Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run

rooster59

Scotland does not have a veto, just a veto over changing Scottish regulations with respect to the EU.

The only valid way out is if they could force an election and a pro-EU party campaigned on the a primary platform of UK in the EU - then they would have a mandate to ignore the referendum results. Of course article 50 should have already been executed which would have made it difficult, but it hasn't for whatever reasons - even some on here that seemed to be for UK out seem to be in no rush to invoke article 50... which to me sounds like they just wanted to cry wolf.

While some people might wish to see irreversible knee-jerk reactions, I think it's good to remind that we are Europeans. We are not

Russians, nor Americans. We have our own way to think before we act. We might have big fights with each other, but it's generally just a way to find the best possible compromise for all of us. After a good fight we can have a beer or glass of wine and share good stories with each other.

At the moment, pretty much nobody wishes UK to leave the union. Cameron did a right thing by resigning, it gave us all a bit of time for us to; fight, breath and especially to think before we know what we are going to do. So we will have a bit of fight, but at the end of the day we'll most likely find a solution to have a beer together once again.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotland does not have a veto, just a veto over changing Scottish regulations with respect to the EU.

The only valid way out is if they could force an election and a pro-EU party campaigned on the a primary platform of UK in the EU - then they would have a mandate to ignore the referendum results. Of course article 50 should have already been executed which would have made it difficult, but it hasn't for whatever reasons - even some on here that seemed to be for UK out seem to be in no rush to invoke article 50... which to me sounds like they just wanted to cry wolf.

While some people might wish to see irreversible knee-jerk reactions, I think it's good to remind that we are Europeans. We are not

Russians, nor Americans. We have our own way to think before we act. We might have big fights with each other, but it's generally just a way to find the best possible compromise for all of us. After a good fight we can have a beer or glass of wine and share good stories with each other.

At the moment, pretty much nobody wishes UK to leave the union. Cameron did a right thing by resigning, it gave us all a bit of time for us to; fight, breath and especially to think before we know what we are going to do. So we will have a bit of fight, but at the end of the day we'll most likely find a solution to have a beer together once again.

It is a not a knee jerk reaction to invoke article 50.

The question is, is the referendum valid and is it going to be respected? If Yes - then invoke article 50 .... and start organizing how it is going to be handled.

The only reason not to invoke article 50 is if you want to figure out how to tell the population... you know the referendum... well we were just kidding... wasn't that funny.

The most damaging thing to do to the economy is to do nothing -- pretty well every company has to make plans that take into account whether they are in the EU or out... By waffling and playing games you are doing more damage to both the UK and EU economies.

Personally I'd keep referendums to less complex matters (should we paint 10 Downingstreet pink or white?). Very complex or significant items are best left for either general elections or requiring 2/3 of the vote to pass. There is a reason that for instance a constitution generally cannot be easily changed (the Dutch require a 2/3 majority vote in parlaiment, general elections and a 2/3 majority once again). If the people really want change in large numbers and it is not simply the opinion of the day, you can have your change.

But since the Brits agreed on a referendum under the condition that the majority vote would have his way, the vote can only be respected. I don't like it but if people now moan that this referendum does not represent the people, perhaps more (young) people should have bothered to show up. A 33% turn up (so few youth turned up) on such an important topic. I guess they figured Remain would win anyway and taking some time to cast a vote was not worth it?

Leave won. It sucks but all Britons knew what could happen. If for some reason a majority of the people now have a severe headache or regret... Well try to bring parlaiment to it's knees and have a general election before the UK is out...

On general elections, IMHO the UK (and US) system is not fair. The popular vote should count rather then the winner takes all per district. So if 30% of the people vote Labour/Torry/UKIP then that party should get 30% of the seats. Perhaps have a referendum on that??

The question is, is the referendum valid and is it going to be respected? If Yes - then invoke article 50 .... and start organizing how it is going to be handled.

The only reason not to invoke article 50 is if you want to figure out how to tell the population... you know the referendum... well we were just kidding... wasn't that funny.

The most damaging thing to do to the economy is to do nothing -- pretty well every company has to make plans that take into account whether they are in the EU or out... By waffling and playing games you are doing more damage to both the UK and EU economies.

