BBC say over 1 million sign petition for New Referendum

Caps

Proff Curtiss on the BBC site today ( he is an expert on constitutional matters ) says it is to late to change the decision, the decision stands. Remain people are clutching at straws, the people have spoken and 17 m trumps 2.5 m. It was an open vote, it was up to you to decide, to my mind a lot of the remain voters did not turn up because they did not think they would lose and therein lies the result, a win to the leave side. No good saying it was a protest about something else or you made a mistake can I have another go, thats not the way it works.

As Cameron said In is in and Out is Out that the choice, the EU have accepted the decision, can you imagine how they would treat us if we said we have a had another go and we have decided to stay? All credibility out of the window.

Just accept it, we are now out and we have decide in which direction we go. The ECHR is likely to be repealed first so we can deport who we want and stop all this "it affects my human rights nonsense" whilst talks go on with the EU about how we leave and what the new trading arrangements will be like.

Life as we know it will not change much over the next 2 years whilst we get out of the EU.

We can't leave the EU until a majority in parliament votes to repeal the EU legislation.

Cameron's successor is not guaranteed to be a true Brexiter and will most likely call a General Election to get a personal mandate. Remainers in all parties may well be in a majority in the new parliament. By then, the government will have renegotiated terms in a " reformed" EU and another referendum will be held.

Just like happened in Ireland and France.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops!

It's clear now a huge percentage of Leave voters didn't think it would really win, and didn't really want it to win, if they even understood what they were voting for in the first place.

An astute online comment has some wondering whether Brexit may ever happen

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/26/an-astute-online-comment-has-many-wondering-whether-brexit-may-ever-happen/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_wv-globalization-335am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Rather too late

But is it?

I've read there is no legal requirement for the government to actually implement the decision. Of course they will but that fact implies there is a degree of grey area that MAY possibly rationalize a second vote.

Apparently one option is to call a general election that is then won by a party whose policy is to not leave. The argument would be that that party's mandate supercedes the referendum mandate.

The Tories policy was not to leave or hadn't you noticed?

I must admit that I'm having regrets about my vote last Thursday. I voted leave and woke up on Friday to see the result and I was stunned. Mainly because I was significantly better off financially but also because I couldn't have voted twice to leave or something funky like that.

The majority should have been more than 52%, really.

Rather too late

But is it?

I've read there is no legal requirement for the government to actually implement the decision. Of course they will but that fact implies there is a degree of grey area that MAY possibly rationalize a second vote.

Apparently one option is to call a general election that is then won by a party whose policy is to not leave. The argument would be that that party's mandate supercedes the referendum mandate.

Err.. The Tories' policy was to hold a referendum. The incoming government wouldn't hold another one, they would simply ignore the existing result based on the will of the electorate.

England citizens have made their choice. Scotland tried to shuffle up to the EU and wanted to stay and got slapped back. A referendum was held and the results stand. David Cameron should just stepdown right now and let article 50 begin. No point in waiting, lets get it started now instead of waiting for October. If all information is transparent it should not matter which party or PM is in power.

Err.. The Tories' policy was to hold a referendum. The incoming government wouldn't hold another one, they would simply ignore the existing result based on the will of the electorate.

Stating the obvious or what? Yes, the Tories held a referendum but their mandate was remain. Are you okay?

Stating the obvious or what? Yes, the Tories held a referendum but their mandate was remain. Are you okay?

HaHa i am fine, lets see how it plays out, the referendum is not legal or binding, Cameron has resigned, this gives them 3 months or so to waffle and do nothing, when a new prime minister is elected he will seek a mandate, or another vote

the voters only think they decide. If i'm honest i don't care either way. as someone has already posted, when the Irish said no, they had a total of 3 votes until the government won

The REMAIN losers are getting desperate.

Saw Farrage being grilled by some some woman on tv….she asked him if he could guarantee that the 350 million pounds (grossly inflated) that UK sent to the EU every week would now be used to fund the NHS…he said no he couldn't and that it was a mistake and that advert should not have been used…..she hauled him over coals for that saying that it was one of the reasons LEAVE won.

I saw that advert…it says….WE SEND THE EU 350 MILLION POUNDS EVERY WEEK. LET'S FUND OUR NHS INSTEAD.

I don't see where it promises that they will be diverting 350 million quid to the nhs. It just suggesting we're spending a fortune on EU, shouldn't we fund our NHS.

Totally nonsensensical tactics by the REMAIN losers.

They were elected based on a manifesto that included a referendum, so that is their mandate. Regardless, what has the current government's policy got to do with the hypothesis?

They were elected based on a manifesto that included a referendum, so that is their mandate. Regardless, what has the current government's policy got to do with the hypothesis?

Doesn't matter now, does it? We're leaving the EU and not before time.

Saw Farrage being grilled by some some woman on tv….she asked him if he could guarantee that the 350 million pounds (grossly inflated) that UK sent to the EU every week would now be used to fund the NHS…he said no he couldn't and that it was a mistake and that advert should not have been used…..she hauled him over coals for that saying that it was one of the reasons LEAVE won.

I saw that advert…it says….WE SEND THE EU 350 MILLION POUNDS EVERY WEEK. LET'S FUND OUR NHS INSTEAD.

I don't see where it promises that they will be diverting 350 million quid to the nhs. It just suggesting we're spending a fortune on EU, shouldn't we fund our NHS.

You apparently didn't see THIS ad. See the ad in the video. Nice try ... BUSTED.

Doesn't matter now, does it? We're leaving the EU and not before time.

Then why did you respond to my comment in the first place?

He lied about the figure.

The figure is about half of that, or 188 Million

Funny how Cameron…the guy who started this entire mess ..is allowed to resign and take no responsibility for his actions.

Exactly, one of his pre referendum sound bites was Britons aren't quitters, but his first action on losing was to quit. He started this process he should finish it.

I don't see where it promises that they will be diverting 350 million quid to the nhs.

It's ironic how UKIP voters are constantly whining about immigrants not learn proper English.

Let me spell it out for you...

Before the Referendum:

"WE SEND THE EU 350 MILLION POUNDS EVERY WEEK. LET'S FUND OUR NHS INSTEAD."

10 minutes After the referendum result was announced:

WE SEND THE EU 350 MILLION POUNDS EVERY WEEK. LET'S NOT FUND OUR NHS INSTEAD.

Archived