UK pound plunges as referendum results point to EU exit

webfact

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Switzerland and Norway are doing pretty well outside of EU , I am sure the UK will be able to enjoy their new freedom .

Norway does well with the North Sea oil, the UK"s share of which is destined now to sail off into the sunset with Scotland.

Switzerland and Norway are doing pretty well outside of EU , I am sure the UK will be able to enjoy their new freedom .

France, Holland and Denmark next.

So the EU is collapsing? (Sorry, don't pay much attention to European news.)

If so, won't that set back plans for any fans of a New World Order? smile.png

My condolences to the Brit expats here on the pound.

And not for the first time.

I remember the mid-2000's when it was around 72b to the GPB.

Pensioners coming here with 1000GPB pensions.

they are now 10 years older, mid-70's, their pension has lost 40% in exchange rates, and everything is twice the price.

Still, chin up Brits.

This was a referendum 'primarily' based on fear of immigrants if we're being honest.

The 'Farage/Trumpification' pied-piper tactics appealing to the base fears and inner racists of a slight majority of simple Simon's & Sally's wins the day (but at a tremendous cost which is yet to be fully revealed and could well be a catalyst for a global contagion).

Critical separation votes such as this should require a 10% majority margin to pass lest many in the 'win' camp wake up the next day similar to the morning after being rather reckless at a heady party and realise 'oh sh|t, what have I done'....

Hasten to add, ironically the real 'winner' here in a weakened, divided and fearful western civilization is ISIS and their ilk. Congrats Farage/Trump et al.

Edited by sujoop

Yup.

The problem isn't the EU. It's the Euro. The UK had the best of both worlds with full access to the trading block, but their own currency. They have now pissed away that advantage, because they couldn't restrain their hatred of immigrants.

Weak Pound is good. Good for foreign direct investment. Good for getting a proper trade balance back. Good for re-balancing the economy back to real production. Good for diminishing our enormous debts.

How low will it go, how long will it stay there & when will it bounce ?

:D

I'd give it a month before it is back where it was.

Markets always overreact.

they are now 10 years older, mid-70's, their pension has lost 40% in exchange rates, and everything is twice the price.

Still, chin up Brits.

What about the British pensioners who came here in the mid 1990s, 35bht/pound, 20 years later their 1,000 pounds is worth a lot more.

Weak Pound is good. Good for foreign direct investment. Good for getting a proper trade balance back. Good for re-balancing the economy back to real production. Good for diminishing our enormous debts.

:D

Yep.

Still, chin up Brits.

What about the British pensioners who came here in the mid 1990s, 35bht/pound, 20 years later their 1,000 pounds is worth a lot more.

Doubtful if that's true in the absence of cost of living adjustments to NI.

biggrin.png

Don't try to time the markets. "Buy when blood is running in the streets".- Baron Rothschild

biggrin.png

Don't try to time the markets. "Buy when blood is running in the streets".- Baron Rothschild

Umm. A short, fat, tall, skinny man?

Interesting side issue from a BBC reporter in Warsaw reporting shock there and worries for the 1 Million or so Poles in Britain and what will happen to their status, freedom to travel, education for their children and THEIR JOBS or in other words the money they earn and send back to Poland.

Join the United States in a confederation and trade union of the English speaking nations of the world (USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, South Africa, and your Caribbean islands). A much better fit than those slippery Continentals ☺

A great idea. Especially with those continentals being so close to the UK. Makes much more sense to boost trade with countries much further away.

Ignore these indicators, all a symptom of speculation and market uncertainties. Just have a cup of tea, it will all be OK.

In a matter of hours the Baht value of my State pension fell by 12% and more likely to come. I and others will need something a little more fortifying than a cup of tea i think. coffee1.gifcrazy.gif

Mine too but I believe that in the long term it will get better.

Meanwhile we just have to make the best of what we have.

It is so sad that the C2DEs in the UK didn't seem to listen to the really well informed posters on TVF and the Bremainers would have won..

The French should open the gates in Calais, as a good bye gift.

And the UK can legally close the gates now
Yes, the same way Italy, Greece, France, etc, have legally closed the gates of the Mediterranean. French still has to close the gates on behalf of UK in Calais though. Edited by Calach

Just wondering if any of the Brit expats living here knew that the pound would drop so substantially if Brexit won and converted and good chunk to baht before the referendum, just in case.

Yes...i am hoping for a 20 to 25% hit on the GBP when London opens...easy money to be made over the medium term...

do you really believe that London opening will have any effect on currency trading that goes on 24 hours during trading days? gigglem.gif