Anyone else in Klaeng area?

Franky Bear

I'm not far from there, moved down this way because it's more like the Thailand I remember from years ago, don't need the nightlife, and the seafood is fresh and cheap.

it is very quiet. I move to Hong Kong next month. If i was staying in Thailand i'd be moving away. it is a nice area, jsut too quiet for me. I'd most likely move to Laem mae Phim.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm visiting some of the wife's family in Klaeng soon.

What is there to do? If anything?

Any good hotels or rentals around?

Recommend any restaurants Thai or ferang?

Thanks

Anton.

Nothing in the town for us at all. It's extremely quit.

But, Laem Mae Phim beach is lovely, i don't really like beaches, but, this is stunning and largely tourist free, i am lead to believe it's the longest beach in Thailand(?) We have been the only people on it on a perfect sunny day more than a few times.

At the eastern edge of the beach you have a stretch of beach bars that do nice sea food. Take your pick it's hard to separate them. We use one that is directly over from the 7-11 (can't remember the name even though we have been going for years) There's also decent cheap hotels that are all on a par with each other. If i was to pick one it would be the Laem Mae Phim resort.

At the other end of the beach to the west you have big hotel like the Marriott which is a great place for high end food etc. We enjoy it there too and spent three days over Xmas and NYE 14/15.

If it rains, there's not much to do, it's a sleepy little town. There is a fairly big Scandinavian community there which is growing.

As i have said, it's largely tourist free, but, it has got busier as the years have gone by. It is well worth the visit.

Edited by Franky Bear

Thanks for the info.

At least it will be nice and relaxing.

No doubt about that. We have had a lot of rain down here for the last month. So i'd make sure you have movies etc to pass the time if you get a rotten day.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello, so nothing changed since old posts ?

And how is the beach there? does it look like a beach or a dump ?

Thanks.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1007947-klaeng-or-kraeng-rayong-anybody-living-there/

Hi, depends on the weather and if it's a long weekend and therefore busy with visitors.
Klaeng itself is pretty boring and nondescript but either side is good. Laem Mae Phim beach is very long and usually clean and with one or two bars, surprisingly good restaurants (Lom Talay, La Capanna, Bali Pizza) and a very chilled vibe. There's a Marriott resort in between there and Ban Phe if you want a touch of class inc a good cocktail 2 for 1 hr from 6pm daily. From Klaeng towards Chantaburi is a beautiful coastal drive with dramatic scenery.
In short, it's not for everyone but there is choice and stuff to do for more than one or two days so it's worth a try.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app