Chinese tourists hospitalised after tour bus rolls in Patong accident

rooster59

Are there some guesthouses up there on hasip pee road now? I haven't been over by there for at least 10 years.

Patong Bay Hill Resort, arguably the largest resort on the Island. Owned by a well known local family and employer of many of the Time Share touts who infest the town.

There are many other hotels and guesthouse along that road which seem to be in contravention of building restrictions relating to altitude.

Gotcha, the K family strikes again.

Yup. The construction has been going on for nearly 5 years now but still not completed, although they opened the hotel portion some months ago (with direct shuttle bus service to Paradise Beach).

I was in a passenger van last week which I boarded at the main bus station in Nong Kai for trip to Udon Thani airport. Around the city of Udon Thani, I began hearing what sounded like overhead commercial aircraft on landing approach. It was raining, and I finally distinguished the sound. It was the metal on metal sound from worn out brake pads grinding on the brake rotor(s)!

another farce, why do the bib always take the drivers word for it.is there such a thing called an "accident investigation unit" here. ? if so they are kin useless at doing it.(probably not i suspect), cop to driver, "how did that happen ? answer, brakes fail, ok "mate thanks for that" sure it wasn't the wet road,? oh no the road was dry,

It was the sun's reflection off the road. He couldnt see for the glare

Apparently the passengers were going to the Patong Bay Hill Resort.

For those who haven't driven that road, that first part is extremely steep, one of the steepest roads the average motorist will encounter on the Island without heading high up in the mountains. When you first go up there it can be disconcerting.

I'm not surprised a crappy old unserviced tourist bus, driven by a moron, failed to make it.

Patong Police received reports of this the latest tour bus crash at about 8:30am, don't worry

there will be another one shortly. very steep hill,in 4th gear?,accident sure to happen.

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

another farce, why do the bib always take the drivers word for it.is there such a thing called an "accident investigation unit" here. ? if so they are kin useless at doing it.(probably not i suspect), cop to driver, "how did that happen ? answer, brakes fail, ok "mate thanks for that" sure it wasn't the wet road,? oh no the road was dry,

It was the sun's reflection off the road. He couldnt see for the glare

So, his reasoning was to speed up to get out of the glare. biggrin.png

Only the lowest paid, uneducated, inexperienced, and under trained workers, are in charge of so many lives in the tourism industry here, in order to maximize profits.

Money before life, here.

Edited by NamKangMan

For those who haven't driven that road, that first part is extremely steep, one of the steepest roads the average motorist will encounter on the Island without heading high up in the mountains. When you first go up there it can be disconcerting.

I'm not surprised a crappy old unserviced tourist bus, driven by a moron, failed to make it.

While that first part of Hasip Pii road is a little steep, it's not nearly as steep as the section a few hundred meters past that point, some sections of the Patong Hill, or even my soi. Dozens of water trucks are able to make their way up that hill to the reservoir each day, but then they're probably better-maintained, with competent drivers.

I think what did him in was that he most likely started up the hill from a dead stop (turning off of Nanai Rd), then didn't have enough power to continue on climbing the hill.

I think the western section of the Patong Hill up to the temple is much steeper and presuming he came that way from the airport, he wouldn't have had a problem there because he'd have enough momentum built up to get him past the steepest parts before his engine came to a wheezing, grinding halt.

While that first part of Hasip Pii road is a little steep, it's not nearly as steep as the section a few hundred meters past that point, some sections of the Patong Hill, or even my soi. Dozens of water trucks are able to make their way up that hill to the reservoir each day, but then they're probably better-maintained, with competent drivers.

I think what did him in was that he most likely started up the hill from a dead stop (turning off of Nanai Rd), then didn't have enough power to continue on climbing the hill.

I think the western section of the Patong Hill up to the temple is much steeper and presuming he came that way from the airport, he wouldn't have had a problem there because he'd have enough momentum built up to get him past the steepest parts before his engine came to a wheezing, grinding halt.

I agree. Sure it's a steep hill for a long way, but the first few hundred meters should be easy for most well maintained vehicles and competent drivers. Many Water trucks use every day.