Condominium sinking fund - Usage and enforcement of payment

I wonder what your wall is made of that allows water to penetrate? Does it have big cracks in or what?

Most concrere facades of buildings have pre caste joints. When the seals of these joints start to degrade after a number of years then it is common for water to enter though the joints. Hence many buildings with this type of construction need to reseal their building after a number of years.

"Most concrete facades of buildings have pre caste joints. When the seals of these joints start to degrade after a number of years then it is common for water to enter though the joints. Hence many buildings with this type of construction need to reseal their building after a number of years"

Thanks again for the replies. There's no sign of any cracks in the walls at all, but it seems like water is seeping through at the point where the window frame meets the concrete wall. I may well have chosen my words badly, but that's the best I can do because I know nothing of construction techniques. I don't know whether that fits in with what you're describing, or not.

For the seals of pre-caste joints, would that fall under the responsibility of co-owners to fund re-sealing? If co-owners are having to pay sinking fund top ups to pay for replacements of the water pipes for the entire building, would it make sense that if multiple owners had water leaking in, then the sinking fund should be used to re-seal the whole building?

Thanks again

There's no sign of any cracks in the walls at all, but it seems like water is seeping through at the point where the window frame meets the concrete wall. I may well have chosen my words badly, but that's the best I can do because I know nothing of construction techniques. I don't know whether that fits in with what you're describing, or not.

That sort of problem could happen in any older building anywhere in the world and is really not a big deal at all. Someone needs to scrape out whatever was used to seal the joint on the outside and replace it with mastic. The problem will arise if there is no easy access, especially if you are on a high floor.

Yes, if many units (ie more than half) are suffering from the problem then it could indeed be considered to be something that the building should fix, though it would depend on where the windows are in relation to the commonly owned wall. In my building the windows belong to the unit and individual owners would be liable for all maintenance thereof. Either way you would need to discuss it with your committee and management. If it's only a small percentage of units affected then it would surely be down to you.

Edited by KittenKong

"That sort of problem could happen in any older building anywhere in the world and is really not a big deal at all. Someone needs to scrape out whatever was used to seal the joint on the outside and replace it with mastic. The problem will arise if there is no easy access, especially if you are on a high floor."

That makes perfect sense, but unfortunately I'm on the 17th floor of a high rise building so you're right that there's a problem there.

I believe that the number of rooms affected is low, but since attendance at committee meeting is less than 25% and I cant get to discuss it with others, I think you're right that I'm on my own. I've tried to discuss it with Management, but the only one who used to speak excellent English has been removed (and since disappeared) and there have been rumors of improper goings on.. This is why I'm seeking a second opinion. Luckily, you seem to definitely know what you're talking about and have been a great help once again.

I'm most grateful for you taking the time to give me a clearer picture of my situation.

Kind regards,

Jessie