Snake Bite

chubbly

Hello Everyone,

Am new to this website, so will have to keep pestering you all as i have about 20 different things i want to ask.

First off, my 8 month old cat has just come out of animal hospital after being bitten by a viper in my garden, he's still in a pretty bad way, but fortunately we managed to get him to the vet within 30 minutes of it happening, and he got great care from the Nuern Plub Warn Animal hospital in Pattaya, it happened at midnight and this hospital is 24 hours, literally a life saver.

Problem I now have is how do i ensure that i don't get anymore snakes in my garden, I'm having the bushes taken out and replaced by lawn, but i wondered if anyone had any other suggestions.

Any help would be really appreciated as i have a dog and another cat.

Chubbly

I always thought cats were pretty good at catching snakes...

i know my moggy has brought me a couple of snakes to the front door before (half eaten, dead ones that is!)

I've actually watched her dealing with a snake, got a bit worried and used the hose pipe to prevent anything horrible happening to her, but a few days later the snake appeared on my doorstep minus its head and about 4inches of its body! (This very same cat i've also seen chasing a dog about 5 times her size before, i think shes probably confused!)

A friend of mine uses some kind of powder, she puts it around her house, i'll try find out what it is.

I saw a snake repellant in a hardware store in Pattaya recently... a product imported from the USA that is supposed to repel rattlesnakes and the like.

They had quite a few of these 4 litre containers on prominent display, but I cannot vouch for their effectiveness here.

Neither could the store attendants... :o

Citrus plants (lemons/limes, lemongrass etc) are helpful. Apparently snakes don't like the smell. I was told this by both Thais and Cambodians, planted a whole bunch of lemon trees and indeed now rarely have a snack (rarely, but not never! Still much better than before I planted them, when I was getting a lot).

Plus you'll have fresh lemons to enjoy...

Thanks for all the suggestions, will be investing heavily in some lime/lemon plants. Wolfie, my cats also bring in dead snakes sometimes, but this time it was identified as a pit viper, so the cat didn't stand a chance. Good news is that after treatment and anti venom looks like he'll be fine.

Thanks again

Chubbly