Wrong ? Blood Sugar test results..

ignis

Test my Diabetics twice a day..

For the past month have the 'new' Accu-chek 'Performa' which replaces the Accu-chek 'Avantage' tester...

Yesterday alarmed.. fasting reading was 296 no idea why & this morning 289 !! [normal reading is anywhere between 115 -147 over the past month]

today thought to test again.. different finger on other hand = 170 still high but why the difference ? So did it all again back to 1st finger reading was 287, then again on other hand/finger 166...

Is the meter/strips at fault ? or is it normal to get different readings from different hands/fingers ? and which one is correct.?. that is testing 4 times in 10 mins = 4 different reading with a difference of over 120 !!

Edited by ignis

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have had the Accu-check performa for some years now. There can be a difference between right and left, but, not as high as you have reported.

Change your strips.

Thanks...... will try again in the morning, if high then open a new container of strips and re-test...

Quick question as you use the Performa, can you buy more than just 25 strip tubs..? here asked in Hospital Red Cross BKK, and my local Hospital + a Pharmacy all say, only one size 25 strips.. [website UK and USA shows you can buy 100 strips in a tub]

post-42643-0-17756300-1466310741_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

Found these http://www.lazada.co.th/accu-chek-100-1085375.html.......... not sure this is the correct strips for my machine..

maybe this is correct as right colour http://www.lazada.co.th/accu-chek-50-1085374.html

still a silly price.. as Diabetic supplies Australia sell tub of 100 strips for AU$ 16..... that is the price of 25 strips here !!

same sort of sites Diabetic supplies Shops in UK and USA they cost under 500 baht for 100 strips..

The price of the test strips illustrate that neither the health authorities or anybody else in authority is serious about combating on of the more serious health effects facing the population with diabeties. In Oz they are subsidized by the government as they know the cost will be far greater than the cost of a few test strips.

Also in some places it is a great money spinner for the makers of the test equipment with often the machine is given away free - just need a lifetime supply of strips that match the machine.

It's important to get control solutions. Most meter manufacturers sell it in 3 ranges... But not in Thailand which is moronic for something so important. You can order this on eBay, Amazon or AliExpress.

I think around 450 Bt.

Yesterday was the time to go and pay AIS and True [pay every 90 days]..... so off to 'Westgate', also looked in Boots and Watson's chemist/pharmacies both had the correct strips but only 25 test strips.... 560 baht and the other 570 baht !!!!

It's important to get control solutions. Most meter manufacturers sell it in 3 ranges... But not in Thailand which is moronic for something so important. You can order this on eBay, Amazon or AliExpress.

+1

Even back home, the distribution chain for products like this is so long and porous that it's not uncommon to see knock-off or expired product being sold- especially in stores without sophisticated tracking. Less common, but not unheard of, dodgy products innocently sold by reputable stores that are only one link in the long chain. They can't catch them all.

I'd also recommend checking the packaging carefully to look for signs of tampering, poor quality (or even mis-spelled) printing, or other indications that the strips are fakes or long expired but repackaged to look newer.

+1

Even back home, the distribution chain for products like this is so long and porous that it's not uncommon to see knock-off or expired product being sold- especially in stores without sophisticated tracking. Less common, but not unheard of, dodgy products innocently sold by reputable stores that are only one link in the long chain. They can't catch them all.

I'd also recommend checking the packaging carefully to look for signs of tampering, poor quality (or even mis-spelled) printing, or other indications that the strips are fakes or long expired but repackaged to look newer.

I only buy the control solutions manufactured by my glucometer manufacturer. I also only buy glucose meters if control solutions are easily available.

I've given up wasting ridiculous sums on over priced glucometers with even more ridiculously overpriced strips here in Thailand.

I would recommend the TrueResult glucometer with TrueTest strips as the best value and quality currently available on the world market. I've done a lot of searching. You can find an eBay seller selling the meter nearly free with very low priced strips in bulk and only about $5 to ship to Thailand. Expiry dates are often 2 years in advance. As you can see on this link the control solutions are also available.

I've used a lot of different meters over the years and this is my favourite. It is manufactured by the Nipro Medical Corporation, a well respected manufacturer. It's nice to know a company is not ripping off sick people by providing high quality products at affordable prices.

http://stuccu.com/s/Truetest+Glucose+Meter-MbSLsTI-Buy-Exclusive-Deals-70-OFF-Save-Big-Lowest-Price-On-Truetest-Glucose-Meter-Best-In-Stock-Fast-Free-Shipping?mt=b&keyword=truetest%20glucose%20meter&ap=1t1&cid=63027070981&caid=54e228a5b1b1c614a4b7d2f3&netid=1&network=g&aaid=54e228a5b1b1c614a4b7d2f5&gclid=CIDd9oadws0CFc2HaAodHZ4EzA

When strips are affordable (they are not affordable in Thailand), you can start getting the benefits of testing many times per day without stressing over cost.

