DTAC WiFi calling

bubba

For those of you on DTAC, you may not be aware that as of mid-March, they began supporting WiFi calling. There is nothing on their site in English about it, and I never received any promotional texts or anything else from DTAC announcing its availability. I just heard about it yesterday from my office staff.

For this of you who are not familiar with WiFi calling - this allows you to make and receive normal calls on your handset via WiFi even when you do not have a cellular connection. The best part about this is that it works internationally, so as long as you have a WiFi connection, you can make and receive calls free of roaming charges.

Here is DTAC's WiFi Calling page:

http://www.dtac.co.th/network/wifi-calling.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem&utm_campaign=network_vowifi_brand

At least for iOS (which I am using), WiFi Calling is not enabled by default and you must turn it on in settings. Not sure about Android.

Yes, it is working for me. After you enable it, you can test it by (1) Going to airplane mode then (2) Turning on WiFi. You then see "DTAC WiFi Calling" as the carrier on your phone display.

Tried to register but my device is not supported by DTAC even though it works for wifi calling with other carriers.

มือถือของคุณยังไม่รองรับการใช้งานค่ะ รับส่วนลดสมาร์ทโฟนรุ่นที่รองรับที่ www.dtac.co.th/device เพิ่มเติม www.dtac.co.th/network

Tried to register but my device is not supported by DTAC even though it works for wifi calling with other carriers.

Note that this capability is not the same as VoIP. Voice over WiFi can be very service provider specific.

What make/model phone do you have?

You need a lot of pieces: both HW and SW, and specifically an IMS stack, to enable both VoLTE and VoWiFi to work. Further a service provider may not allow you to enroll, even if you have the capabilities, based on an IMEI block.

Assuming Android, and that you have the requisite HW, you'll have to use a stock ROM with this capability, or flash a custom ROM which has it built in. Even then, DTAC may still not allow you to enroll?

Note that this capability is not the same as VoIP. Voice over WiFi can be very service provider specific.

What make/model phone do you have?

You need a lot of pieces: both HW and SW, and specifically an IMS stack, to enable both VoLTE and VoWiFi to work. Further a service provider may not allow you to enroll, even if you have the capabilities, based on an IMEI block.

Assuming Android, and that you have the requisite HW, you'll have to use a stock ROM with this capability, or flash a custom ROM which has it built in. Even then, DTAC may still not allow you to enroll?

I have an unlocked nexus 5X with the latest version of Android. WiFi calling works with several other carriers outside Thailand.

I have an unlocked nexus 5X with the latest version of Android. WiFi calling works with several other carriers outside Thailand.

What other carriers have you been using Voice over WiFi with? There are not too many: Project Fi, T-Mobile.

Do you have the menu pick: Settings, Wireless & networks, More, WiFi calling?

(You may have to go phone testing menu: *#*#4636#*#*; Phone information, toggle "Turn on IMS Registration Required", re-boot twice.)

Assuming you have the proper IMS stack, and all settings configured properly, DTAC may still block you based on your IMEI, which indicates a "non-supported" device.

What other carriers have you been using Voice over WiFi with? There are not too many: Project Fi, T-Mobile.
Do you have the menu pick: Settings, Wireless & networks, More, WiFi calling?
(You may have to go phone testing menu: *#*#4636#*#*; Phone information, toggle "Turn on IMS Registration Required", re-boot twice.)
Assuming you have the proper IMS stack, and all settings configured properly, DTAC may still block you based on your IMEI, which indicates a "non-supported" device.

Actually, there are now many carriers around the world that support WiFi calling.

I realise this is an Apple link supporting iPhones, but it is a good listing of just about every country in the world showing carriers and what they support:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204039

Looks like DTAC are sort of ahead of the pack. In Asia, there are WiFi calling supported carriers only in Hong Kong, Malaysia and Thailand. Even Australia and Singapore do not have it yet. In Thailand, your only choice is DTAC.

Actually, there are now many carriers around the world that support WiFi calling.

Meh. Thirteen hardly qualifies as "many". I only mentioned the two that OP was likely to have used.

That said, DTAC has always been ahead of the curve here, both with Voice over Wi-Fi and VoLTE.

There are a lot of billing issues with VoWiFi, so assume you have to qualify with DTAC, maybe as a post-paid customer? Be sure to review the terms & conditions, especially re: in-bound, out-bound and roaming charges when using this feature.

Application-wise I'm not seeing a huge benefit with this capability? Obviously, in locations where there is no cellular signal, or roaming is a problem, and where you have a decent WiFi signal, it might be beneficial.

