Shear Defiance: Thai Students Rebel Against Mandatory Haircuts

rooster59

I think this is a positive trend. It is about the students gaining some sort of identity, and self esteem. From what I hear, the amount of conformity required, and expected here is extreme. And the students are learning very little anyway, as the educational system is broken beyond repair. So, why not a little push back, against authoritarian teachers, who barely know their own curriculum, and a system that is dysfunctional? Is there any real harm in that?

Besides, most Thai people live within very, very small boxes. Perhaps this will enlarge their horizons, and show them what is possible, with the exertion of free will and passion.

Either is unlikely in the Thai education system, it's intended. Haircuts will not do anything at all except perhaps be the thin end of the wedge.

Identity? Nope. Identity as a student comes partially from having a student haircut. A haircut is an arbitrary and ever-changing fashion-based facet of 'identity' anyway. Self-esteem? You're kidding right? Thais already have self-esteem beyond reason, hence the 'face' problem when it collapses.

W

I could not possibly disagree with you, more adamantly with regard to what you said about Thai self esteem. I believe that the thin skin, and the obsession with face, is at least partially the result of a lack of self esteem. If one feels comfortable with one's self, what others think of you becomes far less important. When one is unsure about one's self, the views of others become paramount. Who on earth cares what others think? What does it matter one iota? Those of us who have self esteem, and love of self, care not one bit what others think of us.

I know we could go into detail about face being cultural, etc. But, the reality is, that face is the greatest form of cowardice a human being can engage in. It is an absolute lack of introspection, self awareness, spiritual awakening, self knowledge, and self esteem.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

schools should just make strong suggestions to parents if they want this

in reality cutting a childs hair against their will is theft and assualt

but there is nothing wrong with schools advising parents, i know a school can set its own standards if it chooses,

but they should never cut a childs hair if the child says no (even if parents say yes)

another thing never taken into account is the trauma

even women get traumatised when they cut a good few inches off their own hair by their own choice,

undecided for weeks later if they made the correct decision, or some then try to fix what they have done,

while others just get depressed with their new look as they miss their old hair

schools should just make strong suggestions to parents if they want this

in reality cutting a childs hair against their will is theft and assualt

but there is nothing wrong with schools advising parents, i know a school can set its own standards if it chooses,

but they should never cut a childs hair if the child says no (even if parents say yes)

another thing never taken into account is the trauma

even women get traumatised when they cut a good few inches off their own hair by their own choice,

undecided for weeks later if they made the correct decision, or some then try to fix what they have done,

while others just get depressed with their new look as they miss their old hair

A rule is a rule, if the parents cannot take the responsibility to get the kid a hair cut before School starts then the kid should expect that the rules will be enforced.

If the kid or the Parent has problems with it then simply send them to a different school. It's their choice.

So what has become of the rule set by the minister of education in 2013 that the short haircut isn't mandatory anymore?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610792-thai-ministry-cuts-5cm-rule-on-schoolboys-hair-length/

Oh I forgot, in Thailand everyone makes up their own rules as they go, as long as they don't have to follow rules set by the government.

How about being able to look pleasant on a passport or ID photo of any kind....Land of Smiles and all that.....ever see a nice happy persons picture on anything official...a nation of mug shots...

So what has become of the rule set by the minister of education in 2013 that the short haircut isn't mandatory anymore?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610792-thai-ministry-cuts-5cm-rule-on-schoolboys-hair-length/

Oh I forgot, in Thailand everyone makes up their own rules as they go, as long as they don't have to follow rules set by the government.

it isn't "mandatory" but individual schools can have their own rules.. my school relaxed the rules and allowed the students more flexibility.. start of last semester some of the hairstyles were daft.. now the school has gone back to the old rules...

As described in the headline this is rebellious behaviour. The PM should invoke Article 44 and bring these unruly students into line. They are disrupting the harmony and happiness of the country.

North Korea has a list of approved hairstyles. Maybe the schools could give them choices like short or shorter. Then it would be the students deciding for themselves.

Singapore had the same rules a few years back. Uni students from that country studying overseas looked quite neat with normal hair styles, but as soon as they were headed home, they'd go to a local barber, rather than risk Singapore Immigration, whose skills were less than professional.

No one was allowed long hair at any time.

When you don't have long trousers and a nice shirt on, the 'civil servants' here will even refuse to deliver you your driving licence, here..