Talking on Sunday to my neighbours, both he and his wife work at the Red Cross Hospital BKK for over 20 years about being short of strips and the crazy price...

he took a photo on his phone of the Dr prescription and of the Accu-chek 'Performa' tub... yesterday he came back with another tub for me. at the Red Cross Hospital, max size is 25 strip tubs, and 300 baht.. so almost halve the price then buying at a pharmacy.

Guess Government type Hospital = cost price..

Refuses to add a very small Jpeg of receipt = error 1Q ?

Edited by ignis

Talking on Sunday to my neighbours, both he and his wife work at the Red Cross Hospital BKK for over 20 years about being short of strips and the crazy price...

he took a photo on his phone of the Dr prescription and of the Accu-chek 'Performa' tub... yesterday he came back with another tub for me. at the Red Cross Hospital, max size is 25 strip tubs, and 300 baht.. so almost halve the price then buying at a pharmacy.

Guess Government type Hospital = cost price..

Refuses to add a very small Jpeg of receipt = error 1Q ?

That's a great price for Thailand @ 12 baht per strip.

I had a quick look on eBay and the best I could find today was 300 TrueTest strips for 2250, shipped to Thailand. That's 7.5 baht per strip. You can find some deals with free glucometer for that price too. For a bulk purchase (1000 strips) I saw 6.7 baht per strip with free glucometer.

The trick is to find a shipper with cheap shipping, which varies between $12 - $45. Most sellers will give you the expiry dates. Usually they're about 2 years ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

always make sure that you thoroughly wash yer hands before testing...I have had erratic results with Accu-Check and One - Touch and things always normalise after I wash my hands...

Yes, even got hand sanitise as used in Hospital + always use cotton ball and Alcohol.. yet my readings are all over the place.. erratic results with Accu Chek or my blood sugar level ??

eg: last night after Insulin injection + another 1 hour after eating meal reading = 148, eat and drink nothing more, yet this morning fasting test = 221 ?? + re-tested on a different finger and hand the same reading more or less 221 was the lower reading.

Wednesday same.. Tuesday evening was 140 and in the morning 208... wondered then if Blood pressure had anything to do with the reading as was 94/61.. noticed before if the pressure is down the sugar reading is higher ? but this morning is up 123/80.. highest it has been in 5 weeks.

You need to go to one of the hospitals and get the A1C test performed.

The test result will tell you what your average BG level has been over the previous three months.

It's just a blood test, so, won't be too expensive. I think this way you can be sure to find out who is defective. You, or the machine......

The test result will tell you what your average BG level has been over the previous three months.

It's just a blood test, so, won't be too expensive. I think this way you can be sure to find out who is defective. You, or the machine......

Found what it is.......... dawn phenomenon effect.... appears to be normal for lots of people, and 100's of results to a search, appears best is Apple Cider Vinegar tablets.

Yes next blood test A1C in on the 25th.. at the Hospital

Found what it is.......... dawn phenomenon effect.... appears to be normal for lots of people, and 100's of results to a search, appears best is Apple Cider Vinegar tablets.

Your FBS readings are way higher than what one would expect from a "dawn phenomenon". That occurs when the liver dumps sugar into the system upon waking.
Diabetic is over 126 mg/dl FBS. You're over 200!! Are you drinking a lot of water and urinating frequently? At over 180 mg/dl you start to piss out sugar. A urine test for sugar is a good idea.
About 10 years ago I had a bout of liver cholestasis which lasted about a month (high bilirubin). My FBS's were through the roof at 250+. When the liver came right, my blood sugar went down to pre-diabetic levels. I did a lot of searching to come up with a link, but never could... but that was over a decade ago. Why not get a liver panel done when you get the HbA1c tested.
HbA1c tests are routine and can be done at any lab for 300 or 350 baht. A liver panel will cost about the same.

Your FBS readings are way higher than what one would expect from a "dawn phenomenon". That occurs when the liver dumps sugar into the system upon waking.
Diabetic is over 126 mg/dl FBS. You're over 200!! Are you drinking a lot of water and urinating frequently? At over 180 mg/dl you start to piss out sugar. A urine test for sugar is a good idea.
About 10 years ago I had a bout of liver cholestasis which lasted about a month (high bilirubin). My FBS's were through the roof at 250+. When the liver came right, my blood sugar went down to pre-diabetic levels. I did a lot of searching to come up with a link, but never could... but that was over a decade ago. Why not get a liver panel done when you get the HbA1c tested.
HbA1c tests are routine and can be done at any lab for 300 or 350 baht. A liver panel will cost about the same.

Yes there are 10 tests to be done for blood + the urine tests on the 25th..

up to a point makes me smile 'You're over 200!!' end of May was over 400 + did not pee for 3 full days.. before going to the Hospital on day 4.

