Mahidol is Thailand’s No 1 university: Asia University Rankings 2016

webfact

Mahidol is Thailand’s No 1 university: Asia University Rankings 2016

249847_10153256865294012_658102924828154

BANGKOK: -- Mahidol University was ranked the No 1 university of Thailand and the 90th in Asia out of a total of 200 universities in the latest Asia University Rankings 2016 undertaken by Times Higher Education Institute.

The rankings were based on 13 indicators in five criteria which include teaching and learning, 25 percent; the quality of research works, 30 percent; references of the research works, 30 percent; internationalism, 7.5 percent; and the university’s capability in revenue making from its innovations and knowledge.

The 13 indicators cover opinion surveys among students, educators and academics and responses from the government and the industrial sector towards the universities.

Besides Mahidol which was ranked 90th in Asia out of a total of 200 universities, six Thai universities were also ranked in the list. They are King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi, Chiang Mai University, Chulalongkorn University, Suranaree Technology University, Khon Kaen University and Prince of Songkhla University.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mahidol-thailands-no-1-university-asia-university-rankings-2016/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-23

Not brilliant and whilst I would like to say more positive things I just can't. I was with someone last week who has a degree from the university and now doing a Masters in Business. She had to get the calculator out on her phone to add up 4 numbers all under 10. That says a lot.

When I first started coming to Thailand Chula was considered a top tier institution, and had respectable rankings world wide, in the top 100...There are so many reasons for the decline in educational standards here, but I think foremost is the desire of Thailand to compete as they open the nation to business...their notion, much like the USA, was to ensure that everybody had the degrees that would make a positive impression...bachelors, MBA, Phd...they ignored the obvious fact that the only way everyone can succeed is to strip the academic rigor...also, there are far too many schools here that are nothing but diploma mills...after a decade, the result is that university degrees are meaningless now...

Charles Murray, a scholar in the USA, complained about this situation...he remarked that, because of grade inflation and political correctness, a degree from Harvard is meaningless...it only tells you about the student before they were admitted to school...the degree says nothing about the actual education...

When I first started coming to Thailand Chula was considered a top tier institution

And of course their largely hi-so student body and alumni still like to imagine that they are, so survey results like this must really rankle them. The emperor is looking pretty undressed.

There are still plenty of really capable and motivated students but increasingly they simply go overseas for uni.

When I first started coming to Thailand Chula was considered a top tier institution

And of course their largely hi-so student body and alumni still like to imagine that they are, so survey results like this must really rankle them. The emperor is looking pretty undressed.

There are still plenty of really capable and motivated students but increasingly they simply go overseas for uni.

majority of hi-so student body are in International department....many fail to get to admit to a decent school overseas, hence they stay in Chula. For those that apply as international student, you can be admitted if you have average B and C grades from high school.

The local students that are admitted through exams are still top students....many large Thai companies will only hire students from Chula

I do think they way they rank the school is flawed....personal opinions should not be used as a ranking criteria

majority of hi-so student body are in International department....many fail to get to admit to a decent school overseas, hence they stay in Chula. For those that apply as international student, you can be admitted if you have average B and C grades from high school.

The local students that are admitted through exams are still top students....many large Thai companies will only hire students from Chula

I do think they way they rank the school is flawed....personal opinions should not be used as a ranking criteria

The situation is that among universities outside of Thailand, particularly in the US and Europe, virtually nobody has heard of Mahidol or other Thai universities. Chula at least has some name recognition and even a little bit of a reputation. But the rest of them have zero, nothing, nada.

When I first started coming to Thailand Chula was considered a top tier institution, and had respectable rankings world wide, in the top 100...There are so many reasons for the decline in educational standards here, but I think foremost is the desire of Thailand to compete as they open the nation to business...their notion, much like the USA, was to ensure that everybody had the degrees that would make a positive impression...bachelors, MBA, Phd...they ignored the obvious fact that the only way everyone can succeed is to strip the academic rigor...also, there are far too many schools here that are nothing but diploma mills...after a decade, the result is that university degrees are meaningless now...

Charles Murray, a scholar in the USA, complained about this situation...he remarked that, because of grade inflation and political correctness, a degree from Harvard is meaningless...it only tells you about the student before they were admitted to school...the degree says nothing about the actual education...

Chula has never been ranked in the top 100 universities in the world.

1+4=5

2+5=12

3+6=21

5+8=?

My thai maths teacher friend said=22

insisted she is right.

It's 34.

But I'm a farang, so what do I know.

Wrong. The way you have calculated would require you to insert one more equation line

4 + 7 = 32

Mediocrity pride. My my. Can't even rank in the top 50%. Where does that put the rest of Thai unis?

Is it any wonder, der that Thais who can afford it and get visas send their kids to America for a degree?

90/200, 45th %, but I can't do that algebra puzzle ??

1+4=5

2+5=12

3+6=21

5+8=?

insisted she is right.

It's 34.

Wrong. The way you have calculated would require you to insert one more equation line

4 + 7 = 32

Correct

The situation is that among universities outside of Thailand, particularly in the US and Europe, virtually nobody has heard of Mahidol or other Thai universities. Chula at least has some name recognition and even a little bit of a reputation. But the rest of them have zero, nothing, nada.

I think having heard of an university or not around the world makes no difference in terms of how good a school is. Most westerners don't know anything about the top university in Singapore, HK, Japan, or even Korea as well but that doesn't mean students or school is not reputable / capable.

I know what you think and how you feel about the other Thai universities, I agree with you but you can't really compare Thailand with more developed countries, they are on totally different levels. Especially if you look at how ranking system works. It is hard for Asian Universities to rank on top because 1.) They don't have big budgets for research like the Western schools, 2.) They don't have teachers who won lots of awards/prizes/publish papers....just to name a few points. But that does not mean the students they produce are not on par with that of the West.

Mahidol University does not deserve the top spot in Thailand, but due to their growing campus and constant update of the school - this has given them more reputation and credibility in the past 5 years, over taking Chula. Base on my experience from hiring and friends who teach at Mahidol and Chula. Chula and Thammasart still produce top students in Thailand on average.

But the average student from Chula / Thammasart is still big step down from students who graduated from top universities in develop Asian nations (singapore, japan, korea, etc)

1+4=5

2+5=12

3+6=21

5+8=?

insisted she is right.

It's 34.

4 + 7 = 32

Correct

You both get a gold star and a pat on the head.

Still waiting for someone to give the correct answer to 5+8=

Here's a hint. 1457+293=428,358

Good luck! tongue.png

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Obviously 45...multply numbers, then add the multiplier...here's another good one...what is the sum total of the numbers 1 to 100 inclusive? If you can arrive at an answer in less than say 5 to 10 seconds, you have pretty decent spatial ability. This was famously solved in a few seconds by the mathematician Gauss at age 7 when the teacher wanted to keep the class busy for a while. While others were adding up the numbers on paper Gauss immediately saw a simple solution: pair up the numbers...so 1+99 is 100, 2+98 is 100, and so on for 49 pairs of 100, plus 100 itself, and then 50...total 5050. Try this one on your friends at the bar...good fun, especially after several Changs.

That's a very good point that I lost...the university in my hometown in the US was awash with asian students...the pull for student diversity (scholarships set aside for minority students) made even the most expensive universities in the US quite affordable...