The benefit of Europe being the 'Old continent' is that EU don't really have to listen too much the pressure what the social media tries to put on us. We can and should have the strength of finding the best possible solution for our own community, in our own time.

There are forces, who would love to see the EU become weaker. UK exit from the EU would make both parties a bit weaker. We'll see if that will ever happen.

The following week will tell us all much more. Will the UK leave the EU or not. I'm not at all sure of it will happen.

The benefit of Europe being the 'Old continent' is that EU don't really have to listen too much the pressure what the social media tries to put on us. We can and should have the strength of finding the best possible solution for our own community, in our own time.

There are forces, who would love to see the EU become weaker. UK exit from the EU would make both parties a bit weaker. We'll see if that will ever happen.

The following week will tell us all much more. Will the UK leave the EU or not. I'm not at all sure of it will happen.

The referendum was "Leave" or "Remain".... very simple question really. If you wanted a solution other than that the referendum should have asked a different question. So you are now telling us (can't remember if you are for or against) that a valid "finding the best solution" is to ignore the referendum as such not invoking article 50 is par for the course.

The referendum was "Leave" or "Remain".... very simple question really. If you wanted a solution other than that the referendum should have asked a different question. So you are now telling us (can't remember if you are for or against) that a valid "finding the best solution" is to ignore the referendum as such not invoking article 50 is par for the course.

If you dive, you should know the steps how to cope with a potentially dangerous situation.

Stop - Breath - Think - Act.

Even if you don't dive, that is a good way to deal with situations where reflexes or first instinct are not enough.

If you dive, you should know the steps how to cope with a potentially dangerous situation.

Even if you don't dive, that is a good way to deal with situations where reflexes or first instinct are not enough.

The dangerous act is the referendum - that was the vote....

All you have to do to see that is to look at the markets.... you have killed your economy for the sake of a game of chicken?

How does the EU even take Britain seriously?

All you have to do to see that is to look at the markets.... you have killed your economy for the sake of a game of chicken?

We await the market opening bell. sad.png

For whom the bell tolls . . . .

It doesn't, nor ever has- that's part of the problem.

Killed the economy!

It doesn't, nor ever has- that's part of the problem.

Killed the economy!

Obviously the EU knew something about Britain that the rest of us are just finding out now....

UK leaving EU has serious impact to the EU's military power. UK has also been the door to USA for EU. Not to mention that UK's intelligence service is the best in Europe.

Not everything is measured as money.

For us, who wish UK to stay with the EU, those things have more value than how much we export or import from UK.

And for the record. If only UK could strip the power from the politician elite, which is pretty much the worst in the planet. It would be a big relief for the people in UK and for the rest of us.

I'm quite sure nobody likes the snobby lords, Camerons etc.

UK folks are generally great, but the politicians are not.

Just out of curiosity, how many do overs do you get before it goes into the rock-paper-scissors round?

Exactly!

So if there is a revote and we remain, then does that mean 1 each and no referendum has actually taken place. Do we have best of 3? or I guess if Bremain doesnt win then it will be best of 5! The people have spoken, Britain must suck it up and make the best of it now.

I guess if Trump or Clinton wins 51% to 49% (which is what the count will be), the winning side will say its ok to have another election because the losers are not happy?

Welcome to Democracy everyone.

You are believing newspaper talk. Not going to happen. Rupert Murdock (sorry for the spelling) is probably enjoying a cocktail on his yaught at the moment.

I don't understand you? Who is believing newspaper talk about what exactly?

And for the record. If only UK could strip the power from the politician elite, which is pretty much the worst in the planet. It would be a big relief for the people in UK and for the rest of us.

I'm quite sure nobody likes the snobby lords, Camerons etc.

UK folks are generally great, but the politicians are not.

They're proving your point to the very best of their ability right now.

Edited by MJP

I'm baffled how many grown-ups on this forum are whining about their sudden, obviously unexpected reclamation of self-determination.

I don't know when it was the last time the British people were allowed to vote about something (I'm not a British citizen, obviously). But as far as I know this doesn't happen too often - So it should have been an epic event for them, a wake up call, but here I'm guessing, of course.

Now I read, that the vote was not really representative as it was raining so hard (allegedly exclusively for most of the "remainers" <cough>) or that the young voters (allegedly most of which are intelligent, productive "remainers" <cough> <cough>) were not able, willing or motivated enough to get up to vote, using boots and an umbrella...

