extension/retirement in 3 hours + re-entry 5 mins at CW today

Only one surprise today in the annual request for an extension of stay based on retirement: they insisted that there be a transaction on the bankbook dated today (the day of application for the extension), saying that the one I'd done yesterday (when I got the account statement from the bank to present to immigration) was not acceptable - there had to be a transaction today. Maybe this is an old requirement, but it was new to me.

I also had to sign a statement saying I was aware of the new overstay rules and another statement saying that my extension would be cancelled under certain conditions (no surprises).

I had arrived at 8:30 a.m. just as the doors opened, had queue number 27 at 8:45, was called in at 9:30, went to the second officer before 10:00 where I was told to add a transaction to my bank account and bring back the bankbook and a photocopy, which I accomplished in ten minutes. Then I had to wait an addition hour and a half until I was given my passport back. They were not handing passports back continually; a whole stack (maybe 20) arrived all at once. Looks like the processing is not continuous after all.

I had booked a re-entry appointment for 2:00 p.m., but high-tailed it to the re-entry counter at 11:40, hoping to make the noon break deadline - and was successful. The officer noticed that my appointment was in the afternoon, but simply smiled and processed me anyway. Out at 11:50.

Hope that someone finds this info of interest.

• Like 1

Believe this commander sign-off started about a year ago that all passports must be signed off after normal officer review and this is a call your name system when done - on my extension last Friday officer was in meeting with Immigration Commander so advised to come back between 15-1600 after my approval at 1030.

• Like 1

Thank you Heretostay for your very informative report. Since you said you received queue number 27 and was interviewed by the second officer at 10 am, does that mean that 26 people were processed before you by 10 am? How many immigration officers did you see engaged in processing retirement extensions at CW this morning?

Many thanks!

For Friday I arrived at 0911 and got number 45 with 23 in queue ahead and processed by about 1040. Believe there were 3 desks with active turnover and several others with long processing or non-queue. At my 1540 pickup of passport there did not appear to be any more in queue and numbers with at a bit over 140. But know when I processed at 45 there were many numbers being called without response (expect people thinking they had more time shopping downstairs).

Glad to provide feedback.

There seemed to be five or six front-line officers working. I didn't do a formal count. We all seemed to get funneled to a single second-line officer for a second check. Some of the 26 before me left before I did, but some were still there when I left, as well as people who had higher queue numbers than mine. (As mentioned, a stack of about 20 passports came out at the same time, among them mine.)