Australian Paralympian robbed at gunpoint in Rio

webfact

Australian Paralympian robbed at gunpoint in Rio

RIO DE JANEIRO: -- An Australian athlete who has competed in six Paralympic Games has been robbed at gunpoint in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro.

Liesl Tesch said a man brandishing a gun pushed her off her bicycle and stole it on Sunday.

Australian Paralympic team physiotherapist Sarah Ross also lost her bicycle in the attack.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-36573618

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-06-21

No one in authority must have checked and/or approved these folks route... you can die for your wallet in the wrong parts of Rio. Not to mention these ladies would have been on expensive racing bikes as well. May as well get a neon sign saying MUG ME!

Welcome to the Third World Ladies...

Edited by NumbNut

I expect many more such reports. Who's bright idea was it it to hold the Olympics in one of the most crime ridden cities in the world?

I understand being on an international selection committee can be a fast track to wealthy retirement.

Without government there is no corruption, it is the sole cause and enabler of corruption. As such the larger the government or bureaucracy the more the corruption. Government serves certain functions but it is also a parasite on society.

I expect many more such reports. Who's bright idea was it it to hold the Olympics in one of the most crime ridden cities in the world?

It was a money thing that brought the Oylmpics there.large pay outs to several voting members.

It hasn't even begun yet.

The place is crapola.......wouldn't surprise me if someone isn't killed or raped either.

Was Brazil always like this? must be a murder every 3 seconds and violent robbery even more frequent

I was in Rio in 1965 in the Royal Navy and we had a few people robbed while there. And we were there for to celebrate some centennial for the country of Brasil. Have to say I loved Rio, one of the most beautiful cities in the world with women to match of every shade of color from white to black and everything inbetween. Great memories.

Was Brazil always like this? must be a murder every 3 seconds and violent robbery even more frequent

I was in Rio in 1965 in the Royal Navy and we had a few people robbed while there. And we were there for to celebrate some centennial for the country of Brasil. Have to say I loved Rio, one of the most beautiful cities in the world with women to match of every shade of color from white to black and everything inbetween. Great memories.

About ten years ago I was working in Brazil, crewchanging out of Rio and a bloke working for my company got shot in his leg while getting mugged for his camera. His mate with him lost his watch too, but luckily did not get shot. In the excitement of the crime going down he didn't even realise he'd been hit.

That all happened not far from where this incident above took place. Just amazes me that the athlete's have not been briefed about no-go areas which are EVERYWHERE just about in Rio. You get too far away from Ipanema or Copacobana in Rio and you're in Indian country, and you are quite literally taking your life in your hands.

I haven't been back since, so maybe things may have improved meanwhile, but when I was there Rio was a basket case

Edited by NumbNut

Flamingo is not the worst place in Rio, but athletes would be safer training in Ipanema, Leblon or Copacabana. Police tend to be out in force in these areas, since they are the wealthier parts of Rio. Unfortunately, Flamingo is close to Centro, which is crime central as dark approaches.

No it wasn't, it seems to have been moving forwards to democracy, liberty and general prosperity under the Emperorships of Pedros I and II, but:

"Although there was no desire for a change in the form of government among most Brazilians, the Emperor was overthrown in a sudden coup d'état that had almost no support outside a clique of military leaders who desired a form of republic headed by a dictator. Pedro II had become weary of emperorship and despaired over the monarchy's future prospects, despite its overwhelming popular support. He allowed no prevention of his ouster and did not support any attempt to restore the monarchy. He spent the last two years of his life in exile in Europe, living alone on very little money.

The reign of Pedro II thus came to an unusual end—he was overthrown while highly regarded by the people and at the pinnacle of his popularity, and some of his accomplishments were soon brought to naught as Brazil slipped into a long period of weak governments, dictatorships, and constitutional and economic crises. The men who had exiled him soon began to see in him a model for the Brazilian republic. A few decades after his death, his reputation was restored and his remains were returned to Brazil with celebrations nationwide. Historians have regarded the Emperor in an extremely positive light and several have ranked him as the greatest Brazilian."