Not sure if DTAC provides WiFi calling only to postpaid customers, but I am postpaid.

For me, the huge benefit of WiFi calling is mostly travelling outside of Thailand. There is no charge for inbound or outbound calls when you are using WiFi calling. As for me, most of my time travelling on business trips is spent in an office or hotel connected to WiFi, and WiFi calling will result in a major savings on roaming charges. I cannot recall a location inside Thailand where I had WiFi access but no DTAC signal, so that is not a significant benefit.

There are not too many: Project Fi, T-Mobile.

Meh. Thirteen hardly qualifies as "many". I only mentioned the two that OP was likely to have used.

I assumed that the question referred to someone from North America or Europe. There are now ten carriers in North America supporting WiFi calling and seven in Europe. Attempting to be constructive, I was only suggesting that there are many other possible carriers supporting WiFi calling apart from Project Fi and T-Mobile.

As for me, most of my time travelling on business trips is spent in an office or hotel connected to WiFi, and WiFi calling will result in a major savings on roaming charges.

Obviously there is no mechanism for handing calls off from GSM/LTE to Wi-Fi, or from one Wi-Fi network to another, and vice-versa, so you'll have to remain very non-mobile, unless you want the call to drop.

Most service providers are only offering this service within their geographic areas/countries. They do not offer international services. DTAC apparently does.

DTAC's web-site seems to indicate that for calls originating in Thailand, or for calls made to Thailand, that your current post-paid plan terms will cover the charges (bundled minutes, overages, etc.) Calls made in another country (within that country, or to a third country), and calls made from within that country, or from a third-country, will be subject to standard international roaming charges.

Obviously WiFi calling is not a complete replacement for traditional GSM roaming as well. For those of us who spend much of our time connected to wifi while at an office or in a hotel room, WiFi calling will result in substantial savings.

Most service providers are only offering this service within their geographic areas/countries. They do not offer international services. DTAC apparently does.

Yes, DTAC do provide international services and the topic of this thread is 'DTAC WiFi Calling'.

DTAC's web-site seems to indicate that for calls originating in Thailand, or for calls made to Thailand, that your current post-paid plan terms will cover the charges (bundled minutes, overages, etc.) Calls made in another country (within that country, or to a third country), and calls made from within that country, or from a third-country, will be subject to standard international roaming charges.

DTAC's page:

http://www.dtac.co.th/network/wifi-calling.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem&utm_campaign=network_vowifi_brand

...does state that you can use WiFi calling anywhere in the world to receive calls or place calls to Thai numbers with no international roaming charge, using your standard domestic call minutes plan. For me, that will be a substantial cost savings when travelling outside of Thailand. I found this news release in English:

http://en.postupnews.com/2016/03/dtac-wifi-calling-vowifi.html

Are we making this conversation more convoluted and complicated than need be? My only point in creating the thread was: if you have DTAC and a compatible device, you can use WiFi calling when you are outside Thailand to place and receive calls to/from Thailand without roaming charges.

• 5 months later...

Regarding Wi-Fi Calling I am facing an issue with DTAC and even them are not able to solve it, until now. I bought two DTAC SIMs in Bangkok in september and I really don't remember if I enabled and tested the Wi-Fi Calling feature with my iPhone at that time. So I came back to Brazil and tried to use it. When I enable it, the error message "To allow Wi-Fi calling on this account, contact dtac". So I called them and also kept conversations thru Facebook with their representatives that, in the end, said that I should enable it when in Thailand since it cannot be enabled while roaming. 

So I returned to Bangkok last October and enabled the feature in both iPhones (this time, one iPhone 7 and one iPhone 6S). It worked flawlessly in several Wi-Fi networks. Then I came back to Brazil and the same error message persists. Well, they said to me that several adjustments were done in my accounts but the error still shows and Wi-Fi calling cannot be enabled. Any hint? The last message from dtac asks me to try to use it (which I did, no success) and they they would put engineering in touch with me with the help of a translator...

Any dtac engineer here ;-)

BR

Julio

• 1 year later...

I'm resuscitating this old thread to share a gem I've discovered a few months ago: DTAC now has an application that allows you to make/receive calls and SMSes over data wherever you are in the world, provided you have a working data connection (wifi of course, but also 3G/4G if you have a local SIM with data). Its name  is "DTAC Call"

Here's a link to the Android version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.co.dtac.wificalling

It might exist for iOS as well but no fruity thing here (God forbid!) so I can't tell.

