Reporting Address to Local Immigration

Hi Guys,

I am here on a Multiple Entry Non Imm O, have been getting them annually for several years now.

A few years back I reported to the local Immigration office to get a proof of residence for a driving license. I had my landlord and rental agreement with me etc so my address was registered there and all was fine. I have not been back to Immigration since.

With every 90 day exit / re-entry I do, I write my address (same address as registered) on the arrival card. My question is, do I have to report again to Immigration or does the arrival card count as reporting?

I always presumed I was doing everything by the book but have read that my landlord and I must report every time I leave and come back to this address, is that correct? If so what a pain in the ass.

If that is the case should I go down now and report or will I wait until after my next border run?

As always thanks guys.

Paddy

You're landlord is supposed to report that you are staying at his property, every time you come back smile.png

That in reality depends upon the office a person has to report to. Many do not require it.

The immigration act is can be interpreted two ways. My interpretation like many others is that it is not required unless you you move into another residence.

Who needs to do the report is also subject to interpretation.

• Like 1

This is one of those areas where Thai law is unrealistic, and enforcement varies. A literal interpretation of the law says that, any time you are in a new location for more than 24 hours, (i) the dwelling owner must report your presence; and (ii) you must report your own arrival at the new location. Thus, taken literally, a weekend away would require a whole bunch of pointless reporting. In practice, only the TM-30 reports are enforced, and many immigration offices are sensible in only requiring a new report if your address changes for a new entry.

• Like 1

a thought - i have tenants, in a Phuket apartment, arriving recently from UK. My form was posted to my local Immigration office (different province). The couple went in Phuk et Immigration and receivded their Notification of Residence (like on the lower half of the TM47).

How do I know that Immigration received my form. I was not thinking, when I sent it by regular (not registered) post.

A while back , when I wasn't on retirement extentions , I did as you do , 'till I moved to Phrae.

Nan immigration was very angry at me for not reporting , even though I gave my address everytime I did a re-entry in Mae Sai.

It all depends on which immigration office. First 4 years in Thailand I never went to any immi office , but back then no motel/hotel I stayed at ever reported to immigration. How do I know ? Because the mom 'n pop motels never asked for my passport. Times have changed .

a thought - i have tenants, in a Phuket apartment, arriving recently from UK. My form was posted to my local Immigration office (different province). The couple went in Phuk et Immigration and receivded their Notification of Residence (like on the lower half of the TM47).

How do I know that Immigration received my form. I was not thinking, when I sent it by regular (not registered) post.

They might of trashed your report. Many offices do not accept mailed in TM30 forms.

You should of included a return envelope with postage on it (similar to doing mailed in 90 day reports).

• Like 1

I'm on a marriage non immigrant O visa with always the same address. I recently went on a trip in thailand where a couple of hotels took my passport details but I didn't report to Korat immigration when I got back and nothing was said on my following 90 day report,so assume it doesn't tie up? However I'm going on a trip to uk in August when clearly that will be clear on my passport so will I have to do the report within 24 hours of my return even though I'm going back to my same Thai address?

as so often in thailand, the law, the interpretation of the law and the execution of the law depend entirely upon the person in charge of doing this.

if you go by the wording on the 'tm30' document, every time you go to, or after you have returned from a non tm30 - registered sleeping accommodation, your 'host' is required to lodge a new tm30 with local immigration, or the local police if there is no immigration office in your ampour district.

as experience shows, this is only an issue if you need to deal with immigration on other matters, as in getting a 'proof of address' or similar.

if you have not had your tm30 done, your host will get fined.

but, relating back to my first sentence, you - or him / her - might get fined, anyway, because your local immigration boss girl has decided that her interpretation of the 'act' is just that...

• 2 weeks later...

update: to filling TM30 by post. I visited Nakohn Si Thammarat IO, last week.

Waste of a trip.

Bottom line, as suggested by Ubonjoe: IO senior staff told me to go to (file at) Phuket IO.

As to showing them the 2 postal receipts for registered post and return self-addressed envelope, they were not interested.

I did not pursue what they might have done, after signing for the receipt of my registered envelope. (Been here long enough to know; not much benefit in trying to ask the office boss to lose face, is there?)

For your information, he suggested that i FAX the form to Phuket. That way, I would have a fax dated receipt.

I do not think that I will follow his advice (I'd imagine that 'no return envelope, = no service'. ).