Case closed with no charges over fire that killed 17 children in northern Thailand

webfact

How pathetic. I hope the 17 parents or relatives can sue these idiots. coffee1.gif

Let's hope some socially conscious lawyers get into this on a pro bono basis to help the families as they can't expect anything from other quarters.

I agree Kid; that would be exceptional. Do you think this will occur? My vote is it WILL NOT. I think in my home country there would be "vigilantes" gearing up.

I fear you and gandalf are right and no one will step forward which is a sad reflection on attitudes in this country but, unfortunately, isn't a surprise.

Perhaps someone from the hill tribes who has made good in life can get involved.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fire was an incident beyond any reasonable prevention

What a terrible statement to make and an absolute lie.

Nobody seems to believe the police's version of the cause of events, and who would blame them? Expertise in may fields is lacking in this country and disaster prevention, mitigation and investigation is one such area.

An investigation of this nature would have taken months, even years in the West, where they actually look for root causes and have no qualms about assigning blame and responsibility.

Here, a few pooyais and senior police seem to come up with their conclusions over a bowl of noodles in Somchai's shop!

What a bloody disgrace !! No charges.

No adult supervision, that in itself is enough to bring charges.

Only hill tribe kids so it does not matter.

Investigators should hang their heads in SHAME.

IMO, the charges are secondary in this case, no amount of charges are going to bring these children back.
That said, for the investigators to determine that the fire was an "unpreventable" accident is not only absurd but irresponsible, again IMO.
Leaving children unsupervised in a locked room, with no fire detection system or fire fighting equipment is preventable with supervision, unlocked doors, fire detection and fire fighting equipment available.
If anything comes from this tragedy, please let it be that standards are set, both childcare and inspection of boarding areas, and strictly adhered to.
Then, worry about the charges against every single person in the chain that is responsible for this "unpreventable" event.
I know, I know................
Edited by chrisinth

Lets hope the ghosts of these poor kids come to haunt them every night,

the list of people that should have some level of responsibility for this

PREVENTABLE accident ,from electricians,no smoke alarms,owner of

the establishment,whoever was responsible for locking the doors from

the outside,the local council,who should have checked on the conditions

there. so will anything be learnt from this tragic accident,I dont think so

regards Worgeordie

I'm choking on the comment that the absence of safety equipment didn't matter as nothing could be further from the truth.

I don't know anything about Thai building and safety codes although I'm sure that like so much of Thai law they will be extremely flexible and open to the interpretation that best suits. If smoke detectors and alarms are not mandatory there should be, at the very least, a comment that things could have been so much different had they been fitted.

The offhand manner in which this has been written off is disgusting and certainly shoots down any pretence that Thailand is a responsible and caring society. Any caring here seems to simply be predicated on who is involved in a situation and may be held liable.

I personally find this outcome to be far from satisfactory --- but -- I think SO LONG AS the law, as it applied at the time of the incident, was correctly applied to the case and facts at hand, then I can (albeit begrudgingly) accept the outcome.

Loss of life like that, is to me, wholly unacceptable.. But.. That in and of itself does not mean that the case MUST be criminal and/or someone MUST be prosecuted...

I think the facts and the relevant law should dictate this decision.

This does not say that I think no one should be held to account -- but that I want the process of fact finding and application of law to steer that process and not a simple linear formula of someone died therefore someone must be prosecuted.

Without any benefit of knowing the case facts or a good reading of the relevant law, I *suspect* that it is/was a combination of inadequate legal protections combined with poor decision making and attention to safety.

Those responsible for locking the doors from the outside and not allowing those inside the means of unlocking them are culpable for the deaths that occurred and should stand trial.

As were those involved in the SCB fire prevention upgrade deaths. They were quickly found to be at fault though the incident happened due to accidental discharge of the fire suppresent gas,locked exit doors etc.

What's worse - not even a list of recommendations to prevent further tragedies like this !

For any institution there should be:

Obligatory smoke alarms

Accredited electrical installations

Emergency exits

Accountable people

Very sad that these things are ignored, like many other aspects of safety in Thailand.

It's like school kids were in charge of what should have been a serious investigation.

Authorities in Thailand should be ashamed but I doubt that is case. No compassion, no Humanity, so Thai words like มนุษยธรรมม, manutsayatham, etc. should be deleted from their dictionary. I sincerely hope there is someone 'out there' to champion the 17 dead children's cause. R.I.P.

Right, so what they're actually saying is the influential person responsible is not going to be charged...

Do you think he placed the wiring himself? And the electricians also can't be blamed because they don't have certifications. And nope, Thailand doesn't need good electricians or special schools to train them.

