Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run

rooster59

Attempts to disenfranchise voters rately end well

It would be a larger majority for brexit

I think it would be the opposite.

The issue is such an big caliber and many people were not awake once they were voting or decided not to bother to vote. It's quite clear that now the eyes are open and people realise the consequences of the exit.

If the second vote still says exit, then by all means exit. EU is ready for it and wish to get the exit over with as soon as possible. EU will loose England and Wales from the community, but will gain some businesses and probably better decision making process.

Not at all. Your opinion as a remainer is that brexiters made decisions without thinking.

That's elitism and bigotry.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Remain, I also accept the result.

But giving the closeness of the result I feel there may be a case for a re run ...but only with renegotiation's that include major reform of the EU, (keep the good things and throw out the bad).

There has to be something new on the table, I think it should require a clear majority of 66.7% votes to overturn this referendum, to achieve that Europe is going to have to do some bending...

Edited by Basil B

The issue is such an big caliber and many people were not awake once they were voting or decided not to bother to vote. It's quite clear that now the eyes are open and people realise the consequences of the exit.

If the second vote still says exit, then by all means exit. EU is ready for it and wish to get the exit over with as soon as possible. EU will loose England and Wales from the community, but will gain some businesses and probably better decision making process.

Elites will want more votes and more votes maybe 2 a year until they get Remain as the winner.

What Elites I call them cry babies

A vote is a vote. If you lose, you lose. 16m voted against who are not happy, 17.5m voted for who are. That is what a vote is. Win or lose you have to get on with it. In football if you lose do you vote for a rematch? In a national election, if you lose do we vote again? NO - IT IS PART OF THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS - CALLED DEMOCRACY. We vote for who we want. Try voting in China!! Or Thailand, at the moment. We have always been free to make our choice. DONT BE BAD LOSERS, PUT YOUR ENERGY TO MAKING THE CHOICE OF THE MAJORITY WORK. Use your energy in the right way and make Britain great again - and stop moaning.

I doubt there was a far flung corner of the world that wasn't aware of the Brexit vote. How could anyone in the UK have escaped the publicity, debates and opinion poles.

Democracy often wins by margins just over 50%, that's the way it works. If 48% of the population signs the silly petition it still won't change the fact that they lost.

The Telegraph, June 25th:

"Is the referendum legally binding?

In theory, the Prime Minister could ignore the referendum result, put the question to a parliamentary debate and gamble on the majority of MPs voting to remain.

This is because parliament is sovereign and referendums are generally not binding in the UK.

Had the 2011 referendum on changing the electoral system to alternative vote been successful, the Government would have been obliged to change the law. However, no such provision was contained within the EU referendum legislation."

Unlike Switzerland, referendums in Britain are merely opinion polls.

"Interested parties" (the people who actually hold power) can do whatever they choose with the results.

This is exactly right and needs to be kept in mind. Labour MP Stephen Kinnock, son of EU millionaires Neil and Glenys Kinnock and husband of former Danish Social Democrat Prime Minister Thorning-Schmidt, has already indicated this as a strategy to be adopted.

Given that the referendum is not legally binding and over 70% of the MPs are in favour of remaining in the EU, parliament can simply vote down all attempts to pass the necessary legislation to pull Britain out. Given the contempt with which the political class regard ordinary people ('the sheeple') in the UK it would not be a great surprise if they did so.

It has been said that this would lead to a constitutional crisis, but given that the UK has no written constitution this is unlikely to trouble the 'remain' crowd much.

Any constitutional hoo-haa can be dismissed as 'new precedent'.

Edited by DoctorB

The petition has 2,700,000 signatures and the number is increasing.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

This would be the face saving way for Britain to get out of this mess. First vote was the angry, drunken vote. Now, when even non-politically tuned Brits are realising what the brexit really means, its time to have second, the sober vote.

http://skepticalphilosopher.blogspot.ca/2009/09/persian-strategy-deliberating-while.html

What a load of crap. Do we now have another petition to demand that the petition to have a re-petition is not allowed. As someone has said , if England looses in their next round of the European cup, will there be a petition to have a replay, because enough supporters did'nt like the result. <deleted> ! The EU vote has been and gone, the 'stay' section of the population LOST ! end of story !

Shabby and unacceptable. Not accepting the results of a vote is characteristic of third-world countries.

Shades of Thailand. Perhaps there will be a military coup in London next. Better send Prayuth and Suthep over to help out

Not at all. Your opinion as a remainer is that brexiters made decisions without thinking.

That's elitism and bigotry.

Plus desperately wishful dreaming .

Just out of curiosity, how many do overs do you get before it goes into the rock-paper-scissors round?

As many as they need to get the right result.

Nigel Farage agrees with this:

Remember that time Nigel Farage said 52-48 votes should lead to second referendum?

CYMI – last month he announced that he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin

Calling a small defeat for his leave camp ‘unfinished business’, he predicted a second referendum on Europe.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/remember-that-time-nigel-farage-said-52-48-votes-should-lead-to-second-referendum-5963900/#ixzz4CfTwfbNX

The Telegraph, June 25th:

"Is the referendum legally binding?

