L-carnitine

Hammock

I seem to remember that molecules with the "L" configuration, as opposed to the "R" configuration, are not "taken in" by your body. If this were true, the substance would be inert as far as your body was concerned. I'm not sure of this at all, just a very foggy memory. Maybe just a few minutes to research this particular "twist" on the question?

Lots of research suggest that it does work and help as a fat burner. Whether or not it works for any one individual depends on the rest of their diet. If they already get enough from food they won't notice a difference by taking a supplement.

And if they continue to eat excessively, they won't notice much of a help.

But (as they always say) as part of a sensible diet and exercise it could show some improvements :)

Given the relative low price, if you are being careful with exercise and diet it doesn't hurt to take it as a supplement. However, I would suggest getting a good brand version and check out the reviews. I usually look at Animal/Universal Nutrition or Muscletech.

Also make sure you follow the dosage amount (I think you need about 500mg -> 1.5g/day).