Just being scammed at a local market

Mangostin

After years and years and years of being a loyal customer, a local stall selling a local delicacy ("Kaee Nokkada", which are basically just sweetened fried dough's balls), just decided to implement some tricks to (presumably) maximize its profits (read as "scam", or simply as filling up its small paper's bag just for 1/3, but making it still looks as it was completely full as per usual).

I didn't bother to inspect what i was being handed, as after many years of happy purchases, i wouldn't expect to be rewarded on this way.....anyway, life continues and i am sure that by giving up on some of my unhealthy dietary habits, can only do some good to me, so, thanks to the thai logic of doing business, you will now have one less customer which will translate with less work to do, so you can relax a bit more, that's a winning for all of us i am sure! laugh.png

post-255640-0-44682500-1466951403_thumb.post-255640-0-37643500-1466951414_thumb.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure either one of these would love to hear from you, and make you feel better.

NCPO Thai government. 24 hour Call Center 1111 http://www.1111.go.th/

They deal with any and all complaints related to anything and everything.

Noise, schools, retailers, builders, police or anything else.

Consumer Protection Board. http://www.ocpb.go.t...?filename=index

This agency deals with all retails, real estate and alike problems, including faulty products, incomplete jobs, warranty's etc.

It also deals with unlicensed restaurants or food sellers.

Feel much better now. That gave me my first giggle of the morning.

I can't imagine how the OP would react to a serious problem. If he lives in a condo, I hope it's on the ground floor.

biggrin.png thank you guys for taking part on this, i think we can safely assume that corruption and cheats exist because the majority of people not only accept them, but in fact actively support those practices.

It's old news anyways, we know that what is rotten into our society doesn't just sprout out after the first seasonal's rainfalls, just have a taught about this next time you end up into an unpleasant situation, we will never root out bad practices till we are ourselves an active part against it, no matter how small something might looks, that's also why we start being educated while we are still at a very early stage of our life, but i bet this will be an overly complicated reasoning to understand for many...

Mangostin,

you might want to make a return trip to the stall a few weeks from now to see if they have lost customers and put up the prices to compensate for their falling income.

----

Though I suspect what has actually happened is the stall holder has handed you one of the display packs, meant to show what is for sale, not to be sold.

Edited by GuestHouse

I am sure either one of these would love to hear from you, and make you feel better.

NCPO Thai government. 24 hour Call Center 1111 http://www.1111.go.th/

They deal with any and all complaints related to anything and everything.

Noise, schools, retailers, builders, police or anything else.

Consumer Protection Board. http://www.ocpb.go.t...?filename=index

This agency deals with all retails, real estate and alike problems, including faulty products, incomplete jobs, warranty's etc.

It also deals with unlicensed restaurants or food sellers.

Naaaw that would be a bit too much, i am confident that it will not takes long till he'll realize that it wasn't the wisest of the choices to resort to such a new strategy, and unsurprisingly, other patrons are just as unimpressed as i am by the new hocus-pocus trick, some TV members should seriously think about setting up a crowdfunding's page for the poor guy, it all looks as he will need one very soon.....

biggrin.png thank you guys for taking part on this, i think we can safely assume that corruption and cheats exist because the majority of people not only accept them, but in fact actively support those practices.

It's old news anyways, we know that what is rotten into our society doesn't just sprout out after the first seasonal's rainfalls, just have a taught about this next time you end up into an unpleasant situation, we will never root out bad practices till we are ourselves an active part against it, no matter how small something might looks, that's also why we start being educated while we are still at a very early stage of our life, but i bet this will be an overly complicated reasoning to understand for many...

time for bed said zebadi

Mangostin,

you might want to make a return trip to the stall a few weeks from now to see if they have lost customers and put up the prices to compensate for their falling income.

----

It's already happening, that stall is a popular one with many ppl i knows, and the buzzing around doesn't sound any good for the poor chap....serves him right though.

Also, is not the first one to bite the dust, i have seen many disappearing in no time, others taking a while but inesorably following suit, and it's sad as i did really enjoy (some of) them.