This is a third world country, don't forget, appearance does matter, a lot, here, to differenciate oneself from the 'vulgum pecus', everyone 'working'(?!) for the state, even teachers, have a uniform, that considering, what's the hassle about a haircut, the 'newbies' wanting to have a 'flashy' look? You don't want the haircut, no prob, your choice, but then you don't get in (or can't stay), simple.

Am I a uniform fan, by no means, no, but keep in mind that many a student ('s family) can't afford fashion fantasies, no money for it, and, in that sense, uniforms and standard haircuts, do, make sense, IMO, 'special' students can always have a 3Baht chain around their neck to show off after all....

P.S.: it would IMO be a lot more meaninfull when all citizens would, care a bit about, and, pay any attention, to the rules and laws of the land, but, hey, TiT...

They should swap the words Resistance and Organization so the the acronym would be SHORT.

Or Student Hairdo Intafada Thailand.

Has a ring to it.

W

It no doubt has a stupid 'ring to it', silly bear cub, as it is all about Palestinian civilians throwing stones at Israeli armed forces illegally occupying their homeland, and, by the way, it's written 'Intifada'...!

Has anyone studied Asian culture? Is anyone cognizant of the dress code for junior and high school students in Japan and China? People criticize Thai education. What are the educational goals in Asian countries? To create free-thinking, independent and individualistic graduates or is it maybe something else?

Raised in a conservative country where haircuts were not so boot camp extreme, but still needed to clear the collar.

It was the 70s we hated it.

And it had no bearing on anything in later life.

Other than that 'authority' is mindless without someone keeping the bastards honest by asking the perfectly reasonable question... Why?

Hah! we had a school barber every tuesday and a school marshal who would wander the yards and rooms to give you the tap to go get a cut.

We had our hair tucked behind our ears and would often spend lunch time in classrooms that the homeroom teacher would allow.

Had some bearing, for periods in my 30s and 40s would let my hair grow out, a few times to well on my shoulders and nearing 2 yrs

without a cut.

This could be construed in a proper court of justice and in a democracy as an assault on the student by the teacher , no teacher is allowed to touch a student , no student is allowed to touch a teacher , it is also the teacher's responsibility to ensure the student is properly protected , and is also responsible for their well being , that doesn't mean cutting a students hair without that students permission or if a minor the parents permission.................................coffee1.gif .

Christ almighty half these kids should be caned. Vile little monsters.

I think this is a positive trend. It is about the students gaining some sort of identity, and self esteem. From what I hear, the amount of conformity required, and expected here is extreme. And the students are learning very little anyway, as the educational system is broken beyond repair. So, why not a little push back, against authoritarian teachers, who barely know their own curriculum, and a system that is dysfunctional? Is there any real harm in that?

Besides, most Thai people live within very, very small boxes. Perhaps this will enlarge their horizons, and show them what is possible, with the exertion of free will and passion.

Either is unlikely in the Thai education system, it's intended. Haircuts will not do anything at all except perhaps be the thin end of the wedge.

Identity? Nope. Identity as a student comes partially from having a student haircut. A haircut is an arbitrary and ever-changing fashion-based facet of 'identity' anyway. Self-esteem? You're kidding right? Thais already have self-esteem beyond reason, hence the 'face' problem when it collapses.

W

I could not possibly disagree with you, more adamantly with regard to what you said about Thai self esteem. I believe that the thin skin, and the obsession with face, is at least partially the result of a lack of self esteem. If one feels comfortable with one's self, what others think of you becomes far less important. When one is unsure about one's self, the views of others become paramount. Who on earth cares what others think? What does it matter one iota? Those of us who have self esteem, and love of self, care not one bit what others think of us.

I know we could go into detail about face being cultural, etc. But, the reality is, that face is the greatest form of cowardice a human being can engage in. It is an absolute lack of introspection, self awareness, spiritual awakening, self knowledge, and self esteem.

I could not agree more. Thank you for your post. Hope you express this often.

Add rationalization/ denial and a concise picture appears of the population at large.

Well from what I've observed Thailand's "rules" are not really rules rules. Just kinda like a suggestion or a reason to exchange brown envelopes. Otherwise... "rules" are not even worth mentioning in Thailand - the land of the FREE; no rules apply.

Remember Thailand is behind the West and still developing.

When I came here there was over 60% poverty. There has been huge success in 30 years - all you Thai bashers, give her a break.

