True WiFi calling, anyone using this?

torrow

I know DTAC have introduced VoWiFi (and VoLTE). You need a capable phone, and you need to register.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/919945-dtac-wifi-calling/

https://www.dtac.co.th/network/wifi-calling.html

I did not know that TrueMove H had introduced a similar offer?

Simply put, if you are in a spot with WiFi, but no mobile signal, in-bound and out-bound calls to your telephone number will ring through. I guess the primary app. is international roaming/remote locations, where you might have WiFi, but no local GSM signal. You'll still pay applicable int'l roaming fees.

http://ccamobile.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Taqua-Interop-VoWiFi-Webinar-03-11-15v1.pdf

I installed the True WiFi calling app on my Asus. Went through a registration process which was painless. Put the phone into air plane mode and it worked.

So my question is this - if I'm using WiFi in another country, what will I be charged to make and receive a call?

Answered in the FAQ: https://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/news/detail/198

I believe that you will be charged for both making and receiving calls, if you are outside of Thailand, at the prevailing international rates (typically quite high). Those calling you would pay their normal intra-Thailand rate. But you should carefully review the FAQ, and follow up for additional detail with TrueMove H.

And don't plan on moving around, the call will drop once you leave the area covered by that particular WiFi signal (i.e. no roaming).

This may be more of an advantage in those places where you have a WiFi signal, but do not have a GSM signal. Typically this might be rural areas without mobile phone coverage. You should be able to get an equivalent roaming GSM signal in many/most foreign countries.

I've been reading through the True FAQ but it's not clear.

All I'm interested in is making and receiving calls to/from Thailand whilst out of the country. Can anyone confirm whether this will be charged within your monthly package allowance or do roaming rates apply?

Standard international roaming rates will apply to you, for both in-coming and out-going calls, with the possible exception of you calling to Thailand (only). Those calls may be charged at your standard post-paid rate (included minutes or overage). People calling you from Thailand will also be charged as if they were calling within Thailand (standard domestic rates, or bundled minutes).

This is not a "free" service that many associate with VoIP services.

It is really meant to provide "roaming"-like coverage in those areas (remote/rural) where you may have WiFI service, but no local GSM/3G standard mobile telephony service. Places like tall buildings (even in Bangkok), where it can be challenging to get a signal based on height, or remote places where there is no mobile signal. This is a niche application, but popular in the U.S. for example, where in remote areas people might have home internet service but no mobile signal, unless they go to the big city.

Standard international roaming rates will apply to you, for both in-coming and out-going calls, with the possible exception of you calling to Thailand (only). Those calls may be charged at your standard post-paid rate (included minutes or overage). People calling you from Thailand will also be charged as if they were calling within Thailand (standard domestic rates, or bundled minutes).

This is not a "free" service that many associate with VoIP services.

It is really meant to provide "roaming"-like coverage in those areas (remote/rural) where you may have WiFI service, but no local GSM/3G standard mobile telephony service. Places like tall buildings (even in Bangkok), where it can be challenging to get a signal based on height, or remote places where there is no mobile signal. This is a niche application, but popular in the U.S. for example, where in remote areas people might have home internet service but no mobile signal, unless they go to the big city.

How can they charge at standard domestic rates?

My friend puts his mobile into "airplane mode", logs on to my wifi (or any wifi) and makes free calls to any mobile or landline in Thailand.

It is free to call domestic. I don't know about international calls.

My friend puts his mobile into "airplane mode", logs on to my wifi (or any wifi) and makes free calls to any mobile or landline in Thailand.

AFAIK, this feature is only available for post-paid customers. Post-paid customers have a fixed amount of bundled mobile-mobile minutes in their monthly plan. VoWiFi calls to Thailand mobiles would come out of that bundle, and once exceeded, you would be charged for overages according to your plan. So yes, the calls are "free" in that sense - perhaps my use of "standard domestic rates" was not all that descriptive. Calls to fixed lines, and 4-digit numbers, are usually charged at the overage rate, but this can vary by plan.

VoWiFi still utilizes your GSM details - layering on a mapping of your IMSI/IMEI to an IP address - to maintain billing details.

AFAIK, this feature is only available for post-paid customers. Post-paid customers have a fixed amount of bundled mobile-mobile minutes in their monthly plan. VoWiFi calls to Thailand mobiles would come out of that bundle, and once exceeded, you would be charged for overages according to your plan. So yes, the calls are "free" in that sense - perhaps my use of "standard domestic rates" was not all that descriptive. Calls to fixed lines, and 4-digit numbers, are usually charged at the overage rate, but this can vary by plan.
VoWiFi still utilizes your GSM details - layering on a mapping of your IMSI/IMEI to an IP address - to maintain billing details.

True confirmed to my friend that Wifi calling is absolutely free and has no effect on the billing whatsoever.