Where to buy laptop in Bangkok?

thailandsgreat

Hello

I fly into Bangkok next week. Stay a while and may continue to Buriram and Chiang Rai, among other places.

I will probably buy a laptop. I guess Bangkok is the best place of those mentioned.

Where do I find wide choice, knowledgeable staff and reasonable price, if I buy a laptop in Bangkok?

Any suggestions for laptop also appreciated. I have mostly used phone for a while now. I will have to dual boot the laptop with Linux since I need some software that I believe only runs under Linux.

My last travel laptop was an Acer Aspire One. The screen was small, 12" I believe. But that was a good computer.

Earlier I have had HP laptops. They were also good. A 15" Pavillion still runs Windows Vista at home!!

To travel smoothly I may buy another 12" screen laptop. If I stay a while in one place I may buy an external screen and connect.

Thanks.

Edited by thailandsgreat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where you are, but I would not get a laptop in Thailand.

90% of laptops don't come with Operating System (unless you want DOS or sometimes Linux) and staff is certainly not knowledgeable... at least not in English.

But up to you.

I'm in Myanmar. So they don't offer any "deals" on operating systems. I may have to run two softwares under Linux (MBDyn and Matlab). But without Windows it is less convenient. It is not urgent. I may have to think a little. Thanks for info.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/

Bought my last a few months ago for granddaughter and staff appeared to be much above normal sales type. They have a number of outlets and there price is normally about the best. I bought in Latphao at the new Central Festival Eastville.

Thanks for info. On the map I find that one of their outlets is on Petchaburi rd, not very far from Paya Thai. It is in a place called IT-city. Seems worth a visit. Edited by thailandsgreat

Some models are indeed sold with legal operating system - and that was what I bought. A Lenovo model.

It is off topic. But when I lived in China I used computers a lot. Sometimes I and my Chinese friends had to call Lenovo hotline in Beijing and ask about problems. Sometimes they replied "There is a little problem with the license."!! The licenses for Windows were "problematic" for computers bought in the big chain of Lenovo stores!

And when president Hu Jintao went to the US he met Bill Gates (on the west coast) before he met the president. And Bill Gates did not complain. Microsoft and everyone else knows that if they complain they get no licenses at all sold.

My Chinese and Thai friends said that Microsoft and others were waiting for China to get more strict, like they said Thailand is.

Sorry OT. But pirating is an interesting field, both software and other.

I am sure your computer is good and legal.

Edited by thailandsgreat

IMHO, the best place to buy a laptop or computer is Invade IT in Hua Hin where they have a shop, or online http://www.invadeit.co.th/. Their European staff is great.

As for operating systems...some laptops are sold without an OS. Their model numbers specify that they are without OSs. They are cheaper than those laptops sold with an OS. Buying without an OS is perfect in my opinion as, if you buy from a reputable place (not Big C, e.g.), you can specify the OS that you want them to install. An OS will cost extra, of course, unless it is a Linux distro, in which case you will no doubt be charged for the labour involved,

Some models are indeed sold with legal operating system - and that was what I bought. A Lenovo model.

Was that with the latest Windows?

Has it worked ok?

Don you remember the general price level?

Thanks.

It was Windows 8.1 and has worked well and is fully legal - was low priced 7k notebook which is now sold with Windows 10

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/20385/2/NOTEBOOK-LENOVO-IP100S-11-80R2007CTA

Was that with the latest Windows?

Has it worked ok?

Don you remember the general price level?

Thanks.

It was Windows 8.1 and has worked well and is fully legal - was low priced 7k notebook which is now sold with Windows 10

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/20385/2/NOTEBOOK-LENOVO-IP100S-11-80R2007CTA

Sounds like a good deal. At that price you weren't overcharged for neither computer nor Windows.

For some years I was practically 100% on Linux (Ubuntu) but it takes more time to maintain I think. So I will probably run both if I buy a laptop now.

Edited by thailandsgreat

Need to correct my post - the notebook was bought with Windows 10 installed - same as advertised in my link. The Windows 8.1 was a Lanovo all in one bought for other granddaughter a bit over a year ago for 12k.

Zeer Rangsit is probably your best bet. I buy all my computer stuff there. A lot of Manufacturer outlets there as well

I found Zeer Rangsit on the map now, just north of Don Meuang airport.

"IT malls" like this are maybe the best option. The ones outside the city center often have a wide choice and good prices, I think.

In Asian cities there are often particular streets for shops selling special items. Like "the street where you buy cameras" etc. But maybe the malls outside the city center have taken over nowadays?

Thanks for all suggestions in the thread.

If I buy mail order from the US,

I must check shipping times to Thailand. I hope they won't add some tax, customs fee or anything when I receive it in Thailand?

Edited by thailandsgreat

I think the recognised best place in bkk used to be Pantip Plaza but as I haven't been for years I can't comment. Many malls have cut back on computer shops, probably following the crackdown on pirate software discs...I used to use Seacon and Seri (now Paradise) but they're not much good now. Places like Centrals and Megabangba aren't much good for computers. If I was buying I'd probably head to Pantip (bought laptop before from there) or Fortune Tower (the latter is easier to get to with a mrt stop).

My family got my dad a laptop a few years back when he was about 80, turns out a ipad would have better/simpler for him. If you're just using it for internet, emails, skype go for an ipad.

