Decent Glass of Wine in BKK?

OliverKlozerof

Anyone know where to get a decent glass of wine in Bangkok? Almost every one of the "by the glass" offerings I've had in restaurants here have been undrinkable. (After living in Northern California for several years and going for tastings in Napa and Sonoma, I can no longer drink bad wine.)

I think part of the problem may be that much of the wine has not been shipped or stored properly. It often tastes heat damaged. Then there is the issue of the enormous duties that are charged.
To make it even harder, I'd prefer a place without the typical "fashion sound" (I refuse to call it music), being pumped through the house speakers (short, looping segments; hip-hop, Thai pop).
Also, does anyone know of any wine clubs in town?
Thx.

What about one of the Wine Connection restaurants? There is one at K Village just of Rama 4, one at Rain Hill between Thonglor and Phrompong BTS, i think corner of Suk road and Soi 45, perhaps 47.

I am not much of a wine drinker, but short of really high end places, these 2 look like fairly likely options and seem to get some good reps.

I have discriminating taste in several areas. Unfortunately, yes, I think to many people that makes me a snob. Oh well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As a former Professor of Wine in your old stomping grounds of Napa & Sonoma, I have found bad bottles of wine at $5,000 a bottle, and some great bottles of wine at $7 a bottle. As everyone has different taste buds, it is just important to find a wine that you enjoy, regardless of price. In my annual wine competition, (1800 entries), you would be surprised how many inexpensive wines do quite well. Wineries that produced 15,000 cases a year, and know they can sell it out each year just through their tasting room and fan club, can charge $45 a bottle, and those that produce 150,000 cases a year need to be more realistic in their pricing. Doesn't mean they make a poor wine, just that they have a lot to sell. All we ask is that you drink a bottle a day!

I have discriminating taste in several areas. Unfortunately, yes, I think to many people that makes me a snob. Oh well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As a former Professor of Wine in your old stomping grounds of Napa & Sonoma, I have found bad bottles of wine at $5,000 a bottle, and some great bottles of wine at $7 a bottle. As everyone has different taste buds, it is just important to find a wine that you enjoy, regardless of price. In my annual wine competition, (1800 entries), you would be surprised how many inexpensive wines do quite well. Wineries that produced 15,000 cases a year, and know they can sell it out each year just through their tasting room and fan club, can charge $45 a bottle, and those that produce 150,000 cases a year need to be more realistic in their pricing. Doesn't mean they make a poor wine, just that they have a lot to sell. All we ask is that you drink a bottle a day!

Indeed. When I lived on Solano Ave in North Berkeley, I found some very drinkable bottles at the Safeway down the street for very reasonable prices. I remember going back and buying an entire case of one California wine that I loved there. I especially liked many of the the old vine zinfandels from Napa and Sonoma. And I remember thinking I'd never tasted a white wine that I considered "serious" until I tried a Chardonnay at Plump Jack winery in Napa Valley. BTW, have you watched the "Somm" movies or "Bottle Shock"? Fun flicks for the wine interested.