for quite a long time now. and most likely your UK bank will change you an additional overseas transaction fee. listen to all posts about clean new unmarked notes that's very important also you could exchange a small amount when you arrive at the airport for taxi etc rates not that good unless superrich is open.

Don't ever buy Baht in the UK.

Do not buy outside Thailand. THB still not free convertible.

You can also use any ATM with European bank cards (sometimes: if your bank knows of your travel).

Actually I believe you're wrong. THB stopped being treated as a non-deliverable currency by banks (where they would settle in a different currency if offshore).

Also Bloomberg stopped quoting the THO exchange rate with a "refer to THB" a few weeks ago.

Edited by bkk_mike

However when I first started coming here I always used to get a few thousand baht in the UK - I just felt more comfortable arriving in a foreign country with a ready supply of local currency to hand.

Sure you can take sterling but again no guarantees the bureau de'change will be open when you arrive. Even if it is you will pay a punitive rate in the airport. I just felt more comfortable to always have some ready cash on me - and the few quid I lost by getting it in the UK was worth it for my peace of mind.

Pro tip: savvy repeat travelers to the Kingdom have learned to hold back some 'starter baht' from the last trip to get them going on the next trip.

The exchange booths at BKK arrivals operate 24/7. They are part of the tourism process. The odds of finding them closed is about the same as finding the ATM networks down: minute.

But yes belt and suspenders are the way to go; so I enter with starter baht, USD cash, two debit and two credit cards. And yes it is a good idea to notify your financial institution when you will be abroad.

SL

YES make sure the uk notes have NO writing on them whatsoever, is seems shops/ bank people in the UK like to write numbers on them, to a thai, money exchange, this is a DEFACED note,and will be REJETED. on another aside, if you drop a note on the floor here do not put your foot on it, this is jail time, as classed as disrespecting the king.

However when I first started coming here I always used to get a few thousand baht in the UK - I just felt more comfortable arriving in a foreign country with a ready supply of local currency to hand.

Sure you can take sterling but again no guarantees the bureau de'change will be open when you arrive. Even if it is you will pay a punitive rate in the airport. I just felt more comfortable to always have some ready cash on me - and the few quid I lost by getting it in the UK was worth it for my peace of mind.

Pro tip: savvy repeat travelers to the Kingdom have learned to hold back some 'starter baht' from the last trip to get them going on the next trip.

The exchange booths at BKK arrivals operate 24/7. They are part of the tourism process. The odds of finding them closed is about the same as finding the ATM networks down: minute.

But yes belt and suspenders are the way to go; so I enter with starter baht, USD cash, two debit and two credit cards. And yes it is a good idea to notify your financial institution when you will be abroad.

SL

I always bring 20,000 in baht and just keep in wallet for next time

don't change money in the UK, exchange a small amount at the airport in Thailand for your immediate needs.

You should then exchange at a bank. You could draw from an ATM but there is a 200baht fee to do this.

You can also withdraw in a bank with your card, I have done this and not incurred the ATM fee.

If you exchange cash in a bank be aware that some banks may not accept notes that have been written on.

Unless I missed it.superrich didn't have a branch lost on their website. Is there one in korat and even if I did use the airport one would their rate be any better than the banks?

I've never seen one outside of Bangkok, personally, Superich, Go to The Mall for banks Edited by Ireland32

Unless I missed it.superrich didn't have a branch lost on their website. Is there one in korat and even if I did use the airport one would their rate be any better than the banks?

Superrich is always better than the banks. The green Superrich is usually better than the orange one

Green 50.6

Orange (airport branch) 50.2

at the moment banks between 49.62 and 48.59

Head office rates are typically better

Both green and orange Superrich have airport kiosks or sub branches

Green has one at Phuket airport

Orange has one in Khoen Kaen

There is none in Korat.

Green is http://www.superrichthailand.com

Orange is http://www.superrich.co.th/rate.php

If you only want to exchange a little then the airport bank kiosks are convenient. If you want to exchange quit a lot then go to

SUPERRICH THAILAND

Rajdamri

Sell & Buy foreign currencies

45 Soi Rajdamri 1, Rajdamri, Patumwan

Bangkok, 10330, Thailand

Call Center

T: +66 (0)2 254-4444

F: +66 (0)2 255-4455

Operating Hours

Monday - Friday

9:00 - 18:00

Saturday and Public Holidays