PM Prayut satisfied with UN's support for Thailand's transition to mature democracy

webfact

PM satisfied with UN's support for Thailand's transition to mature democracy

BANGKOK, 22 June 2016 (NNT) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed his satisfaction with the United Nations (UN) providing support for Thailand’s transition to mature democracy.

He said that he talked on the phone with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon about the UN issuing a statement supporting Thailand’s transition to mature democracy.

Meanwhile, the premier said that Myanmar President Htin Kyaw and Myanmar Foreign Minister Aung San Suu Kyi will officially visit Thailand from June 23-25 to discuss bilateral issues.

The Thai side will not talk about Rohingya migrants because it is a sensitive issue and Thailand will not interfere with Myanmar's internal affairs, said the premier.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-22 footer_n.gif

In the 5 minutes that Ban reportedly had to talk during their 30-minute phone call, it is highly improbable that he could say too much, other than "how's the misses", and "what's the weather like there".

In any case, neither Ban, nor the UN, is likely to make any official statement about providing support for Thailand (over the phone).

Speaking on behalf of others again, the EU is happy with the fishing industry, then they get threatened with sanctions. The world is happy with thier human trafficking record and efforts but the tier remains the same and told to act. The world is happy with the Junta but it's still not recognised as a government.

If they make comments on behalf of others then back it up with some evidence or else the words mean about as much as a bargirl saying you're handsome and I love you and only you very much.

Speaking on behalf of others again, the EU is happy with the fishing industry, then they get threatened with sanctions. The world is happy with thier human trafficking record and efforts but the tier remains the same and told to act. The world is happy with the Junta but it's still not recognised as a government.

If they make comments on behalf of others then back it up with some evidence or else the words mean about as much as a bargirl saying you're handsome and I love you and only you very much.

But it's Thailand, and when a poo yai speaks, you're not supposed to question anything, merely accept their words as truth and be happy.

The days when actions and consequences actually have to accompany spoken words are far, far away still.

What I want to know is, did the General use his atrocious English on his phone call? Cause if so...I could see it being a rather amusing call where the General goes on and on and the Sec-Gen basically responds, "Um...okay" and "That's nice" to most of it. Perhaps that is what led to the General perceiving Ban's stance as supportive? thumbsup.gif

PM satisfied with UN's support for Thailand's transition to mature democracy

Amazing how by removing a word or two changes the entire meaning. The actual quote was "Ban reaffirmed the agency's readiness to support Thailand during this critical juncture to facilitate a swift return to democracy."

The UN also stated that:

"Referring to reports about restrictions on the freedoms of expression, opinion and assembly ahead of the August 7 referendum on the draft constitution, the secretary-general stressed that an open and inclusive debate would be essential to ensuring the legitimacy of the constitution and achieving national unity," it said."

I don't see this as support for the current state of affairs...

Inn Between:

The latest information I could find (coming from the UN) about the 30-minute phone call, can be found in http://www.un.org/press/en/2016/db160621.doc.htm under the heading **Questions and Answers

Thanks for the link. The only mention of Thailand is during a Q & A session. It's alluded to that Ban Ki-moon supports the referendum process, the spokesman wasn't aware of any stance or statement regarding the threat by the Thai military to arrest anyone who attempts to observe or poll the exits. Here's the conversation verbatim:

Question: Sure. I wanted to ask you, I saw the… the readout of Ban Ki‑moon’s discussion with the, I guess, military leader of Thailand, saying that he supports the process on the referendum. Lot of people are saying that basically what… the… the… the observation centres to watch the voting on the referendum on 7 August have been closed by the Government. The Government will arrest anyone who tries to observe it. So it doesn’t… in the statement, what is Ban Ki‑moon’s position on the closure of the centres? Is he… has he received any request to speak to the opposition that wants to observe them, and will the UN play any role in observing the referendum…?

Spokesman: I don’t know about any role the UN will have. I can check. I’m not aware of any. Obviously, we would hope that the referendum goes on peacefully and that all those who want to express themselves are able to do so and that the basic rights of people are guaranteed. There’s been no request that I’m aware of, the Secretary‑General speaking to the opposition. I have seen reports that there have been… they’re trying to speak or may have spoken to our colleagues in Geneva in the Human Rights Office.

Question: But are the right under the referenda, do they include a right to observe? It seems pretty extreme to say they’ll lock up observers…

Spokesman: I don’t… obviously, I think it’s important that the referendum go in in a way that is… in which the results are then acceptable to both parties. Oleg?

wait. blink.png what are you saying? biggrin.png

Is a mature democracy where you take control of the country at gunpoint, ousting an elected government. Disband all opposition parties, elect yourself as PM and then don't have an election?

Is a mature democracy where you take control of the country at gunpoint, ousting an elected government. Disband all opposition parties, elect yourself as PM and then don't have an election?

That seems to be how Thai democracy matures. Or should I say rots.

That seems to be how Thai democracy matures. Or should I say rots.

It's the Boyds loop of politics!! (but without the OODA bit)