Visa for short visit to Foshan City,Guangdong- American Traveler

I would like to got to Foshan City Guangdong for a two day visit.

I'd like some advice figuring out visa requirments for an American traveler and best port of entry. The cheapest flights are to Hong Kong but uncear how it fits with travel to Foshan City.

Thanks,

W

Thanks Dip,

I"m in CM so would rather fly directly into Hong Kong than via Bangkok, so trying to figure out if I can do similar transit via ferry into Guangzhou with the visia in the link - anyone know?

Thanks again,

W

Sorry not possible, I live in Dongguan between HK and Guangzhou, ferries from HKIA into mainland China requires you to have a visa as you do not legally enter HK in other words you do not go through HK immigration, the ferry ticket office is before the immigration. I always use the ferry to Shekou where I usually park my car. There is no ferry from HKIA to Guangzhou, and even if there was, the 72 hour transit visi is only available at selected China airports, Guangzhou being one. But now you are hit with another problem and that is basically you will not be in transit as you will return to Thailand. I honestly believe your best bet is to go to the Chinese consulate in CM , who are known to be customer friendly and get a simple tourist visa, if you do that you can land in HK, and then take the through grain to Guangzhou, but I strongly recommend you fly into Guangzhou direct.. YOUR CHOICE

• Like 1

DipStick - cool thank you. I couldn't figure out all the mechanics of visa, subway, and ferry but I think you've clarified.

Chiang Mai to HK such an easy flight it's tempting, and not seeing any dirct flights to Guangzhou or other airports in the region. Was really hoping to avoid BKK but sounds like little choice.

Thanks for clarifying.

Best regards,

W

Mr Google is your friend , China southern airlines fly directly to Guangzhou daily. Forget flying through HK, if you insist on HK then you need to go through HK immigration make your way to Homantin railway station, and then even then without a valid China visa you will be denied entry onto the train. Take my advice as an old China hand, get a tourist visa from Chinese consulate in CM then fly directly to Guangzhou.... It's the only way trust me .. If you want more help pm me , but I really think you have got all the info you need

For the 72-hour TWOV you must fly into China from one "country" and fly out to another, with Hong Kong and Macau and Taiwan each considered a "country" for this purpose. Unless you do something like Chiang Mai - Guangzhou - Manila - Chiang Mai, it's just not possible.

Chiang Mai will probably give you a Chinese visa, but it's unlikely to be a 10-year multiple-entry visa. However, the Chinese Visa Office in Hong Kong is generally willing to give Americans these long-term visas, even if not resident in Hong Kong. If you have any plans to revisit China -- and ten years is a very long time -- then head to Foshan via Hong Kong, and get the visa there. Foshan's easy to reach by direct train or bus. (Of course you might have to spend a bit on a room while waiting for the visa, but on the other hand, HK Express often has very cheap fares between Hong Kong and Chiang Mai.)