Edited by Johnniey

This could be construed in a proper court of justice and in a democracy as an assault on the student by the teacher , no teacher is allowed to touch a student , no student is allowed to touch a teacher , it is also the teacher's responsibility to ensure the student is properly protected , and is also responsible for their well being , that doesn't mean cutting a students hair without that students permission or if a minor the parents permission.................................coffee1.gif .

You forgot 'rights" in this sort of rant you have to mention "rights" either "sacred" or "inalienable human". And what about the 2nd amendment, should they be allowed to carry weapons to school?

They practice that at school already: The right to bare arms.

Another control method by elites, boldly challenged by the new generation. Good on the youngsters! The old farts running the country need to be dragged into the modern era.

Edited by jerojero

The haircuts are not the major problem but why do the powers to be want everyone to look the same and be the same. Thailand really needs individulism and people acting differently from each other. At the moment all we have is clones. People need to grow and develop in their own ways but this being stifled in Thailand will prevent new ideas being formed and lead to Thailand continuing the same as always, and not advancing. With this attitude, Thailand will always be a third world country!

One could fairly easily make an argument, that Thailand is one of the least progressive nations on earth. Easily. Most Thais are taught to live inside a very, very small box, and individuality, creative thought, original ideas, and bucking the trend or norm in any way, is discouraged. What will people say? What will they think? Maybe you will look bad. All about face, and the enormous limitations imposed upon an individual, by the very limiting ideas of how one is perceived by others. On a certain level, I can understand why one might be concerned about what your close friends and family think of you. But, total strangers? They matter less than a knat. There is absolutely no significance to the thoughts of strangers, in the mind of a confident, self assured person, with high self esteem, and a sense of self.

W

Absolute twaddle!

Thai people, in general, are far more self-aware, spiritually awake and introspective than the average Brit or Yank.

Face is something that you obviously don't understand.

The haircuts are not the major problem but why do the powers to be want everyone to look the same and be the same. Thailand really needs individulism and people acting differently from each other. At the moment all we have is clones. People need to grow and develop in their own ways but this being stifled in Thailand will prevent new ideas being formed and lead to Thailand continuing the same as always, and not advancing. With this attitude, Thailand will always be a third world country!

One could fairly easily make an argument, that Thailand is one of the least progressive nations on earth. Easily. Most Thais are taught to live inside a very, very small box, and individuality, creative thought, original ideas, and bucking the trend or norm in any way, is discouraged. What will people say? What will they think? Maybe you will look bad. All about face, and the enormous limitations imposed upon an individual, by the very limiting ideas of how one is perceived by others. On a certain level, I can understand why one might be concerned about what your close friends and family think of you. But, total strangers? They matter less than a knat. There is absolutely no significance to the thoughts of strangers, in the mind of a confident, self assured person, with high self esteem, and a sense of self.

The Thai bashers are out in force again. As you're talking about psychological issues, I suggest you look within yourself at the need to constantly put down one of the success stories in development from a 3ed world country to what it is today instead of looking at the positives. Ever heard of self-righteous judgment and why people do it?

You obviously don't realize that when I moved to work in Thailand in 1985 it was a country with nearly 70% poverty. 30 years late it has a huge $400 billion economy with around 10% poverty. I've witnessed this amazing turnaround but one negative of globalization is people like you coming here easily and spouting you racial hatred and criticizing nearly everything about the country. I generally hate saying this but why don't you just go home?

W

Absolute twaddle!

Thai people, in general, are far more self-aware, spiritually awake and introspective than the average Brit or Yank.

That is really cute. Funny. Amusing. And something to ponder. I do believe that Thais have a level of awareness that many cultures do not possess. They are highly intuitive, and can be very sensitive. But, self aware? I do not think so. I have not seen any real examples of this. The inability to look within for the source of any problem, the inability to communicate on a very personal level, the inability to introspect, and really analyze one's self, is something I have seen in hundreds of Thais over the years. Perhaps you have an exceptional spouse, or know some amazing, and exceptional Thai people. But, I have met few who possess these abilities or traits. And though I may not have a deep cultural and scientific understanding of the practice of face, I do consider it to be a form of cowardice, and the polar opposite of self awareness, on so many levels.

As far as being spiritually awake, that is another debate entirely. I am not going to engage in the rather sensitive topic of Buddhism, and the way it is practiced today. But, I will say, from my point of view, few understand the deeper facets of self contemplation, and awareness of self that the Buddha taught, and encouraged.