As for example, a notorious starred fried chicken, i have seen 4 of them coming and going, a few of them left their empty stall behind, so if if there is any of the members here interested, i think that as long as you can prove that your product it could not be sourced locally because of the skills involved, etc, shouldn't be a problem obtaining a WP for it, in fact, i already have a suggestion for any interested member, you could develop a roasted chicken which is catapulted directly on the table of your customers, if you are wondering how could you possibly do something like that, i suggest making a partnership with this guy here (Songkran's ready, just look at the shirt, and possibly looking for a new job) https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/nov/14/rosetta-comet-genius-typical-absent-minded-scientist-sister

I've got the serious cast-iron stomach, and what I mean by that is pretty much bulletproof when it comes to getting the s$its from food, but probably the worst case in the last twenty years I got from these little guys.

Friend and I in BKK pretty soused after having been drinking, I walk by see those little dough balls in the wok of oil (I'm sure it was that nasty-a$s oil that did it) score me a bag, delightful with the buzz on, munch them down. About an hour later, explosive diarrhea that didn't go away for days.........

No, I say they have done you a favor.

I've got the serious cast-iron stomach, and what I mean by that is pretty much bulletproof when it comes to getting the s$its from food, but probably the worst case in the last twenty years I got from these little guys.

Friend and I in BKK pretty soused after having been drinking, I walk by see those little dough balls in the wok of oil (I'm sure it was that nasty-a$s oil that did it) score me a bag, delightful with the buzz on, munch them down. About an hour later, explosive diarrhea that didn't go away for days.........

No, I say they have done you a favor.

don't suppose the drink had anything to do with it did it !!!! No of course not silly me has to be blamed on a Thai I forgot sorry .

don't suppose the drink had anything to do with it did it !!!! No of course not silly me has to be blamed on a Thai I forgot sorry .

Odds are in favour of the bad oil, which it's something very common, unless he came across some of that nasty ice added to the drinks, made of doubtful's water or just being crushed on a dirty floor (i've seen that myself)...... but we all knows that thais do not do those things, maybe they were burmeses.....whistling.gif

Edited by Mangostin

Start an on line petition every <deleted> else does

Even better, a crowdfund that recover his losses :-)

Just kidding, OP is right, people can't be trusted, farang nor thai.

The only one we can all trust however is Prayuth: him big, him boss, him suhmart!

sovr ridiculous to even notice it, don't you feel that your whole life is a scam ?

If that's how you feel towards your own existence, i am sorry for you dear, luckily not everyone is at that stage though, just stay with us for a chance to see life from a different prospective, you never know laugh.png

Frankxxxxxx, for once in your life, try to be really frank with yourself and start making some deep(fried?) research into the meaning of "ethics" or even "moral principles", for how strange you might find it, not everything and everyone on this world is based on money

What about the big well known companies that sneakingly downsize their products and try to make the containers look the same size. Here is an eye opener:

https://consumerist.com/category/grocery-shrink-ray/

The time when cans of soda were on average 330m then shrunk down to 325m over night. Mars bars that at one time were huge, a Mars a day helps you work, rest and play was their ad, now they are bite sized. We are getting ripped off by these traders and big companies everyday. So what you are complaining about is insignificant in the scheme of things.

I agree with Mangostin, I'd be really annoyed with this too. No need to make pathetic comments about lending him money, some of you just don't have the intelligence to get the point. If I was overcharged by 300% I'd be furious whether it was over 20 baht of food or a large property development. I do have to say though, Mr Mangostin, why don't you actually ask the vendor what he thinks he's doing rather than never going back? That would be taking a more proactive role I think. It may be futile as far as some are concerned but I always take the time to tell people exactly why I'm upset with their products or service, if I am.

Edited by Mark123456

Hi Mark, i am usually very proactive, but given the usual kind of replies i get from the various vendors, it's getting all just a bit demotivating.... to give you an idea, things like "we no have" when the products are just under our noses, or "cannot do solly", "this is Thailand, no Europe", and even simply making a "pffft" while looking and acting as being clearly annoyed etc..

I still like a chat about it if i find out on the spot or in case of costly stuff, but given the nature and costs involved on this particular instance, they can get lost...

If it was a simple "mistake" as mentioned by someone, it wouldn't involve so many people, but i guess some people will always find a way to justify the unjustifiable, no matter what...

I know what you mean, I find the attitude in many shops exasperating. Perhaps I'm becoming paranoid but they often seem to enjoy telling you they don't have whatever it is you want to buy and if you ask for anything even slightly out of the ordinary, they react as if you've just asked for a pony made of chocolate (or something similarly ridiculous).