DNS server is not responding

JohnnyJazz

I recently switched from True to AIS fibre. I'm quite happy with the move, network is much faster and the interruption of service are not every couple of hours like I was used with True.

Nonetheless, every now and then I have to switch off/on the Zyxel router provided by AIS because I can't access any website and I when I try to troubleshoot, I got the message "The DNS server is not responding". My configuration is not the standard home one as I have a switch behind the AIS gateway and a home network with 5 computers and a NAS. Beside the fact that I can't access any website, everything is working fine, torrents still download, Skype is working and I can exchange files between computer on my home network.

Any idea where I should look first to solve this problem ?

I switched to AIS Fiber (as they so annoyingly spell it) about 10 days ago. Since then I've had exactly the same problem several times a day. As far as I can tell, it's not actually a DNS problem, but rather the network stops responding. (Since DNS caching is very short term in most browsers, most visits to new pages require a DNS lookup, and that's why you're getting a DNS message, rather than a loss of network message. That said, I do also get "no Internet connection" messages from time to time - presumably when the DNS entry is in cache.)

For me, the only difference is that torrents do stop downloading, which is consistent with a total loss of ip connectivity. (Don't use Skype.)

Don't have an answer for you. AIS tells me they are "looking into it".

Just curious, but would changing the DNS server you use help?

I am on True (Fiber?) 30/3 and am frequently seeing long delays in page loading. Nothing happens for seconds, then bang, it loads. Not really sure what is happening. and I am using the Google DNS servers.

Just curious, but would changing the DNS server you use help?

First thing I tried. Unfortunately, it hasn't helped.

Kind of guessed it wouldn't. As I stated I am using google DNS and am getting these big delays in connecting. My guess is that the stupid IT ministry is f'ing things up with their great firwall of Thailand.

Are you certain you have your AIS Fiber modem/router and your "switch" properly configured? It almost sounds like a double-NAT issue.

I guess I'd take the "switch" out of the configuration and test/monitor the service with just the AIS device.

For those using Google DNS can you ping/tracert 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

Are you certain you have your AIS Fiber modem/router and your "switch" properly configured? It almost sounds like a double-NAT issue.

I guess I'd take the "switch" out of the configuration and test/monitor the service with just the AIS device.

For those using Google DNS can you ping/tracert 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

I believe too it's more a problem of router / switch configuration but what I don't understand is the relation with the torrents. Because it really seems the problem appears when I try to download more than 2-3 torrents at the same time. Most of the time I have up to 5-6 devices connected to the switch without problem. Then I try to download a couple of torrents (actually around 20), the download goes full throttle, nothing to complain about that, but I lost internet access. Correlation doesn't imply causation but ....

Again, I might remove the switch, and work just with the AIS fiber modem/router to see if you experience similar issues. If you do then it might some shaping/throttling issue with AIS, or you are just consuming all your available bandwidth with torrents.

Are you using AIS's DNS servers? Other DNS servers? Can you ping/tracert to those servers when you get the error message?

If your service works OK with just the AIS device, then it is a configuration issue. There are a few ways to set up your device(s) (bridge, DMZ, port forward) so they should work. You can look through some local forums to see how others are dealing with this on AIS.

Edited by mtls2005

Another thing to consider with torrents is that they torrent application can open a huge number of TCP connections which many domestic routers cant cope with. Try limiting the amount of peers per torrent .