In theory, the Prime Minister could ignore the referendum result, put the question to a parliamentary debate and gamble on the majority of MPs voting to remain.

This is because parliament is sovereign and referendums are generally not binding in the UK.

Had the 2011 referendum on changing the electoral system to alternative vote been successful, the Government would have been obliged to change the law. However, no such provision was contained within the EU referendum legislation."

Unlike Switzerland, referendums in Britain are merely opinion polls.

"Interested parties" (the people who actually hold power) can do whatever they choose with the results.

That is parliamentary democracy.

The people vote their parties and politicians.

The selected representatives form the Parliament.

In Parliament majorities, alliances, compromises and settlements of interests are formed.

The UK has no plebiscite (referendum) democracy.

For example, it comes out at a referendum, that a simple majority is for the decommissioning of all nuclear power plants, that does not mean that that is also carried out immediately.

This type of direct democracy has proven to be problematic for the leadership of a country.

Although I would like to see more referendums in major issues.

The godlike arrogance of many politicians is repulsive.

In the next few days it will show whether there is ever a majority in UK parliament for an EU-Exit.

Only this parliamentary vote is binding and not what is shouted in the streets.

Edited by tomacht8

Great news. Another nail in the coffin of unrestrained social engineering. An out of control pack of dictators taking over Europe to no ones benefit but their own. Snouts in the trough elites. Nigel Farage nailed from the beginning as a failure. Can't wait to see the joint crumble when the rest of Europe joins the exodus. Tip of the week? Buy stocks.

If it was purely all about trading and nothing else, this would never have happened. But the New World Order became too cocky and then started wanting to control other countries internal political and cultural affairs. Unfortunately for them , they though that they were "home and hosed" and bit off more than they could chew. Tell Angela that Hitler is really pissed off with her handling of the affair, this is not how he planned it all those years ago. Have another Brandy Winnie !

There were certain conditions agreed upon when the referendum was first proposed.

The first was that, whatever the result, at least 60 percent of the voters must approve that result.

The actual figure was 62 percent of the voters for a BREXIT.

The second condition was that the result, whatever it was, must have a voter turnout of 70 percent of the voting population.

Failure to meet either one of these conditions would have required a new vote

Since both these conditions were met there is by the results of the vote, there is no reason the vote should be disallowed as the vote meets the previously agreed conditions.

F__K a bunch of elite wealthy crooks from London.....who have been stealing from the EU for over 40 years.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I voted Remain, I also accept the result.

But giving the closeness of the result I feel there may be a case for a re run ...but only with renegotiation's that include major reform of the EU, (keep the good things and throw out the bad).

There has to be something new on the table, I think it should require a clear majority of 66.7% votes to overturn this referendum, to achieve that Europe is going to have to do some bending...

Well if you take the Scottish and Northern Irish votes away, as they are after referendums themselves you would get that.

You say you respect the result but due to the closeness you feel another one should happen. That is contradiction in its self. Over a Million more people said leave. Accept the decision, people should be mature and not childish and move on.

I am against the Brexit (not a Brit myself) But it seems the Brexit won fair and square. It would be unfair IMHO to do a re vote. I am sure most people who are pro Brexit will feel the same.

Won fare and sqare...yes less than 2%

thanks to the following?

http://boingboing.net/2016/06/24/the-morning-after-the-brexit-v.html

Edited by Tchooptip

Just out of curiosity, how many do overs do you get before it goes into the rock-paper-scissors round?

As many as they need to get the right result.

Nigel Farage agrees with this:

Remember that time Nigel Farage said 52-48 votes should lead to second referendum?

CYMI – last month he announced that he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin

Calling a small defeat for his leave camp ‘unfinished business’, he predicted a second referendum on Europe.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/remember-that-time-nigel-farage-said-52-48-votes-should-lead-to-second-referendum-5963900/#ixzz4CfTwfbNX

Grow up please and move on with the fact the remain lost. I could say fair and square but with the based TV and media coverage it wasn't anywhere near. But the one fact is you were defeated so be mature and even dignified in defeat. The majority of people wanted to leave and they have shown that.

Grow up please and move on with the fact the remain lost. I could say fair and square but with the based TV and media coverage it wasn't anywhere near. But the one fact is you were defeated so be mature and even dignified in defeat. The majority of people wanted to leave and they have shown that.

52%- 48% hardly screams out a mandate from the people. Given that the referendum isn't binding, I wouldn't be surprised to see the politicians (even responsible minded politicians if they exist) find a reason and a means to set aside the results. The difference between having 48% of the people pissed off and 52% of the people pissed off at them isn't really significant in the historical scheme of things. An unintended collapse of the economy would be significant in the historical scheme. They'll put some flowery language on it, though.

Frankly, given the immense consequences- both known and unintended, I'm surprised they didn't require a 2/3 majority to make such an historic change.

Edited by impulse

Re-vote.

Critical separation votes such as this should have required a 10% majority margin to pass lest many in the 'win' camp wake up the next day similar to the morning after being rather reckless at a heady party and realise 'oh sh|te, what have I done'....(as many are doing now).