Test at Hospital = Kidneys not working, blood pressure was so low they wondered how I could even stand up, Blood sugar over the top = admitted there and then, 5 days in Hospital [Red Cross in BKK] Kidneys are now working again, blood pressure is back up [new medication- always had low blood pressure] Blood sugar back to where it used to be, but have been put on insulin injections, after 20 years on metformin... only ever tested 1x a day for blood sugar so had never seen this night + morning difference before..

Are you drinking a lot of water and urinating frequently?

yes drinking a lot of water, urinating is a bit hit and miss affair sometimes lots other time rarely.. that is a good point, last night did not need to get up in the night, some nights do have to get up for a pee, sometimes more than once...

Many thanks, never linked that together will have to try to make a note of the difference..

Yes there are 10 tests to be done for blood + the urine tests on the 25th..

up to a point makes me smile 'You're over 200!!' end of May was over 400 + did not pee for 3 full days.. before going to the Hospital on day 4.

Test at Hospital = Kidneys not working, blood pressure was so low they wondered how I could even stand up, Blood sugar over the top = admitted there and then, 5 days in Hospital [Red Cross in BKK] Kidneys are now working again, blood pressure is back up [new medication- always had low blood pressure] Blood sugar back to where it used to be, but have been put on insulin injections, after 20 years on metformin... only ever tested 1x a day for blood sugar so had never seen this night + morning difference before..

Are you drinking a lot of water and urinating frequently?

yes drinking a lot of water, urinating is a bit hit and miss affair sometimes lots other time rarely.. that is a good point, last night did not need to get up in the night, some nights do have to get up for a pee, sometimes more than once...

Many thanks, never linked that together will have to try to make a note of the difference..

I wouldn't worry about getting up to pee. I usually do that anywhere between once and three times a night with perfect blood sugar levels. It's more related to your fluid intake than anything else, including fluid rich foods.

The concern is more about how much you drink. If you have high blood sugar you're likely to drink a lot as part of your body's natural defense mechanism, to help you rid your body of excess blood sugar. Naturally if you drink a lot you're going to pee a lot too.smile.png

Thought it no harm in trying some of these fixes...

Last 3 nights have tried the one fix.. Glass of milk with a spoonful of Apple cider Vinegar in, before going to bed.... maybe works ? Sunday morning 141, Monday morning 140 and this morning 141....

Maybe this works, bit different than 185 - 226 most mornings....... not very nice and can still taste the vinegar all day, but guess will have to go to a City to get the tablets, as all the Villages around me have not got or never heard of such tablets.. notice they do sell them on lazada.co.th

What "tablets" are you referring to? Metformin? That's the first one I would try, but it's not very effective if your problem is insulin production, rather than sensitivity.

I don't want to scare you, but Type 2 diabetics will often need to start injecting insulin when blood sugar levels can no longer be controlled by diabetic medicine... it's a progression of the disease. You really need to find out how much insulin you're producing. If I was you I would take a Peptide-C test to find out. I haven't had one done myself, so I don't know what they cost.

What "tablets" are you referring to? Metformin? That's the first one I would try, but it's not very effective if your problem is insulin production, rather than sensitivity.

I don't want to scare you, but Type 2 diabetics will often need to start injecting insulin when blood sugar levels can no longer be controlled by diabetic medicine... it's a progression of the disease. You really need to find out how much insulin you're producing. If I was you I would take a Peptide-C test to find out. I haven't had one done myself, so I don't know what they cost.

If your asking about my last post, thought it was very clear..

Apple Cider Vinegar tablets again this morning 147. that with mixing Apple cider Vinegar with milk just before going to bed

As posted eg: not very nice and can still taste the vinegar all day, but guess will have to go to a City to get the tablets

On a different note, find it strange that you cannot [Dr says not here] get slow release metformin. or slow release Insulin.. surly it is better ?? with injections or Metformin normal last 3 - 4 hours only. so blood sugar forever going up and down .

Edited by ignis

If your asking about my last post, thought it was very clear..

Apple Cider Vinegar tablets again this morning 147. that with mixing Apple cider Vinegar with milk just before going to bed

As posted eg: not very nice and can still taste the vinegar all day, but guess will have to go to a City to get the tablets

On a different note, find it strange that you cannot [Dr says not here] get slow release metformin. or slow release Insulin.. surly it is better ?? with injections or Metformin normal last 3 - 4 hours only. so blood sugar forever going up and down .

Thanks for clearing that up. I was more interested in what diabetic medication you've been taking. Burping up vinegar all day long is a heavy price to pay for limited benefit as your FBS is still way too high.

There is no difference in the efficacy of IR and ER Metformin in reducing BG (One study I saw showed IR slightly better). The ER (extended release) can reduce GI side effects.

Here's some good reading on the topic:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/845753