Zeer Rangsit is probably your best bet. I buy all my computer stuff there. A lot of Manufacturer outlets there as well

"IT malls" like this are maybe the best option. The ones outside the city center often have a wide choice and good prices, I think.

In Asian cities there are often particular streets for shops selling special items. Like "the street where you buy cameras" etc. But maybe the malls outside the city center have taken over nowadays?

I must check shipping times to Thailand. I hope they won't add some tax, customs fee or anything when I receive it in Thailand?

If you ship a laptop in from overseas it is very likely you will get hit for taxes and customs. With Zeer I have bought a lot of stuff there. You can get laptops without operating system and they will install a pirated copy or you can go to an outlet like Acer and get a laptop with genuine software installed.

Probably the top mall for computers is Fortune Town which is at the Rama 9 subway station so easy to get to and much closer to city center.

I second this. It is the new Pantip Plaza which, is dead.

In the states, I just purchased a Lenovo Yoga 900. Super light weight, long battery life, 512gb SSD, 16gb RAM, I7 chip. Im super pleased with it.

If you ship a laptop in from overseas it is very likely you will get hit for taxes and customs. With Zeer I have bought a lot of stuff there. You can get laptops without operating system and they will install a pirated copy or you can go to an outlet like Acer and get a laptop with genuine software installed.

FYI laptops are customs exempt. Only pay vat

I agree that for best selection and good prices, Fortune City. Also easy to get to as it is above the Rama 9 MRT station.

The big malls like Siam Paragon have "Power Mall" or sometimes "Power Buy" all well stocked with a variety of models at very competitive prices despite their mall locations. In all these stores, only the higher end model laptops come with Windows installed.

Have you studied up on the increasingly popular "Chromebooks". Very inexpensive but internet access is necessary. Not many of these sold in Thailand but if you like the 12" size and easy portability, worth looking for elsewhere.

I agree that for best selection and good prices, Fortune City. Also easy to get to as it is above the Rama 9 MRT station.

The big malls like Siam Paragon have "Power Mall" or sometimes "Power Buy" all well stocked with a variety of models at very competitive prices despite their mall locations. In all these stores, only the higher end model laptops come with Windows installed.

Have you studied up on the increasingly popular "Chromebooks". Very inexpensive but internet access is necessary. Not many of these sold in Thailand but if you like the 12" size and easy portability, worth looking for elsewhere.

I think the Chromebooks seem good. But they still come with only about 16G SSD storage. You are supposed to keep data in the Google Drive cloud. YOU OUGHT TO BE CONNECTED ALL THE TIME YOU USE IT.

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/best-chromebooks-top-5-chromebooks-in-the-us-1233696

To run Linux in a Chromebook you either wipe Chrome OS or run Linux under Chrome OS. It is possible to upgrade SSD storage to 256G.

Without having had a Chromebook I think they seem good. Google always delivers. (But in my home country in northern Europe, Chromebooks haven't caught on, as far as I know.)

I probably have to make some simulations now that demand computational power and maybe a better graphics card. To install Linux you need to cut off at least 50G diskspace. I often lack a good Internet connection, like in many places here in Myanmar. I don't like carrying a computer at all when I travel, but now I may even have to get a 15" laptop :( (I may need a bigger screen for this project.) Dual boot the computer with Linux Mint, to run simulation software and MATLAB. But the 12" Acer Aspire One I had, ran really well with Windows+Linux. I wish I didn't have to carry a 15" laptop around.

The 12" Acer was super good, but maybe a little bit of a toy. The 15" HP Pavillion from 2008 with a NVIDIA card at home is robust, comfortable and still runs Windows Vista well!

Thanks for all information. I have really got much help here.

Edited by thailandsgreat

I live in Rangsit and can tell you that ZEER is a good spot for shopping for everything to do with computers. They are in the process of cleaning up and modernizing which makes it a little better. Whether you get a real or pirate copy of software depends on where you buy it and what you say.

If you want a real copy of Windows then I suggest staying with JIB or banana It or any of the dealer outlets.

To get there from Bkk take BTS to Morchit and the 29 bus just tell them you are going to Zeer IT they will usaully tell you when to get off.

Ado yourself a big favour, do not buy a laptop in Thailand most of them are very low quality, they are not the same models you would buy in a western country. All apps are copies anything go wrong and they will not help you.

I have bought 3 over the last 7 yrs all packed up useless. Full of viruses all the time.

They do not want to know if you have problems.

I took one back to New Zealand with me to get looked at and fixed, they said copy cannot fix it.

Just don't do it buy one from home. It will be cheaper in the end.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/

Bought my last a few months ago for granddaughter and staff appeared to be much above normal sales type. They have a number of outlets and there price is normally about the best. I bought in Latphao at the new Central Festival Eastville.

Thanks for info. On the map I find that one of their outlets is on Petchaburi rd, not very far from Paya Thai. It is in a place called IT-city. Seems worth a visit.

Yes buy at any Jib outlet. They have many and it's more reliable.

Probably the top mall for computers is Fortune Town which is at the Rama 9 subway station so easy to get to and much closer to city center.

I second this. It is the new Pantip Plaza which, is dead.

In the states, I just purchased a Lenovo Yoga 900. Super light weight, long battery life, 512gb SSD, 16gb RAM, I7 chip. Im super pleased with it.

Price?