This was a referendum 'primarily' based on fear of immigrants if we're being honest (particularly Muslims). Certainly there needs to be more stringent rules and checks on immigration, this we can agree. But to essentially vote to diminish and weaken the UK economy as a reaction to primarily immigration fear is completely reckless (not to mention the prompting of a potential domino effect of similar exits).

In the bigger picture especially for those voting primarily based on Muslim immigrant fears, sadly and ironically the real 'winners' here are ISIS and their ilk. They will be well pleased to see their strategy to scare ageing xenophobes and reactionary air-heads into further dividing our societies and fracturing of our economic unions from within is becoming a resounding success... Exactly what they want.

As an added 'bonus' they've also managed to deny the next generation of younger voters (who voted to remain) any hope of overcoming their elders frightened and angry xenophobic prison for years to come. Thus 'gifting' the youth a backwards spiral to an isolated, entrenched, weakened and fearful society. Again, exactly what ISIS and their ilk want.

It's also sadly ironic that some of our own leaders (across the pond as well) are actually assisting ISIS by stoking division within, thus gifting them their strategy of dividing peoples and weakening western societies (with promises of many more fractures, divisions and weakening to follow).

Thus, the ramifications facing all of us are so critical there absolutely needs to be a re-vote, this time with the benefit of sober reflection. it is in the best interest of both the UK and EU to re-engage and quickly. Also, the UK has not left the EU as yet, nor has article 50 yet been invoked. And even Nigel agreed just last month:

------------

"Nigel Farage said 52-48 votes should lead to second referendum"

Last month he announced that he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/remember-that-time-nigel-farage-said-52-48-votes-should-lead-to-second-referendum-5963900/

------------

Quiet diplomatic efforts should be undertaken with the EU now in preparation. Then in Oct (preferably sooner) something like this should be added to the ballot:

"Do you now wish to continue in the EU?" YES/NO

The ayes will likely have it and by a large margin upon sober reflection. Unfortunately angry xenophobes will continue to be so regardless, even here (ironically banging away on their keyboards about how inferior and xenophobic their adopted homeland and people's are;)

52 to 48 does look close, but if you look at it by regions then it looks very different. Only really London had a big number for remain. The populations of Scotland and Northern Ireland are relatively small. So I guess London has benefited to most from EU membership. Democracy sucks ! But it's what people in Britain fought for for hundreds of years, so please respect that and accept the result. Otherwise move to live in the EU, get a new passport. Goodbye !

What country expect a dictatorship will have a re-vote it seems their is democracy in the UK

The UN should take action at once and other countries should boycott the UK because it a Dictatorship by the Elite

I say all of us should boycott the UK

The Elites better listen to the Peoples Votes

Or the People will turn to the Streets and the Elites will run to the United States

That includes little harry and the rest of the Royals

Did you ingest something really powerful last night?

52 to 48 does look close, but if you look at it by regions then it looks very different. Only really London had a big number for remain.

so please respect that and accept the result. Otherwise move to live in the EU, get a new passport. Goodbye !

London and the young, below 44 years old apparently...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/24/news/millenials-eu-referendum-brexit/index.html

Would you have them move to the continent, too? Because if they do, you'll have a lot of pensioners with very few payees. So be careful what you ask for. You only think you've made it to the end goal, and now you can coast on other peoples' efforts.

Edit: Just to be clear, by "you", I don't mean eliotness personally. I refer to old farts (myself included) as opposed to young folks who are looking at a very different and scarier future than I was at their age.

A Euro country could do worse than to invite Blighty's best and brightest as guest workers with a path to full Euro citizenship, even if it's just to rub the UK's nose in it. Of course, the UK could replace them with special "guest workers", but then- wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the Brexit?

Edited by impulse

52 to 48 does look close, but if you look at it by regions then it looks very different. Only really London had a big number for remain.

so please respect that and accept the result. Otherwise move to live in the EU, get a new passport. Goodbye !

London and the young, below 44 years old apparently...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/24/news/millenials-eu-referendum-brexit/index.html

Would you have them move to the continent, too? Because if they do, you'll have a lot of pensioners with very few payees. So be careful what you ask for. You only think you've made it to the end goal, and now you can coast on other peoples' efforts.

I have made it to the end goal and don't need other people's efforts it's called planing and preparation. So yes let them move abroad they will return when it's proved the UK will be a major player in the world's economy after exit from the EU Edited by jeab1980

52%- 48% hardly screams out a mandate from the people. Given that the referendum isn't binding, I wouldn't be surprised to see the politicians (even responsible minded politicians if they exist) find a reason and a means to set aside the results. The difference between having 48% of the people pissed off and 52% of the people pissed off at them isn't really significant in the historical scheme of things. An unintended collapse of the economy would be significant in the historical scheme. They'll put some flowery language on it, though.

Frankly, given the immense consequences- both known and unintended, I'm surprised they didn't require a 2/3 majority to make such an historic change.

A majority is a majority, whether it is 1.3 million, 1300, 130 or 13. More people voted to leave than voted to remain. I understand that you don't like it, but there it is.

Incidentally, I wander how many of those petitioning for a re-vote actually bothered to vote in the referendum? Just a thought.

Edited for mong spelling

Edited by JAG