Thai Justice Minister: ya ba should be excluded from list of narcotic drugs

webfact

Look to stop the problem you must first address the hiso's supplying the product. Catch them first to stem the supply not with prison but death. The users put into drug rehab till clean reoffend death period.

lets just kill everyone especially the cigarette and vapor smokers not to mention anyone drinking more than beers before noon

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said, decriminalization and regulation have been proved to be very effective in countries like Portugal. However, for this to work you do need investment in treatment, therapy, and education. I can't see the Thai government doing that effectively, unfortunately, although I would love to be proved wrong.

I don't know why the general ThaiVisa stance on drugs seems to be 'lock them up and throw away the key' - that approach has been an absolute disaster everywhere, why not try something different?

Sorry mate no dice. Got more than a few friends back in Oz whose lives and families have been ruined by ice. Sadly now most are in the nick. Problem with your theory is they do try rehab first and try and keep em out, but after they haved failed 3 or 4 times and then start jumping through peoples windows or bashing <deleted> or just wigging out, they have to be locked up for everyones sake. In your utopia how many times do you get to try rehab on those that do and also clearly dont want it?

Is ice legal in Oz, no. So how can you compare that to the statement? The argument is that in other countries legalisation has lowered the drug consumption and on top of that those who do use get medical and therapeutic attention, not simply slammed up into a jail and forgotten about, ready to reoffend. If people want to do drugs they will find a way, legal or not

Thats right most will. The point is for most people there is no such thing as recreational drug use. I think anyone that would advocate legalisng the more insidious highly addictive drugs like coke, crack, ice, yaba or any form of meth has no comprehension, knowledge, or first hand experience with any of them. So please tell me once it all becomes legal how much ice or yaba would you like your mates or family to be on? Whats the acceptable recreational legal dosage

He claimed that, in medical science, methamphitamines are less hazardous to health than cigarettes and liquor but the society at large accept cigarettes and liquor as normal.

He has heard something but not the whole thing. Or he's ting-tong...

Start with legalizing MARIHUANA first. It hasn't killed anyone yet. You can not OD !!! In case of an OD, Mc Donalds will be having a good customer.....

I just read a research report indicating that people who are or has been addicted to narcotics/drugs, also have a problem kicking other bad addictions such as smoking, drinking.....Conclusion may be that some of us are more susceptible to being addicted to any substance whereas other can easily or with little effort kick a bad habit.

Anything that are addictive and declared illegal history tells us it a bad idea, look at the US prohibition years as a good example, gangsta land. make anything legal and the plug goes out of the illegal network making a profit from it. Even restricting alcohol with high taxes and special shops for purchase made the moonshine a well known underground industry in Sweden and Finland during the 20th century, every home had their own still in the kitchen or garage.

There is only one way to deal with the drug problem, and that is to legalize it, but not just like that, there must be an extensive apparatus in place to care for addicts and rehabilitate. The root cause of addiction or becoming an addict can more easily be examined if the drugs are legal. when the CIA was experimenting with these drugs back in the days, they where legal, thank CIA for today's worldwide drug problems, as we can thank them for many other innovative thinks in the darkest recesses of society.

Legalize drugs? Probably the majority of users don't have the money to buy drugs in the first place so they have to steal. So do you also support the consequent stealing? The world is getting more fckd up by the minute..People who support legalizing drugs are probably users themselves.

false premise, wrong conclusion and apparently no knowledge of drugs whatsoever.
Are you using drugs? Just to check my theory..

Why not just let each and any individual decide for themselves and let them be responsible for their actions ?

But then again, people cannot be trusted ... and Government needs to step in to tell them what is right or wrong, good or bad.

This is why everybody is shouting for more laws, more regulation, more government.

Sadly this means we all need to give up all our liberties and all our freedoms and let big government rule over us

like slave masters ! Only difference now is: people seem to like it !!!

Wow this is a radical suggestion from the government and I applaud it

Decriminalizing drugs generally and regulating them with put the drug barons out of business , redirect police resources to crimes that need policing and bring users under the umbrella of health via detox programmes and treatment

Marvellous idea

JGV

What this minister fails to note is that any form of addiction places a burden on the medical fraternity. The side effects of the addiction (such as 'meth mouth etc) are bound to increase in the population if it were taken off the list. He'll soon change his mind when he sees a member of his own family starts loosing their teeth, unable to control urination (or the other extreme) etc. which is what ordinary families have to suffer. It is neuro-toxic and increases the risk of central nervous system degeneration. Maybe he wants to see the return of a 'pseudo- WWII' use, eh?

