METV visa from Australia: foreign nationals can apply, the official word

Since the METV was announced its been possible for foreign nationals with a valid visa for another country to apply. I'm not sure that there is anything new here. If you are an American or Canadian, etc., with a valid visa for being in Australia or another country then you can apply for a METV.

If you are in another country on a visa exempt or short-term tourist visa you can apply, but its likely to be refused if you've simply flown into a second country from Thailand for the purpose of applying for a METV, as that's simply a border hop over a longer distance. If it was as easy as this then everyone would just go to Cambodia, Laos or Singapore on short-stay or visa exempt entries and do the same there.

Since the METV was announced its been possible for foreign nationals with a valid visa for another country to apply. I'm not sure that there is anything new here. If you are an American or Canadian, etc., with a valid visa for being in Australia or another country then you can apply for a METV.

If you are in another country on a visa exempt or short-term tourist visa you can apply, but its likely to be refused if you've simply flown into a second country from Thailand for the purpose of applying for a METV, as that's simply a border hop over a longer distance. If it was as easy as this then everyone would just go to Cambodia, Laos or Singapore on short-stay or visa exempt entries and do the same there.

If you look at the requirements on most Thai embassy and consulate websites you will see that they require a person to a citizen or resident of the country where they a located to apply for the METV.

The embassies in Australia, Canada and the US do not have the residency requirement. There may be others but I have not seen them.

• Like 2

I would bet the TAT folks would love to see easier visas, but there are other considerations / bureaucracies involved. I know the standard line is that the changes are to stop illegal working - hence 'show us the money' - but I believe there is a national-security factor in play here. Perhaps the security-infrastructure in place to screen visitors to Australia is considered a 'trusted and reliable' screening mechanism.

I just looked up Air-Asia to Perth - only about B4000 each way if you plan a few months ahead, so the cost-difference as compared to nearby SETVs is minimal.

as a business owner in thailand i had high hopes for these long term tourist visas to help business and tourism as a whole. when they were announced i figured there would just be a requirement to show enough funds or income to last for 6 months to get the visa. everyone wins, tourist gets an extended stay in ferang heaven and thailand gets their money. but no, it has be done in such a way many people wont bother and they will just stick to their short holidays. TAT goes on and on about trying to increase tourism. #### just give tourists 60 days on entry, that would at least be a start.

You are right, freeing up certain areas would reduce drag, however it is agreements reached between countries that are the snag , not many Thai's are admitted into OZ on a 30 day arrival card. When you look into other countries immigration they apply the same rules, Thailand isn't a loner in this regard, for Aussies the best place now is Singapore with all new agreements and hassle free, only problem 2 expensive.