Where to buy laptop in Bangkok?

thailandsgreat

I bought a Macbook Air as I wanted something smaller to travel with (I already had a Sony Vaio with a 17.3" screen).

The first thing I did when I got my new Macbook Air home was reformat the drive to wipe the Mac OS off completely and replace it with Linux Mint.

Installing Kubuntu was my backup plan, in case I would have found OSX too restrictive. I was quite happy how the OSX with few additions worked. There is Brew, which works a bit like apt-get on debian based systems.

Also softwares like Lightroom work on OSX, but not on Linux. Another positive is battery life.

My servers all run ubuntu/kubuntu.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Macbook Air as I wanted something smaller to travel with (I already had a Sony Vaio with a 17.3" screen).

The first thing I did when I got my new Macbook Air home was reformat the drive to wipe the Mac OS off completely and replace it with Linux Mint.

Installing Kubuntu was my backup plan, in case I would have found OSX too restrictive. I was quite happy how the OSX with few additions worked. There is Brew, which works a bit like apt-get on debian based systems.

Also softwares like Lightroom work on OSX, but not on Linux. Another positive is battery life.

My servers all run ubuntu/kubuntu.

I use Linux Mint because I prefer Cinnamon over Unity (and KDE etc)

Mint is about to launch version 18. I've already tried the Mint 18 beta the biggest change of which is Mint is now on version 3 of Cinnamon (plus a bunch of other improvements).

I have 2 laptops and 2 desktops, all 4 machines are running only Linux Mint.

I have no need for any Windows or Mac software and after years of using both Windows and MacOS I was very glad when I was able to ditch both in favour of my preferred Linux distribution.

Linux is definitely at the point where most regular PC users should be looking at it a bit more seriously.

I passed Fortune IT tower and an IT area in Siam/Paragon today. I haven't been in IT shops back home for a while now, but my impression is that many of the deals here would be OK deals back home too. The Thai characters do not confuse the English keyboard. Hard- and software are genuine IMHO.

I could almost have bought this 10" w. Win. 10. Screen resolution 1920 x 1200!!

http://i.imgur.com/mr8yXEt.jpg

But the ones that double as tablets can not run Linux at all or at least not with Windows. You can not partition or create recovery USB-file either. Just recover from internal hard disc. But if you don't do Linux this is a good deal, I think. The contacts for the dock maybe sensitive if you travel?

I had such good experience of one Acer Aspire that I might buy this instead:

http://i.imgur.com/AmeObVs.jpg

Since I need Linux now I don't have to pay for Windows on this. (But it is no fun to put on Windows *after* Linux. You usually had to wipe Linux and put it on again after Windows.)

In that way it is better here than back home. Easier to buy a computer without paying for Windows. But all offer Windows 10 @ B4000 if not included.

There are some good Linux alternatives now. Mint, Kubuntu. Maybe also Ubuntu. Unity was a bad thing though. Many left Ubuntu when Unity started sending your search information to Canonical and the areas you searched on line got mixed with ads from Amazon!! Not really the spirit of free software :)

I even met Nick in Pro Corner. Seemed really serious But since I probably will do purely Linux now, I will not need his services yet.

Edited by thailandsgreat

Thanks for advising me where to go guys. I bought a HP Pavillion x360, 12". It now runs both Ubuntu and Win 10 without any problems. I don't think I could have got any better at home. Thai letters very discrete on keyboard.

http://imgur.com/voxKpEN

I bought at IT-city at one end of IT Fortune Town, 4th floor. I would say they were really good. After deciding what I wanted, they had tables behind the shop where you could sit down and check that they brought a new computer and you could start it up together with the salesperson and put your name etc into a new OEM Windows. I feel pretty sure both hard and software are genuine. I didn't have to pay until I was satisfied with that. A not too bad backpack included.

Some other shops were also knowledgeable. Predator at Panthip Plaza were ok, but I prefer to shop at the biggest places. But maybe that's just an idea of mine. One of the Banana IT in Fortune Town had a nice Acer a little similar to the HP I bought.

Edited by thailandsgreat