"Take my picture please?" - but Thai guy gets a shock he won't forget

webfact

"Take my picture please?" - but Thai guy gets a shock he won't forget

s5p.jpg
Image Sanook

BANGKOK: -- It is a situation that has happened to everyone. It is a very public place and a stranger asks you to take their picture. These days they will probably hand you their phone to get the job done.

In Terminal 21 on Thursday when a foreign man made the request a Thai guy was only too happy to oblige. But when he was handed the phone he received a severe shock and started shaking only just managing to maintain his composure, reported Sanook. He managed to hand the phone back, grab the man and call security and the foreigner was led away.

He appears to have been the victim of a stun gun in the shape of a mobile phone and says he was lucky that the event did not have worse consequences.

The man posted his experience on a Facebook page under the name Tkon Aklakulakan. Many people were shocked to read his story.

He said: "After I had eaten I went downstairs. I was reading the store directory when a guy came up to me and asked me to take his picture. e handed me his phone. As soon as I touched it I felt weak and started to shake all over. I handed it back to him and managed to grab hold of him and call security to come and arrest him.

"After this experience I want to warn people to watch out for these criminals. If I wasn't aware what was happening I might have held onto the phone and who knows what would have happened. I am still shaking just thinking about this."

He later surmised that the phone was in reality a stun gun in the shape of a mobile phone. Such devices are advertised on the internet sometimes as security devices delivering non lethal shocks. They have also been used in pranks. It is possible they could be used for theft.

Online opinion was that such an event could happen to anyone and it was lucky that the man had realized what was happening and could call for help.

There was no report as to what happened to the foreigner who had asked for his picture to be taken.

Source: Sanook

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-20

"There was no report as to what happened to the foreigner...."

So who is that in the OP photo?

Is that him or just a stock image of "farang arrested"?

I went and read the Facebook post of the Thai guy, turns out the guy in the picture is the foreigner. He 'grabbed him and called security to arrest him'.

So it's just a bad translation in the English version of the Sanook article. What they actually mean to say is there's no confirmation of whether the foreigner was using a stun gun device yet.

The Thai version just says they're still investigating.

So in that case why put his photos in an article like this... it would be defamation to do this to a Thai before investigations confirm whether it was a phone or a stun gun... yet a foreigner can be photographed. And why does it take so long to confirm whether it was a stun gun or not? How hard can it be?

Just total incompetence on a daily basis in this country

I went and read the Facebook post of the Thai guy, turns out the guy in the picture is the foreigner. He 'grabbed him and called security to arrest him'.

So it's just a bad translation in the English version of the Sanook article. What they actually mean to say is there's no confirmation of whether the foreigner was using a stun gun device yet.

So in that case why put his photos in an article like this... it would be defamation to do this to a Thai before investigations confirm whether it was a phone or a stun gun... yet a foreigner can be photographed. And why does it take so long to confirm whether it was a stun gun or not? How hard can it be?

Thanks for the info.

is this just what the Thai guy thinks, or has the phone been identified as a stun gun?

good god, there is healthy skepticism, and then there is sheer lunacy.

are you really intimating that the thai made the whole thing up and perhaps suffered a spontaneous stroke or heart attack?

sad.

Nasty piece of work who probably thinks it's funny. Should be deported and barred.

If it was a stun gun, somehow I don't think his motive was to have a bit of fun with a complete stranger.

Edited by dotpoom

I've seen many photos of Thais ... especially here on tv.com ... being arrested who have not yet been charged nor tried. So, don't be so quick to misassume a conspiracy against farangs.

Edited by HerbalEd

Was there a crime? if so what was the intention?

Could this be a duff replacement battery from China?

I don't get it.

I rented a condo for 20k+ baht for some years.

One day i was showering when i heard a big bang and the water stopped flowing. The waterheater had exploded and it even had a big sticker on it with a German flag!

When i told the landlord about it she thought it had been my fault...If i wanted it fixed fast i had to go buy the new boiler myself and her engineers would replace it.

Another time i bought a string of christmas led-lights in the Central store. At home i connected it to 220V and got shocks from it on my hands!!

I brought it back to Central who refunded me.

Well next time i also will call the securityguards to arrest them.

"After this experience I want to warn people to watch out for these criminals. If I wasn't aware what was happening I might have held onto the phone and who knows what would have happened. I am still shaking just thinking about this."

I know it not funny, but he is still shaking just thinking about it !!!!