Ur talking out of ur bottom again.

Of course someone should be held accountable. No staff present, Door locked, No fire alarms.

The school governor or owner should be charged but yes it sounds like he is a influential figure an can't be touched.

Absolutely scandalous but hey this is Thailand, wot do u expect when money talks.

Authorities in Thailand should be ashamed but I doubt that is case. No compassion, no Humanity, so Thai words like มนุษยธรรมม, manutsayatham, etc. should be deleted from their dictionary. I sincerely hope there is someone 'out there' to champion the 17 dead children's cause. R.I.P.

Since they were kids from hill tribes, and poor, I doubt very many Thais will give it more than a passing thought. It is no surprise at all that no charges are laid in respect of 17 dead children, likely killed in a most horrific way.

This narcissism and borderline psychopathy is one of the major reasons I dislike the Thai culture so much. It reaches everywhere, into all people and in all activities.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

Right, so what they're actually saying is the influential person responsible is not going to be charged...

Do you think he placed the wiring himself? And the electricians also can't be blamed because they don't have certifications. And nope, Thailand doesn't need good electricians or special schools to train them.

Like so many others I really don't know much about Thai law other than to see that it can be conveniently flexible when appropriate so I don't know if Vicarious Liability applies here which would possibly see influential people having to face some responsibility.

If it were hiso kids it wouldn't surprise me that there'd be a world of trouble for those responsible, even if in fact they weren't responsible, they'd be in trouble. Once again the message is your life isn't worth any more thought than some bothersome annoyance to be quickly done with.

What is sad is that as far as safety precautions the cultural norm that nothing be said about these things or complain is so strong that people learn to block out their awareness to the point that they don't seem to notice when they or others are endangered. Often times, pointing out safety or health concerns is one way to get people quite annoyed with you in this society.

I can well imagine that even if anyone at the school had noticed problems before hand and said something or tried to set things right, they would be seen as a trouble maker and likely their objections would be perceived more as an excuse to attack someone than a legitimate concern for the students' well-being. That anyone would actually care about someone's life is just completely off the radar in Thai public life, your concern for others safety would be met with incomprehension: you should care about your family members at most, not other people's kids, it is not your problem and it is OK if your business or organzations' practices result in someone else's children's deaths. So, it is almost as though the statement that there's nothing that could be done to prevent the childresn's deaths refers to how given that we only need be concerned with our own children's welfare, there was nothing that the 17 children's parents could have done about the locked doors and the bad electrician's work and the decision of the school to not have staff looking out for the kids.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

Heed my words To the keystone Kop who ruled this an accident Karma is a bitch. remember that so when your smoldering body is found in a rice paddy and your death is ruled suicide so insurance doesn't have to pay your family.

Like many people here, I find it difficult to comprehend the legal outcome of this tragic case. I would be interested to know what the Education Department/Ministry has done to ensure this scenario never happens again.

This decision, while horrendous from a western perspective, is entirely consistent with the time-honored, and still influential, tradition of Sakdina. The lives of 17 children (who would have been considered chattel in the past) are not equal in value to those of the individuals responsible for their care. However, those 17 lives do have some value. Perhaps compensation will be offered. A pittance, no doubt.

On the other hand, one could hope the traditions are not so strong, and some Thais will protest this shameful result.

Like many people here, I find it difficult to comprehend the legal outcome of this tragic case. I would be interested to know what the Education Department/Ministry has done to ensure this scenario never happens again.

That's easy to predict: nothing.

W

It appears that everyone on this topic is in agreement, which is nice to see. The whole decision of an accident and no fault is disgusting and insensitive to the families. I am so glad the Thai apologists haven't come out with thier incentive posts of, this is Thailand and if you don't like it bugger off.

An accident and no one is responsible, are they bloody joking? Who was responsible for locking the doors, the lack of supervision of children and the inadequate fire safety. This is absolutely disgusting.

and to think that smoke detectors are 200THB each in Australian hardware stores. Are they available in Thailand?

So, the fire was deemed to be an unpreventable accident by investigators.

What about the smoke detectors, the sprinkler system, the fire extinguishers, the safety signs and exits, the emergency evacuation plan, the adult in charge of the dormitory, the regular safety checks and fire drills, the government regulations about dormitories, the authorities responsible for policing the safety standards, the investigators themselves (for saying it was an an unpreventable accident), and most significantly - the coroner's report that should ensure that this type of tragedy can not occur again?

An accident - maybe so in Thailand, but certainly not unpreventable unless we ignore the cascade of very, very, preventable failures!