Cabbie seen jumping on a car’s bonnet faces withdrawal of driving license

rooster59

Glad it wasn't me....no chance the Thai would have got away with it, whether carrying weapons or not.

What would you have done ?

I would have my insurance company. That is why he probably stayed. They told him not to move the vehicle and to wait till they came most likely.

Edited by harrry

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agressive a-hole of a taxi driver should be penalised but revoking his license seems a bit too harsh.

I mean the farang was being a pain and could have easily moved around the taxi and drove of. Why didn't he ??

You can see in the vdo cars pulling out behind the farang and on their way while he is just standing there, almost as to provoke the taxi driver.

I feel for the guy, working long hours in the traffic and exhaust fumes of bkk for a low pay....

Edited by luckyman

My wife watched a full video ... and translated.

The Thai who filmed all this was responsible for saving the farang's butt.

In the last 1/3rd of the video, a tall thai walked up to the camera man, and was trying to stir up an attack against the farang. That thai arrived late on the scene. He was briefed by the camera man, who told everyone that it was the taxi driver's fault. The farang was right. Someone shouted to get the taxi driver and call the police. That is when the taxi driver finally got in his cab and fled.

If not for the camera man, the farang would not of been able to walk away from this, without a good bashing.

Right or wrong...doesn't matter. Mobs don't really care, once they get stirred up.

Agressive a-hole of a taxi driver should be penalised but revoking his license seems a bit too harsh.

I mean the farang was being a pain and could have easily moved around the taxi and drove of. Why didn't he ??

In Australia if social services saw that (and they would) he would probably lose his children too.

Lol.... Harsh?

Here's an example of how a responsible government takes its duty of care to its citizenry ( and visiting tourists, even), whilst also protecting its international reputation.

And yes... I know there is some irrelevance here, as people will undoubtedly argue that the Thai government is not a responsible government ( in this respect).... But to do nothing is to condone this behavior.... And worse, to blame the victim is akin to encouraging it (and it's not about me doing anything... Beyond pointing out that it's for the Thai populace to act, as this cameraman has done... He' the hero here)

post-249978-0-23738800-1466323752_thumb.

Edited by farcanell

Lol.... Harsh?

Here's an example of how a responsible government takes its duty of care to its citizenry ( and visiting tourists, even), whilst also protecting its international reputation.

And yes... I know there is some irrelevance here, as people will undoubtedly argue that the Thai government is not a responsible government ( in this respect).... But to do nothing is to condone this behavior.... And worse, to blame the victim is akin to encouraging it (and it's not about me doing anything... Beyond pointing out that it's for the Thai populace to act, as this cameraman has done... He' the hero here)

Why can't the Thai's be calm like Farangs are ?

Lol.... Harsh?

55555.... 5555 ... Well done.... Well done indeed ???!

Seems to be a single lane road and one of them, either the taxi or the car, could have reversed a little bit to let the other car pass through. Looks like both had big ego problems. The foreigner was foolish as it could have easily led to violence.

There is defiantly a yellow line in the middle of the road, the white car is within the white line the taxi isn't, cars are passing the white car on the left, and the white car would find it hard to back up, Mexican stand off, the taxi driver thinks he has the right of way and the time he spent verbally abusing the other driver they could have both moved out of each others way.

Also, we are always told that we should not loose our temper with Thais, as it is part of their culture, but as we have seen many times it appears to be an acceptable part of their culture to get upset with furang's.

The Taxi driver jumped on the white car knowing well that he would get a slap on the wrist for it and will be driving taxi's next week with a fake taxi ID.

Amazing Thailand.

Yes you can see a line (solid line that is) in the middle of the road - solid means not overtaking (passing).

Taxi presumably was going to make right turn in front of on-coming traffic (white car) in which case taxi looses all rights (also rule of road law in Thailand). Through traffic has right of way over turning right traffic.

Obviously taxi driver is the authoritarian Thai making his own rules and laws. In which case it is best just to let him have his way. In case you don't, you see the result. Wonder why he didn't use his gun or Gestapo knife.

Best way in Thailand, drive as little as possible so as not to expose yourself to the idiots on the road, Thais as well as farangs.

LOL in LOS.

Lol.... Harsh?

