Living in Thailand using the 30 day Visa-Free Waiver (as a US citizen)?

Hi all,

I wanted to ask your advice about a visa situation. I’m a US citizen that’s been living in Bangkok for the last year and half, as a sort of temporary sabbatical. After working in the US for 15+ years, I had saved up a sizable amount of savings (around 180k USD in savings), and decided to simply not work for a couple years (although please note I’m not of retirement age yet, so no Retirement Visa for me!). I don't plan on staying in Thailand forever - only another year or two max - before I go back to the US (and back to the ol' boring office life).

I moved to Bangkok a year and half ago, and I’ve been coming and going using the 30 days Visa-Free waiver for US citizens. As a US citizen, we get 30 days each entry, which suits me just fine, because I travel a lot, and am really only in Thailand about 2 weeks per month on average. So to be clear, I’m “living” here as a tourist, and NOT working at all because I have plenty of savings.

However, because of all my constant entering and exiting, I’ve amassed quite a lot of entry stamps on my passport. This wasn’t a problem at all until recently. But my last two times entering into Thailand - once at BKK airport, and another time at DMK airport - the immigration officer took an uncomfortably long time reviewing my passport, and asked why I was coming to Thailand so often.

Both times, I replied that I was on sabbatical and had enough savings to support myself for years (though neither immigration officer asked for proof). Both times, my answer seemed to satisfy them, but I can see that this will become more problematic the longer I stay in Thailand using the 30 day Visa-Free waiver.

I’d like to stress that every time I leave Thailand, I leave for weeks (or even a month) at a time. I have never done an obvious “visa run” where I return the same day.

So, my question is this: Even though I am not breaking the law in any way (I am not working while in Thailand, I never overstay the 30-day-limit, and to my knowledge, there is no maximum amount of time you are allowed to spend as a tourist in Thailand per year), am I still in danger of eventually being denied entry into Thailand one of these days?

I know there are options: ED/Education Visa, the Elite Long Stay Visa Membership…but apart from these, can I safely continue using the Visa-Free waiver as my main method of staying in Thailand for just another year or two? Or am I in danger of eventually being denied entry into Thailand if I continue using this method, even though I am not breaking any laws?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have!!

It is highly unlikely that you would be denied entry at the airport. The worst case would likely be lengthy questioning and or being asked to get a visa for your next entry. Carrying 10K minimum in cash and proof of your onward flight would help.

If you were denied entry you can appeal to a supervisor so carry proof of your savings. You would be able to fly anywhere.

I agree with elviajero on the probabilities of being denied entry, but you should be aware of the potential downsides of entering at airports on Visa Exempts:

• The appeal process can take up to 7 days, while you are kept in detention.
  • If you forgo the appeal, you can purchase a last-minute ticket and pay an officer to watch you in departures area until you fly out - avoiding the detention-center. You may be denied access to purchase food and water during this time.
  • You may be required to purchase a ticket 'to your home country' - not 'anywhere'.

You are more likely to be denied Visa Exempt entry at a Land border, but the cost of a "turn-around" is simply returning to the other country. At that point, you could then travel to a Thai consulate (Penang, Vientiene, or Phnom Penh), and obtain a Single-Entry Tourist Visa. These allow a stay of 60 days, extendable in-country to 90 days total.

If you can get a multi-entry tourist-visa (METV), this would be the best option for peace of mind, providing up to 9 months stay in Thailand, with "in/out" visa runs every 60 or 90 days (depending on if you choose to extend your entry).

Based on what you have written, you qualify for one of these through USA-located Thai consulates. You may also be able to get an METV, as an American, in Australia, based on recent reports, but there is no a long record of 'success stories', to know for sure. The Perth consulate is the closest / cheapest to access (via Air Asia). See here for the latest report on that option:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/926059-metv-visa-from-australia-foreign-nationals-can-apply-the-official-word/

• Like 1

You have the luxury of getting a visa exempt entry as a national of a G-7 country.

Not everyone has this advantage, a 30 day visa free entry.

As a U.S. citizen so do I.

But you can be sure this luxury will come under increasing threat.

As has ben pointed out many times on this forum before such visa exempt entries are being watched and monitored much more closely lately.

So expect more questions and even interviews from immigration on entry to Thailand.

There are things a wise person could do to make his or her entry less of a hassle.

• Firstly, if you stay in Thailand make an effort to get yourself a Thai bank account with a Thai bank passbook.
  • Use that Thai bank passbook to show a regular transfer of funds into Thailand.
  • if you can afford it, rent an apartment in Bangkok and pay rent monthly. Keep those rent payment vouchers as proof of your residence in Bangkok.

In other words try your best to show you live here in Thailand and don't just come for the bargirls, even if you do.

