Chipset Fan Problems!

agsnowdon

Hi

I have an ASUS A8N5X Mother Board and the chipset fan is not working I know where you plug the fan into is fin as have plugged another fan in and it runs fine.

Tried to take the fan off but don't know how and not sure if it does come off or if it actually attached to the chipset.

Here’s the one I'm on about

post-17137-1163449482_thumb.jpg

I can see there is 3 screws behind the fan and that there are 2 black spring loads next to it but even if you push on these it don't matter as they are attached to the same part you need to lift off.

Do you think the fan has just gone and packed up as i know the socket is fine and the MB is only 5 moths old but has been on constantly or do you think it could be the wiring of the fan????

Or can I run my PC without this fan I doubt as it wouldn’t be there!

And anyone know how to remove it?

Any help welcomed!!!

(No warranty on this MB to as brought it abroad and took it home)

Ash

agsnowdon -

DO NOT OPERATE MOTHERBOARD, IF CHIPSET FAN NOT WORKING!

(.......you could seriously damage/even destroy the chipset)

If you don't already have one, open then save the "A8N5X User's Manual" here: A8N5X User's Manual (pdf 2.5mb)

(.....or go to their Global support site here and d/l the manual there.)

Then refer pages 1-11 and 1-12 which detail fan installation. Just reverse the proceedure.

waldwolf

Just went through a similar process on a slightly different ASUS motherboard. It looks like you have a cover over the actual fan. Once you get that off, you can remove the 4 screws that hold the CPU fan on. You'll find replacements on the fourth floor (toward the back) at Panthip for about 50 baht. Buy an extra (they seem to last 2-3 years), and make sure to ask for long screws if the new fan is thicker than the old one.

I also found that once I did replace the fan, the ASUSProbe utility (and the otherboard power-on test) refused to recognize it. As long as you have ASUSProbe set to turn the machine off if the CPU temp gets too high, though, you should be ok.

Good luck,

Retiree

Thanks to both of you for your speedy replies but I'm actually after information regarding the chipset not the cpu maybe thats where the confusion is??

I have gained some info from another forum with this great guide which you may be intrested in just for your information.

Removing fan

Going to buy a heatsink instead as that wont be failing.

Thanks for your help!!!!

//repaired your link - Tywais//

......Going to buy a heatsink instead as that wont be failing......
Replacing the fan with just a heatsink, is not a good idea. I'm sure ASUS would have done so, and saved a lot of $$, if just a heatsink would have done the job. The fan in question may also be providing air circulation (therefore cooling) to other components on the motherboard, not just that particular chipset.

When replacing computer fans, try to find replacements which have ball bearings, rather than sleeve bearings. Ball types may cost slightly more, but they have a much, much longer life and are quieter in their "old" age.

waldwolf

FWIW, I had a similar problem just a couple months after purchasing my A8N-SLI Deluxe MB. It was a noisy and slow death. Shortly after the main 8cm fan in the back of front of the PC case died too.

As a replacement I purchased a north bridge heat sink (no fan), and a 10cm replacement fan for the case. I've have had a happy MB since. Even though I operate my PC in a room with no A/C, in Thailand, my chipset temp never rises any hotter than it did with the fan.

I do not play video games (constantly) or modify the default MB settings to make my PC run faster. I would imagine if you do you may require additional cooling.

BTW, removing the chipset fan is easy, firmly press down on each corner the unit and clip the four plastic pegs with a wirecutter or knife. Watch out for bouncing springs and remainders of the pegs when you cut.

Edited by clokwise

My computer was re-booting every ten minutes and I couldn't figure it out. I ended up taking it to a shop and it turned out the P4 3.0 Ghz processor was shot. I couldn't get another so it was replaced with a Celeron 2.66 Ghz. When I got it home I wanted to replace the fan with a premium Foxconn fan. I don't know what the guy put between the fan and chip, BUT it is firmly stuck to the processor chip. I was afraid to do too much prying because I was afraid I would damage the chip. The fan should lift off the chip without pulling the chip from the socket.

I don't know what the guy put between the fan and chip, BUT it is firmly stuck to the processor chip. I was afraid to do too much prying because I was afraid I would damage the chip. The fan should lift off the chip without pulling the chip from the socket.

Probably used thermal heat sink pads (usually a dark grey). They do stick very solidly but can be removed. Had that happen to me when trying to remove just the fan, the cpu popped out of the socket with the lever still in the closed position. The way to do it is to remove the fan and cpu as a unit. Then holding the cpu by the edges (be carefull of static electricty) twist the fan back and forth, it will then break (bad choice of word) free.

FWIW, I had a similar problem just a couple months after purchasing my A8N-SLI Deluxe MB. It was a noisy and slow death. Shortly after the main 8cm fan in the back of front of the PC case died too.

As a replacement I purchased a north bridge heat sink (no fan), and a 10cm replacement fan for the case. I've have had a happy MB since. Even though I operate my PC in a room with no A/C, in Thailand, my chipset temp never rises any hotter than it did with the fan.

I do not play video games (constantly) or modify the default MB settings to make my PC run faster. I would imagine if you do you may require additional cooling.

BTW, removing the chipset fan is easy, firmly press down on each corner the unit and clip the four plastic pegs with a wirecutter or knife. Watch out for bouncing springs and remainders of the pegs when you cut.

How do you fnd out the temp of your chipset IE the N4force chip as pictured above not the CPU

Thanks

How do you fnd out the temp of your chipset IE the N4force chip as pictured above not the CPU

With the Asus mainboard you will have a utility called Asus Probe. If you have installed it from the mainboard CD, just pop it up and it will show CPU temp, fan speeds, Mainboard (chipset) temperatures, etc.

With the Asus mainboard you will have a utility called Asus Probe. If you have installed it from the mainboard CD, just pop it up and it will show CPU temp, fan speeds, Mainboard (chipset) temperatures, etc.

I see so where itt says CPU temp thats obviously the CPU and where it says MB temp thats the chipset temp???

I have decied to buy the big blue heatsink and also buy a 40mm fan which I will mount on the heat sink too so will be extra cool

These 2 items I will marry together once arrived.

HEATSINK

FAN

I see so where itt says CPU temp thats obviously the CPU and where it says MB temp thats the chipset temp???

I have decied to buy the big blue heatsink and also buy a 40mm fan which I will mount on the heat sink too so will be extra cool

That is correct (MB = Mainboard chipset - northbridge). Zalman are very good coolers. If you haven't ordered it yet you can get it in Thailand here > http://www.jedicool.com/list.php?cate=9 for 290 baht. I've order from them before (big cooler for my CPU) with no problems. Also, make sure you have enough verticle space to mount the new heatsink.

That is correct (MB = Mainboard chipset - northbridge). Zalman are very good coolers. If you haven't ordered it yet you can get it in Thailand here > http://www.jedicool.com/list.php?cate=9 for 290 baht. I've order from them before (big cooler for my CPU) with no problems. Also, make sure you have enough verticle space to mount the new heatsink.

I got to change my location staus currently in Sunny England at the mo.

I think the heatsink and fan together should be a good addition to my pc :o