Yes Farangs are pretty calm they don't jump on cars smile.png

You no understand Broken Record, Ozzies are just a bit more noizzy because it's a different breed, but you have to admit that none of them jumped on top of each other car's bonnet doing some damage, or tried to simply run over with their car the person they were disagreeing with, people who read too much Tha_irate.com stuff, ends up having problem controlling their actions, fearangs mostly read TV so their anger get neutralized after just a few keystrokes

Don't see what the problem is...seems to be plenty of room for both (small) cars. With all the narrow sois and double parked cars in Thailand, the first thing one learns when using a car in Thailand is "cooperative driving."

well said.

give way, roll with the flow, and occasionally take the offensive move but only when rolling slowly so you can stop if the other driver does not roll with the flow and forgive you your transgressions... 5 min later repeat ....

as a farang, this guy is stupid and could easily have avoided this outcome, from what it looks like in the video.

the taxi driver was unhinged. when people are unhinged, it is always better to let them pass. what was to lose in this case?

the unhinged taxi driver was obviously picking up a young boy, and the sign on the right looks like it says school. so, cars double park and pick kids up at schools in Thailand.

it does not excuse the behavior of double parking, blocking traffic, or the taxi drivers behavior. but why stand your ground in a situation like this? to be 'right' ?

whenever I see this I remind foreigners that it is not uncommon for a person to note your license plate and later find your address at DMV and key your car, slash your tires, or worse. I have seen it happen and know of people who have done it. I myself have asked a friend to find the owner of an 'unhinged driver' who came at me once. my staff could easily find the info for me. cost me 500 Baht. the driver of the sports car was the son of a military general, whose name I recognized.

Having said all this, it is also interesting to note how CHEAP BODY WORK IS IN THAILAND. Replacing the hood and door panels could cost 2 thousand baht - maybe 2,000 for a honda or similarly common car. seriously. it is cheap. so, sometimes it is interesting to scrape the side of that <deleted> driver. say 'oops. sorry. I will pay for it.' and claim the insurance or pay it yourself. I have also seen how this can be satisfying. I am thinking of a guy who did this to a car driving through a red light as he wanted to be the 'just one more car' in the train even though the light had changed more than a couple minutes. This guy just drove into the side of the car! It was hilarious. And his insurance covered all of it.

I like how the taxi driver hops up on his toes for a second at 3:42.

It must have been maddening to be 1.55 meters and angry at a guy who is calm and about 1.85 meters, I can only guess from his little jump.

The jury is out on why the YouTube video of the incident posted here “has been terminated”, but this Thai one hasn’t been:

Seems to me it would’ve been better to have terminated both versions, but since the Thai media one exists this restores the balance. The video and inflammatory incident is a great winner for the media, but will anything good actually precipitate from it all, such as any changes on the ground made? I think not, only another layer of galvanized attitudes, the status quo, and more misunderstandings and disharmony crying.gif .

Edited by Siamwhiteelephant

The jury is out on why the YouTube video of the incident posted here has been terminated, but this Thai one hasnt been:

Seems to me it wouldve been better to have terminated both versions, but since the Thai media one exists this restores the balance. The video and inflammatory incident is a great winner for the media, but will anything good actually precipitate from it all, such as any changes on the ground made? I think not, only another layer of galvanized attitudes, the status quo, and more misunderstandings and disharmony crying.gif .

100% guaranteed that ignoring this will result in no change..... Hi lighting it may spark the genisus for change.

Not will... May

Sir bob G managed to effect change in foreign countries... Apartheid was changed due to foreign pressure... So maybe... Just maybe... Not burying ones head in the sand, may be of value

But maybe not... However, without trying, nothing will change, unless for the worst, if this is condoned, especially by those I thought more educated.

You can see the Thai's were hovering about waiting for it to kick off!.. And the Farang would of been the target whether he was right or wrong!

Actually not the case... Can hear the person filming explaining to people when they come on the scene saying the taxi driver jumped on the foreigner's car and dented it..

Thanks should go to the person who filmed the incident and posted it...

who seems to have already thought about it and taken it down already... or is it censorship because it made the Thai look bad??

Lol.... Harsh?

Yes Farangs are pretty calm they don't jump on cars smile.png

But they do sometimes pull knives..... on cyclists lol (although not really a laughing matter)

Be careful out there guys - always remember you can be right... and dead!