I suppose it might have alot to do with which Yanks and which Brits you associated with back home. Personally, I had the honor of befriending many spiritual people, in the states, who spent hours per day on prayer, meditation, contemplation, and spiritual study, and their lives, and the way they conducted themselves reflected that. Honestly, integrity, honor, pride in craftsmanship, outstanding customer service, and doing a job well, for the sake of knowing it was done properly, each and every time, is a part of the way they live. To me, that is real spirituality. Not the wearing of an amulet. Or the number of times one visits a temple, nor the size of the donation.

It is the way one lives one's life, on a daily basis. That is all that is important, from my point of view. What good is a philosophy or religion, if it has no impact on your daily life, or the way you conduct yourself with others?

Edited by spidermike007

Absolute twaddle!

I suppose it might have alot to do with which Yanks and which Brits you associated with back home. Personally, I had the honor of befriending many spiritual people, in the states, who spent hours per day on prayer, meditation, contemplation, and spiritual study, and their lives, and the way they conducted themselves reflected that. Honestly, integrity, honor, pride in craftsmanship, outstanding customer service, and doing a job well, for the pride of knowing it was done properly, each and every time, is a part of the way they live. To me, that is real spirituality. Not the wearing of an amulet. Or the number of times one visits a temple, nor the size of the donation.

Could that say something about the Thai people you associate with?

The Thai bashers are out in force again. As you're talking about psychological issues, I suggest you look within yourself at the need to constantly put down one of the success stories in development from a 3ed world country to what it is today instead of looking at the positives. Ever heard of self-righteous judgment and why people do it?

You obviously don't realize that when I moved to work in Thailand in 1985 it was a country with nearly 70% poverty. 30 years late it has a huge $400 billion economy with around 10% poverty. I've witnessed this amazing turnaround but one negative of globalization is people like you coming here easily and spouting you racial hatred and criticizing nearly everything about the country. I generally hate saying this but why don't you just go home?

Excellent post and every Thai-basher should note it. Sadly, many of them have hooked up with some woman that a Thai(of equal financial standing) never would have. After a few years, they notice their mistake but it's too late, they've invested most of their life-savings into a pck-up truck and house in the middle of nowhere! They don't have the balls to admit their mistake and take it out on Thais as a whole.

Jut out of interest spidermike, are you married and where do you live?

Funny man you are. Why don't you go home? Is it not possible for you to come up with anything more creative than that? Where I come from, the very basis of society is founded upon the ability to analyze it, and criticize it. It does not mean I do not love Thailand. I have posted hundreds of posts about the wonders of the Thai people and it's culture. I love the Thai people. But, having said that, I do see limitations within the culture, the political establishment, and the society. Yes, Thailand is a success story. But, in the ten plus years I have lived here, the economy has gone from the 22nd largest in the world, to the 29th largest, and continues to drop. The economy is stagnating, and the policies are not helping. Do you not think there are reasons for that? Do you not think they are worthy of discussion? And where is the connection between the economy, and the mindset of the people? I just do not see a link. Are you saying that because the economy has grown so much, that Thai people are progressive? Do you understand the meaning of the word?

Thailand’s real gross domestic product (GDP) growth last year, at 0.7%, was the lowest rate among ASEAN countries. The downtrend looks set to continue this year. Exports fell by 4.9% during the first half of the year and manufacturing fell 0.7% in the second quarter. Looking ahead, the picture is even gloomier.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/can-thailand-regain-its-economic-mojo/

So, in your opinion the discussion of face, and the impact it has on the daily life here is not worthy of discussion, but rather absolute censorship? And because I discuss it, I should leave my life and family here, and go home to my country?

Why such thin skin? Discussion is the very heart of a progressive and robust society, is it not? Spouting racial hatred? Wow. I do not consider myself a racist. I have never been called that before. I adore my Thai wife, her entire family, and have many Thai friends who are wonderful people. I love most Thai people. Racist? One must be very, very careful leveling such hateful words, at a complete stranger you know nothing about. To come to a conclusion like this, based on a one paragraph post, is an extraordinarily narrow expression of your vision.

Edited by spidermike007

it isn't "mandatory" but individual schools can have their own rules.. my school relaxed the rules and allowed the students more flexibility.. start of last semester some of the hairstyles were daft.. now the school has gone back to the old rules...

Another example that a school board in Thailand is incapable of handling handle the most simple situation