And you probably should consider getting a 60 day single entry tourist visa at least once to break up your string of visa exempt entries.

That looks better to the immigration, and you need to understand that each time you enter you are on display.

Show put on a class show for them.

It may not work, but it can't hurt.

As the saying goes, you can catch more flies with Honey than Vinegar.

It's all your choice, however, but I prefer to avoid the hassle.

Finally , if you can afford it, I would look seriously into the Thai Elite Card at least the 500K Thai Baht 5 year visa option

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Thank you all for your replies. I have been reading the forum a lot, and it seems like the visa-waiver is indeed under much more scrutiny lately. That explains why I've been stopped at Immigration twice lately. Thankfully no red stamps yet.

It seems the best option for me is to get the METV, which I'd happily do, but is it possible to get the METV in person at any Thai consulate in the USA? Or *ONLY* at the embassy in Washington DC?

I know there's the mail-in option, but I would much prefer to do it as quickly as possible, in-person.

Thanks!

Thank you all for your replies. I have been reading the forum a lot, and it seems like the visa-waiver is indeed under much more scrutiny lately. That explains why I've been stopped at Immigration twice lately. Thankfully no red stamps yet.

It seems the best option for me is to get the METV, which I'd happily do, but is it possible to get the METV in person at any Thai consulate in the USA? Or *ONLY* at the embassy in Washington DC?

I know there's the mail-in option, but I would much prefer to do it as quickly as possible, in-person.

Thanks!

You can apply at any of the 3 official consulates in LA, Chicago and NY or any of the honorary consulates not just the embassy.

Thanks!

You can apply at any of the 3 official consulates in LA, Chicago and NY or any of the honorary consulates not just the embassy.

And possibly in Australia if your travels take you there. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/926059-metv-visa-from-australia-foreign-nationals-can-apply-the-official-word/

My guess is that any potential problem would be solved as soon as you show a bank statement with that much money while explaining that you're traveling for a couple years and often coming back to Thailand because it's just so beautiful and welcoming.

ED visa will solve all your probs.

So does that mean someone can leave and return to Thailand as often as they want with an ED visa? How could you he be doing an educational program if he's out of Thailand weeks or a month at a time?

Edited by HerbalEd

You have the luxury of getting a visa exempt entry as a national of a G-7 country.

Not everyone has this advantage, a 30 day visa free entry.

As a U.S. citizen so do I.

But you can be sure this luxury will come under increasing threat.

As has ben pointed out many times on this forum before such visa exempt entries are being watched and monitored much more closely lately.

So expect more questions and even interviews from immigration on entry to Thailand.

There are things a wise person could do to make his or her entry less of a hassle.

• Firstly, if you stay in Thailand make an effort to get yourself a Thai bank account with a Thai bank passbook.
  • Use that Thai bank passbook to show a regular transfer of funds into Thailand.
  • if you can afford it, rent an apartment in Bangkok and pay rent monthly. Keep those rent payment vouchers as proof of your residence in Bangkok.
In other words try your best to show you live here in Thailand and don't just come for the bargirls, even if you do.

If entering using visa exempt you are supposed to be here for tourism. Showing a Thai bank account or a rented apartment to demonstrate you live here is the worst thing you can do. They want to see that you are here short term and will be leaving.

2. Reason to believe that entry into Kingdom is not for the purpose of tourism

2.1 Alien will be interviewed and requested to show evidence of the purpose of tourism

]such as tickets, pocket money, booking slip, traveling plan.

2.2 The criterion as in 2.1 if deemed necessary to record as an evidence, the alien may be required to fill out the form as attached in the annex hereto.

Source: Guideline for inspection of citizen from certain countries that are not required to obtain a visa when entering the Kingdom of Thailand

• Like 2

ED visa will solve all your probs.

So does that mean someone can leave and return to Thailand as often as they want with an ED visa? How could you he be doing an educational program if he's out of Thailand weeks or a month at a time?

I would not use an Ed Visa if a frequent traveller. People have been forced to buy a plane-ticket to their home-country, under those conditions. An Ed may be ok for someone who wants to stay in-country for a year at a time, and is willing to jump through the hoops (financial incentives or otherwise) for each of the 90-day extentions. But even if you attend every class, be prepared to be suspected of being a scammer, at every encounter with Immigration.

And do not even think about using Visa Exempt to enter the country, if you have an old Ed Visa in your current passport. Many probably do and get through, but that 'Ed' sticker is one of the best ways to ensure greater scrutiny.

i would continue the way you do until they tell you otherwise.obviously looking presentable and being polite goes a long way.i have a friend who has been doing this for years.working outside 3 weeks ,thailand one week.once a year one month. why not ? if you fill the requirements for the 30day thingy ,they made it for you.free too.