Let me tell you this: To all of these (allegedly) sleepy, lazy, responsibility-hating "true democracy-defenders", there is no reason to panic, stay in bed and let others decide for you - You got what you wanted and deserve.

Insofar nothing has changed for you except from now on the people who decide for you are again British citizens, elected by you (if you don't bother to get up, drop a ballot... during a whole day, provided it's not raining...) and not nameless, unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

Go back to sleep, everything is okay, nothing really changed for you regarding your convenience, really, don't worry. If you don't feel the need to participate, just continue to not vote/elect.

Yes, self-determination is an ugly bitch (this is pure sarcasm, in case you didn't notice) and you are obviously not ready for it, you are not mature - As I already implied, don't bother any further, go back to bed... Or at least, please, stop whining. It's completely embarrassing for grown-ups to behave like this. Grow up, show some responsibility and self-esteem for whatever you do - or do not, if you decide so.

I'm Swiss and we do this bloody, exhausting (sarcasm, again, for the uninitiated) voting several times each year and I know, what I'm talking about: It's so incredibly challenging, I really know what you must have gone through last week by answering one single question (or not, referring to the convenience-sleepers here). All I can say: I'm not patronising you, but show some respect for what you, as a people, have decided.

I'm baffled how many grown-ups on this forum are whining about their sudden, obviously unexpected reclamation of self-determination.

I don't know when it was the last time the British people were allowed to vote about something (I'm not a British citizen, obviously). But as far as I know this doesn't happen too often - So it should have been an epic event for them, a wake up call, but here I'm guessing, of course.

Now I read, that the vote was not really representative as it was raining so hard (allegedly exclusively for most of the "remainers" <cough>) or that the young voters (allegedly most of which are intelligent, productive "remainers" <cough> <cough>) were not able, willing or motivated enough to get up to vote, using boots and an umbrella...

Let me tell you this: To all of these (allegedly) sleepy, lazy, responsibility-hating "true democracy-defenders", there is no reason to panic, stay in bed and let others decide for you - You got what you wanted and deserve.

Insofar nothing has changed for you except from now on the people who decide for you are again British citizens, elected by you (if you don't bother to get up, drop a ballot... during a whole day, provided it's not raining...) and not nameless, unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

Go back to sleep, everything is okay, nothing really changed for you regarding your convenience, really, don't worry. If you don't feel the need to participate, just continue to not vote/elect.

Yes, self-determination is an ugly bitch (this is pure sarcasm, in case you didn't notice) and you are obviously not ready for it, you are not mature - As I already implied, don't bother any further, go back to bed... Or at least, please, stop whining. It's completely embarrassing for grown-ups to behave like this. Grow up, show some responsibility and self-esteem for whatever you do - or do not, if you decide so.

I'm Swiss and we do this bloody, exhausting (sarcasm, again, for the uninitiated) voting several times each year and I know, what I'm talking about: It's so incredibly challenging, I really know what you must have gone through last week by answering one single question (or not, referring to the convenience-sleepers here). All I can say: I'm not patronising you, but show some respect for what you, as a people, have decided.

I agree with you . . . but . . . as it turns out, we don't have the politicians with the ability to make it happen in a sensible and orderly manner. Brexit wasn't really the problem, it's the handling of Brexit which is turning this drama into a calamity.

Please lend us some of your politicians, coz we ain't got any.

I agree with you . . . but . . . as it turns out, we don't have the politicians with the ability to make it happen in a sensible and orderly manner. Brexit wasn't really the problem, it's the handling of Brexit which is turning this drama into a calamity.

Yes, perfect time for Argentina to invade the Falklands....

Yes, perfect time for Argentina to invade the Falklands....

. . . and Spain to take back the Rock

. . . and Ireland to take back NI

. . . Alex Salmond to take Scotland

. . . and the Greeks to recover the Elgin marbles

At least it would finally settle all these long running issues.

In this Brexit case it has been obvious the majority of (a lot of obviously uninformed) voters made their decision with their heart and NOT with their brain. The demand for a new refendum confirms this.

16 million voted Remain. How many have demanded a new referendum? 2-3 million from around the planet? That is hardly confirmation.