Ok Mr. smarty pants minister, and while you at it, deregulate and exclude heroin, cocaine and all other dangers drugs

using the same common sense, and how about excluding all other crimes hoping that the all criminals

will see the error of their ways and become law abiding citizens again.....

Rather sensational and hyperbolic. He is talking about treating drug addiction for what it is, a medical problem.

It is your kind of blinkered attitude that causes drugs to still be a problem. Banning drugs has really sorted out the problem, hasn't it? All it does is lead to organized crime being involved.

But I guess facts, reason and logic are no match to bluster and hyperbole

Yes legalize ya ba and weed...we need more

Crimes of thief and violence so these shit head

Druggies can get their highs...mot to mention

The children going hungry and doing without

So these jerks can get high....society continues

Go down the toilet thanks to these druggies.

Very small sunshine in that remark! smile.png

Actually you can´t be more right! What the people that decide do not understand is that the reaction of their small things often leads to a bigger and broader perspective than they can´t imagine and grasp.

Edited by Carson2311

First time ever I agree with a government official in Thailand.

His point is valid, although it could be a dangerous path as it hasn't been tried before.

All over the world, drugs are becoming the norm, no country have even come close to "win the war" against drugs, except partly by Portugal, Holland and Switzerland.

Going the american style to punish the hell out of anyone even thinking of using weed, isn't working.

I don't think this idea will be possible in LOS, they are even worse when it comes to punishment than USA.

Edited by KamalaRider

As others have said, decriminalization and regulation have been proved to be very effective in countries like Portugal. However, for this to work you do need investment in treatment, therapy, and education. I can't see the Thai government doing that effectively, unfortunately, although I would love to be proved wrong.

I don't know why the general ThaiVisa stance on drugs seems to be 'lock them up and throw away the key' - that approach has been an absolute disaster everywhere, why not try something different?

Because most regular contributors on here appear to be complete ignoramuses and full of hatred or compassion let alone understanding of current opinion and research on the subject.

Why not just let each and any individual decide for themselves and let them be responsible for their actions ?

But then again, people cannot be trusted ... and Government needs to step in to tell them what is right or wrong, good or bad.

This is why everybody is shouting for more laws, more regulation, more government.

Sadly this means we all need to give up all our liberties and all our freedoms and let big government rule over us

like slave masters ! Only difference now is: people seem to like it !!!

Yeah except or particularly in yhe case of ice and yaba its just not "their" actions is it? Yours is a very simplistic answer. I am not anti drug far from it but IMO i dont think that legalising meth or ice or anything like it would ever be a solution. I dont know what the answer is but im pretty sure i know what the answer isnt

The problem is that development has been on a stand still for so many years, that they unfortunately arr trying do do to much at the same time.

Ok Mr. smarty pants minister, and while you at it, deregulate and exclude heroin, cocaine and all other dangers drugs

using the same common sense, and how about excluding all other crimes hoping that the all criminals

will see the error of their ways and become law abiding citizens again.....

Much of the criminality comes from the fact these drugs are illegal, and hence addicts will do anything to support their habit. The real price of these drugs IF they were legal would be peanuts.

Portugal and Sweden have already shown the overall social and financial cost of illicit drug use is substantially reduced by legalisation. Lower costs to the addicts. Less pressure on police and the courts, a reduction in crime rates.

Methamphetamine or Ya Ba is the scourge of many rural towns in Australia. The Thai minister is simply echoing the statement of one of the most senior policemen in Australia, who said: " We can't arrest our way out of this problem."

So your attempt at a reductio ad absurdum is off the mark. And before you ask, no, I've never even used pot.

It actually sounds like a good idea. Most countries that have tried it, have had success. In Portugal they legalized all drugs. If you are caught with an ounce of heroin in your pocket, the police let you go. And you know what happened? The rates of drug abuse dropped. There were no more people being put into prison for drug offenses, so the prison budget dropped too.

I believe all drugs should be legalized. All drugs. You just take away all of the allure that comes with doing something illegal. In the US, a fortune is being spent on locking up people for smoking pot, and the "war on drugs" has failed miserably. How do you dismantle the Mexican and Colombian cartels overnight? Legalize drugs.

That´s a good thought. You suddenly fixed a part of many other issues in the world too. No cartels means no slavery and bad conditions for workers in this sector.

Another fine thing is that it will no longer be an occupation for the few. Here comes the big week of great openings on the job market.

