June 26, 201610 yr Hello, I think I have got the general idea about this subject but I just want to make sure about the specifics so I don't ended up frantically searching for a way to sort out this madness. I am from Switzerland and planning to come to Thailand in early October until mid March every year. According to the Thai Consulate websites in Switzerland (there are three), they only issue single entry Non Immigrant O visa valid for 6 months. So here is my question: If I obtain a single entry O visa, let's say on 30.09.16 valid until 28.03.17. I enter Thailand on 08.10.16 gets stamped in and permit to stay until 05.01.17 (90 days), in the meantime I plan to go out once and come back on a re-entry permit to keep the 05.01.17 date. On or about 04.12.16 (30 days before permit to stay expires) I go to immigration office for an one-year O-A extension with funds in the bank etc....what will be the expiry date of this extension? 04.01.2018 or 27.03.18? I need to make sure that the O-A visa will expire in a year during the months while I will be in Thailand in order for me to be able to renew it. Thank you.
June 26, 201610 yr You will not be applying for an O-A extension. It is an extension of stay based on retirement (over 50). The extension will apply from January 6th 2017 until January 5th 2018. Non immigrant 'O-A' visas are visas and only available from your home country. Visas are not extended. You will be able to renew your 1 year extension within 30 days (maybe 45) of January 5th 2018. Edited June 26, 201610 yr by elviajero
June 26, 201610 yr Author Thank you, that is what I need to know. I meant to say "change" the O visa to Long Stay O-A status on or about 04.12.16. I am over 50 and qualified for the retirement visa.
June 26, 201610 yr You can forget about the term O-A entirely for your situation. You are seeking an annual retirement extension. Nothing to do with O-A. O-A visas are a very specific thing. You won't have one and you don't need one either. Edited June 26, 201610 yr by Jingthing
June 26, 201610 yr Thank you, that is what I need to know. I meant to say "change" the O visa to Long Stay O-A status on or about 04.12.16. I am over 50 and qualified for the retirement visa. You're welcome. It's a common misunderstanding but you do not change your visa. Thai visas are only used to enter the country. You'll be using a Non 'O' and not a Non 'O-A'. The minute you enter your Non 'O' visa is used and you are granted a 90 day permit to stay. You then extend that 90 day stay by a further 1 year on the basis of retirement (over 50). You no longer have a visa (it's not needed), but you have permission to stay which can be renewed every year for any qualifying reason.
June 26, 201610 yr Author Right, that cleared up a lot for me, thank you. One more question, once I sucessfully extended the stay to one year on the basis of retirement would that be a multi or do I need to get a re-entry permit every time I go out within the one year period?
June 26, 201610 yr Right, that cleared up a lot for me, thank you. One more question, once I sucessfully extended the stay to one year on the basis of retirement would that be a multi or do I need to get a re-entry permit every time I go out within the one year period? You would need a re-entry permit. Multiple entry costs 3,800 baht; Single entry costs 1,000 baht. You can apply for these at anytime from your local immigration office or at the major airports as you leave.
Create an account or sign in to comment