I recall a meme or whatever they're called. March of the Zombies. It showed a line of young people, all staring into their smartphone. Too busy to see what's going on around them. That's the 57% of 18 - 24 year olds who didn't vote, and are whinging now.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

I'm the last one to give anybody any advise on how to handle their own court jesters - We have enough of them in our own government wink.png .

All I can say: Start to handle them (again) in your own manner. We all have hiccups with our governments - But at least they are our own jesters and if we are unhappy with them we (and now you, too) can correct/realign/replace them quite directly with others.

To be fair, some jesters are quite decent, though.

Anyway, don't worry too much, as of now (or maybe within a few months) your politicians' actions and decisions will be much, much more adequate and responsible than those of the anonymous, unelected bureaucrats in Brussels. That's a given. And if you have some politicians with balls, they immediately won't enforce the worst EU laws on you anymore (passive resistance!). If you can find and elect some of them, take care of them and you will enjoy quite some relief very soon.

Economically, the EU needs you more than you need the EU, even if the EU pretends otherwise; The UK is very powerful! And I'm convinced your country shows the way for others to follow.

Just be aware that your people have been looted for decades; It will take some time to recover but now you finally have the tools again to put things into their correct place - Hopefully with the right leaders who provide you with the needed freedoms you voted for.

I'm the last one to give anybody any advise on how to handle their own court jesters - We have enough of them in our own government wink.png .

All I can say: Start to handle them (again) in your own manner. We all have hiccups with our governments - But at least they are our own jesters and if we are unhappy with them we (and now you, too) can correct/realign/replace them quite directly with others.

To be fair, some jesters are quite decent, though.

Anyway, don't worry too much, as of now (or maybe within a few months) your politicians' actions and decisions will be much, much more adequate and responsible than those of the anonymous, unelected bureaucrats in Brussels. That's a given. And if you have some politicians with balls, they immediately won't enforce the worst EU laws on you anymore (passive resistance!). If you can find and elect some of them, take care of them and you will enjoy quite some relief very soon.

Economically, the EU needs you more than you need the EU, even if the EU pretends otherwise; The UK is very powerful! And I'm convinced your country shows the way for others to follow.

Just be aware that your people have been looted for decades; It will take some time to recover but now you finally have the tools again to put things into their correct place - Hopefully with the right leaders who provide you with the needed freedoms you voted for.

Thanks Andreas. I know Brexit was the right decision, but only if it's handled by competent people. EU politics has never suited the Brits and vice versa. A Brexit should be good for both, but I fear ego's and retribution will screw it all up for regular people both sides of the English Channel.

You would think that they were smart enough to make up their mind,,,But we are talking about the UK,,, they don't know what they are doing,

can't make up their mind,in one day out the next,,,Oh shit ,,running scared can't stand on our own two feet,,back in

Whinging undeceiving Poms,,,They will Never change,,,

I thought generalised attacks on a single nationality were not allowed on TV? What does 'undeceiving poms' mean anyway - English not your native language? This is about an online petition that could have been started by anyone, not a decision by the British government or nation - why don't you put a sock in it?

I was completely for remaining in the EU but the more ridiculous comments I read from foreigners who have no business meddling in the affairs of the British, the more I am coming around to the idea of leaving being a jolly good idea. Britain may not be a big player on the world stage nowadays but we've had more influence globally than any other country in the history of the world so bring your petty comments on - you're typing them all in our language anyway (more or less).

Edited by Mark123456

I have accepted the decision although I believe it's a disaster

The Brexiteers got 36% Remain got 34% of the electorate

Whoever set up the referendum was a fool. To make such a major change should have required a real majority. But too late now

I do feel queasy after seeing the demographics

Young people lost

Educated people lost

Demographic groups A and B lost

London and Scotland lost

BTW, where are the new "leaders"? What's the plan? The truth is, there isn't a plan. Boris didn't actually want Brexit. He wanted a slim remain victory so he was set up to take over the Conservative party.

It's a disaster.

Fully agree with this comment makes sense.
But we can still laugh a little ...

post-234089-0-36589200-1466982829_thumb.

Typical left…..all for free speech and democracy until it doesn't suit them.

I gather the main agitator for the referendum is on record saying that he would not accept the result if the margin was less than 3 to 4% would that be "Typical right"