Buying Thai baht - UK or Thailand?

My personal recommendation is:

- Don´t buy in the UK.

- Purchase the minimum you need on arrival at BKK airport.

- You get excellent rates at superrich thailand booths (look those up on superrichthailand.com

Enjoy LOS....

Don't ever buy Baht in the UK.

Do not buy outside Thailand. THB still not free convertible.

You can also use any ATM with European bank cards (sometimes: if your bank knows of your travel).

Although I understand there is a higher charge for using a foreign bank card , it is better to draw the money you immediately need at the Thai ATM .

I have found the British exchange rate very mean and always transfer money in pounds sterling for the more generous Thai exchange rate .

It is much better to draw a little money at a time in Thailand rather than bringing a lump sum or travelers checks that could be stolen or lost .

Have you seen the Thai and foreign charges for withdrawing "a little money at a time"?

Although I understand there is a higher charge for using a foreign bank card , it is better to draw the money you immediately need at the Thai ATM .

I have found the British exchange rate very mean and always transfer money in pounds sterling for the more generous Thai exchange rate .

It is much better to draw a little money at a time in Thailand rather than bringing a lump sum or travelers checks that could be stolen or lost .

The denomination column on the super-rich site is not indicating the actual note type, but rather the actual amount of the transaction. I recently made a large conversion and found a big difference between the main banks and the rate offered by Supper Rich was much better. Also the spread is much smaller being 0.5% rather than the 3 to 5% offered by others.

Unless your bank or financial institution reimburses you there is a 180 baht fee for cash withdraws from ATM's in Thailand. Pricy for small amount withdraws.

The advice you have gotten already is solid: only exchange enough currency at the airport to get you to your destination, then exchange pristine condition 50 pound notes in town for the best rates. Of course if you arrive late at night and want to go out after you get to your hotel exchange enough at the airport for the evening activities, and do your major exchanging the next day.

If I recall correctly the SuperRich branch (kiosk) at the airport rail link has limited operating hours, something like 10am to 8pm I believe. And FWIW the Arab money changes in the lower Suk area are highly competitive vs. the SuperRich main branch for my pristine $100 USD bills.

SL

The denomination column on the super-rich site is not indicating the actual note type, but rather the actual amount of the transaction.

I beg to differ!

Currently back in UK for a short break after many years exile in Phetchabun, noticed in my local Tesco super store their exchange booth were offering just over 46 Baht to GBP and 55 to buy GBP. Will pass thank you.

Just a mention on UK 50 pound notes I took one off a mate of mine in Bangkok after one of the exchange booths on Suk would not exchange because of a small biro ink mark on the note.

Two weeks ago I bought some baht in London - the rate was 49.3322 to the pound with no commission. Pretty good I thought.

Maybe it was, maybe it wasn´t. Roughly 2 weeks ago the Baht hit 52,50. If that was the exchange rate on the day of your purchase then it would have been a roughly 6% spread. Yes, but no commission..... :-)

The denomination column on the super-rich site is not indicating the actual note type, but rather the actual amount of the transaction.

I beg to differ!

Maybe your actual experience was different, but mine was as identified. I called them directly and asked them the question - I latter visited them the next day and asked the same question. I was directed to the buy and sell rates on the display in the communal area and it was explained that the break rate was transaction value.

Edited by spambot

Actually there is a Superrich Booth at the Airport...

Just beside where you get the Train into town....

That's interesting Robert, but I would wonder if they give the same rates as the other booths in Bangkok.

Plus change as little as you need to at the airport, to get you to your accommodation.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Airport rates are rip offs, go into town or go downstairs to SuperRich like he said RtB

Two weeks ago I bought some baht in London - the rate was 49.3322 to the pound with no commission. Pretty good I thought.

Of course you paid commission, they just disguise it as a lower exchange rate.

I would buy it in Thailand but would travel only after the Brexit vote (chances are it will not happen as per the financial options positioning on the pound) and this will send the pound soaring...so a win win situation

LOL

Actually there is a Superrich Booth at the Airport...

Just beside where you get the Train into town....

That's interesting Robert, but I would wonder if they give the same rates as the other booths in Bangkok.
They don't, it isn't as good you can find the rates on the website.

And the green Superrich gives a better rate than the orange one usually.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

The question of whether it's better to get your money in the UK or Thailand has already been correctly answered in as much as you will always find better rates available in Thailand than you will in the UK.

However when I first started coming here I always used to get a few thousand baht in the UK - I just felt more comfortable arriving in a foreign country with a ready supply of local currency to hand.

Maybe paranoid - but ATM's are not always guaranteed to work and can sometimes swallow your card.. You will likely find even if you have informed your bank of your travel arrangements the first time you attempt to use your card in an ATM overseas it will be declined - requiring you to make that call to your card issuer to unblock it. Then you remember you forgot to enable roaming on your mobile and you cant use a payphone because you don't have cash... The nightmare worsens ;-)

Sure you can take sterling but again no guarantees the bureau de'change will be open when you arrive. Even if it is you will pay a punitive rate in the airport. I just felt more comfortable to always have some ready cash on me - and the few quid I lost by getting it in the UK was worth it for my peace of mind. I found Marks and Spencers Travel Money to offer reasonable rates for foreign currency in the UK.

Edited by Shadychris

As others have said, take cash and exchange at superrich.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with 50s over 20s unless you know your bank in the UK can get pristine ones for you. We took 50s over but half of them were rejected due to unbelievably minor things. The differences in exchange rate between 50s and 20s is pretty small really, about 100 baht when exchanging £1000. Not worth the hassle of sourcing mint 50s here in the UK, unless you can arrange this easily with you UK bank (we couldn't).

Next time I'm just taking 20s.