Maby someone want to be a monor distrubutor. Someone sees the fortune in growing this instead of vegetables, which today is totally overproduced in the world.

Just go in to the next coffée shop and apply for your job as a jointlighter server! laugh.png

Just joking. Actually a great post you made!

I just read a research report indicating that people who are or has been addicted to narcotics/drugs, also have a problem kicking other bad addictions such as smoking, drinking.....Conclusion may be that some of us are more susceptible to being addicted to any substance whereas other can easily or with little effort kick a bad habit.

Anything that are addictive and declared illegal history tells us it a bad idea, look at the US prohibition years as a good example, gangsta land. make anything legal and the plug goes out of the illegal network making a profit from it. Even restricting alcohol with high taxes and special shops for purchase made the moonshine a well known underground industry in Sweden and Finland during the 20th century, every home had their own still in the kitchen or garage.

There is only one way to deal with the drug problem, and that is to legalize it, but not just like that, there must be an extensive apparatus in place to care for addicts and rehabilitate. The root cause of addiction or becoming an addict can more easily be examined if the drugs are legal. when the CIA was experimenting with these drugs back in the days, they where legal, thank CIA for today's worldwide drug problems, as we can thank them for many other innovative thinks in the darkest recesses of society.

Legalize drugs? Probably the majority of users don't have the money to buy drugs in the first place so they have to steal. So do you also support the consequent stealing? The world is getting more fckd up by the minute..People who support legalizing drugs are probably users themselves.

Well....If you are going to make a really stupid comment on something that you obviously did not read, why not go full out and make it outright ridiculous!

Even in the liberal Netherlands it is illegal, and the drugs acquisition criminality problem was kind-of solved.
However, it was solved by helping the addicts with alternative treatment. Not by creating a free market with more supply at lower prices.

IF it were sold on prescription only, and in a limited number of (guarded) Pharmacies, maybe.
Having said that, speed-freaks behaviour tends to be quite irrational, uncontrollable and/or psychotic, not a good profile to have running around in society without help and without therapy.
While understanding the Ministers' concern, making dangerous substances real cheap by de-criminalising them, IMHO not a good idea.

Sorry mate no dice. Got more than a few friends back in Oz whose lives and families have been ruined by ice. Sadly now most are in the nick. Problem with your theory is they do try rehab first and try and keep em out, but after they haved failed 3 or 4 times and then start jumping through peoples windows or bashing <deleted> or just wigging out, they have to be locked up for everyones sake. In your utopia how many times do you get to try rehab on those that do and also clearly dont want it?

Is ice legal in Oz, no. So how can you compare that to the statement? The argument is that in other countries legalisation has lowered the drug consumption and on top of that those who do use get medical and therapeutic attention, not simply slammed up into a jail and forgotten about, ready to reoffend. If people want to do drugs they will find a way, legal or not

Thats right most will. The point is for most people there is no such thing as recreational drug use. I think anyone that would advocate legalisng the more insidious highly addictive drugs like coke, crack, ice, yaba or any form of meth has no comprehension, knowledge, or first hand experience with any of them. So please tell me once it all becomes legal how much ice or yaba would you like your mates or family to be on? Whats the acceptable recreational legal dosage

If my mates or family wish to take ice, more fool them. To be honest if they want to do it they will anyway, simply because it is legal doesn't mean to say that they will start to contemplate taking it. They have a brain, if they are inclined that way they will anyway. If it is legal however, there will be less criminality associated with it; by that I mean there will be less risk going to purchase it and getting caught up in shady transactions. I myself have tried ice 2 times back in the day and for me it was kind of 'meh' - We all do stupid things in life and I would hate to see a family member banged up on prison getting butt raped over a drug addiction or curiosity. They need education / counselling / therapy, not butt rape

This is the same guy who introduced the 300 meter no alcohol zone near to schools / universities law, he also commented at the time that he would rather the no alcohol zone be 500 meters instead of 300.

They then backtracked and said 'near schools' instead of some arbitrary number of meters and since then pretty much nothing has been heard about the whole business at all.

In my neighbourhood it affected a mom and pops shop right next to a school, but about 5 doors down it's business as usual.

Well this is not a troll but an opinion but will probably get some action.

The addicted need to be treated as medical patients and treated. The dealers of yaba and hammer, (heroine) need to be treated the same way a previous Thai PM did a few years ago, dealers want to deal in death then go after them with out prejudice...

What about the addicted that buy it for their friends as a favour? What if they do it for a few extra bucks to help support their habbit? How do we decide if we send them to rehab or put a bullet in their head?