It's different from what was discussed above because it doesn't use the phone's built-in functions for calls and messages. It's a separate, standalone application that has its own dialer and messenging tool.

As far as I can tell it works with any reasonably recent Android phone.

But it's great! You may now use your DTAC number when you're abroad for exactly the same call and SMS rates as when you're in Thailand. It can be useful as well when you're in an area without DTAC coverage but there's an usable wifi. There's a simple switch to choose reception of calls and messages to your SIM or to the app. Best of all: it's reliable. Been using it for months and not a single issue as of now.

You have to create an account and then activate your account with a code received by SMS on your regular SIM. So it has to be done while you're able to use your SIM but hey... receiving SMSes while roaming abroad works so you don't even need to be in Thailand.

This little gem really changed my life so I thought that it would be nice to share the tip.

Yes, the original DTAC WiFi Calling app. discussed at the start of this thread has morphed into DTAC Call, which added the capability to manage up to five (5) separate DTAC SIM/numbers.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/info/dtac-call.html

http://www.dtac.co.th/call/doc/20171117 - dtac call_Customer Journey_EN.pdf

I have used it, especially on a recent trip back to the U.S., and it worked acceptably. I encountered a few issues: the app. is a battery-hog and has to be running constantly, sometimes incoming calls could not be received, I think I could send SMSes but not receive them. And, you can't move around much during a call. And it obviously doesn't address the mobile network requirements in a foreign country.

I am pretty certain the handset needs to support VoWiFi, and be provisioned as such (*#*#4636#*#*, Phone information, make sure WiFI Calling Provisioned is "on"). Additionally, the handset may have a setting for call preferences: Settings, Network & Internet, Mobile network, Advanced, Calling, WiFi calling: On/Off, WiFi calling mode: WiFI preferred, Mobile preferred.

Once it's set up you can remove your DTAC SIM.

I think for very specific applications: no DTAC coverage, say in a high-rise here, or if you need to receive calls/return them on your DTAC number when traveling outside of Thailand, and do not want to pay for roaming, and you have a stable WiFi connection, then it is OK.

AIS and TrueMove H also support this VoWiFi capability, albeit without a separate application (excluding the 5 number thing as well).

http://www.ais.co.th/4g/vowifi/en/

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/news/detail/473?ln=en

I'm using DTAC Call all the time, (unfortunately) not being a resident in Thailand anymore and therefore spending most of my time in my home country, and I've never noticed it draining battery on my Samsung J7. And it's active all the time. Weird.

No issue at all with calls and sending/receiving SMSes either. SMS reception is way more reliable and fast than using my DTAC SIM card in roaming. I use this all the time for OTP passwords from my Thai bank.

I did absolutely nothing for being able to use this app and it even worked flawlessly on a Chinese, no-name 50 euros Android smartphone, so I'm pretty sure that there are no special requirements.

I love this app. Changed my life ? ... will look into the AIS equivalent which I didn't know existed, thanks. I also have an AIS SIM.

1 hour ago, Lannig said:

I'm using DTAC Call all the time, (unfortunately) not being a resident in Thailand anymore and therefore spending most of my time in my home country, and I've never noticed it draining battery on my Samsung J7. And it's active all the time. Weird.

No issue at all with calls and sending/receiving SMSes either. SMS reception is way more reliable and fast than using my DTAC SIM card in roaming. I use this all the time for OTP passwords from my Thai bank.

I did absolutely nothing for being able to use this app and it even worked flawlessly on a Chinese, no-name 50 euros Android smartphone, so I'm pretty sure that there are no special requirements.

I love this app. Changed my life ? ... will look into the AIS equivalent which I didn't know existed, thanks. I also have an AIS SIM.

I believe AIS VoWifi use native support by iOS and Android without the need for a separate app. I can even used the VoWifi through in-flight Wifi inside the plane to receive OTP from my Thai bank.

Well, I agree that true, native VoWifi is nice and dandy but it's usually restricted to a (very small) set of supported handsets. In Europe, some operators even restrict this further to smartphones bought through their own sales channels.

So I prefer the DTAC approach of using a separate app which works on just every Android smartphone, by far.

Especially since this app is surprisingly well done: you can call any contact in your contact list transparently and calls appear in your general call log. Only SMSes are kept apart, which I don't mind.

It would seem that MMSes are not supported, too, but that's a very minor issue for me.

And I do receive OTP SMSes from my bank this way, too.

Archived