Just being scammed at a local market

Mangostin

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This vendor is not likely a sophisticated business person - maybe they were faced with a short term problem, an increase in expenses or something other and did not know how to deal with it or pass along the price increase... maybe they could have increased the price and given you the same quantity but felt that was too much bother... if this is someone who you deal with regularly I would like to think you can speak with them rather than get all worked up as if you were horribly scammed... maybe ask them what their problems are and help them out... show a bit of compassion.. [sure, just a crazy idea]

Yeah right!

What next? "Farang killed by local vendor, BiB said it would have been very hard for the vendor to just let it go and we should show compassion"...in the mean time, some TV members just organized a crowdfunding on the popular website to make sure the poor vendors will never run out of bullets, totally empathizing with the struggles they might have went into.....nice one

Not sure how you extrapolated out to such extremes... did you ever think of asking the vendor what was up with the decrease in product? Do you speak enough Thai to accomplish this small feat of communication? If not, then ok, I understand a little better -

I usually chat with the vendors a little and they are friendly and often funny.

When the little chicken pieces I buy for my dog were smaller than usual, the vendor told me she could either give me 5 for 20 baht instead of the usual 4 for 20 baht - or she could give me glasses so they would like bigger...

Sometimes I think if the farang could speak a little more Thai, they would not have so many problems over such minor issues and might even get some laughs and a more accurate sense of the people... and have an easier and more enjoyable life here.

Sometimes I think if the farang could speak a little more Thai, they would not have so many problems

Been there and done that, trust me, you better get a different hobby, because as soon you will be able to grasp the lingo, you might end up with all your expectations being crushed, this will also lead to many more problems if you pay attention to what they say as soon as you turn your back to them, honestly, i could write a couple of encyclopedias on the absurdities you can hear around, sometimes even worse than the ones you read on the forum...

Sometimes I think if the farang could speak a little more Thai, they would not have so many problems

Been there and done that, trust me, you better get a different hobby, because as soon you will be able to grasp the lingo, you might end up with all your expectations being crushed, this will also lead to many more problems if you pay attention to what they say as soon as you turn your back to them, honestly, i could write a couple of encyclopedias on the absurdities you can hear around, sometimes even worse than the ones you read on the forum...

Yeah, sorry, I would not exactly call it a hobby - I have lived here for many years, my Thai is pretty good.. but what I do see is that people who walk around with a good attitude get good responses and people who walk around angry get bad responses... and that might be pretty much the same all over the world.. yes, people can see, sense and feel the radiating anger on other peoples faces and in their actions - and nobody really cares for it.

So, the important question is did you speak with the vendor since you imply you can speak Thai? Most issues can be resolved with some simple communication or did you just walk away angry? If you have done this in the past, I am sure the vendors will remember you for all negative reasons.

Thais simply love to rip off foreigners, it's a fact.

When shopping with my gal, or doing anything similar, I stay back 10 feet as if I don't know her.

Moment I stand beside her, price goes up 10 percent.

Mangostin

Having read through the whole sorry thread. Once I had stopped laughing and my sides had stopped aching. I have come to a serious conclusion. You are a very very funny sort of man I belive this thread to be a big click bait job. Dough BALLS indeed. However your people skills are lacking somewhat I suggest you get into a detox program at your earliest convenience before its to late for you if of course it isn't already to late!!!. I await your put down comments with baited breath whilst I sit here eating you missing dough BALLS.

Edited by Deepinthailand

Mangostin

Having read through the whole sorry thread. Once I had stopped laughing and my sides had stopped aching. I have come to a serious conclusion. You are a very very funny sort of man I believe this thread to be a big click bait job. Dough BALLS indeed. However your people skills are lacking somewhat I suggest you get into a detox program at your earliest convenience before its to late for you if of course it isn't already to late!!!. I await your put down comments with baited breath whilst I sit here eating you missing dough BALLS.

Good post. Shortly after posting my last response I accepted that I'd been taken hook line & sinker.

I am sure either one of these would love to hear from you, and make you feel better.

NCPO Thai government. 24 hour Call Center 1111 http://www.1111.go.th/

They deal with any and all complaints related to anything and everything.

Noise, schools, retailers, builders, police or anything else.

Consumer Protection Board. http://www.ocpb.go.t...?filename=index

This agency deals with all retails, real estate and alike problems, including faulty products, incomplete jobs, warranty's etc.

It also deals with unlicensed restaurants or food sellers.

Thanks for posting this.

the 1111 website is pretty useless, but the Consumer protection board actually has an English version that makes sense.

Bookmarked !

biggrin.png thank you guys for taking part on this, i think we can safely assume that corruption and cheats exist because the majority of people not only accept them, but in fact actively support those practices.

It's old news anyways, we know that what is rotten into our society doesn't just sprout out after the first seasonal's rainfalls, just have a taught about this next time you end up into an unpleasant situation, we will never root out bad practices till we are ourselves an active part against it, no matter how small something might looks, that's also why we start being educated while we are still at a very early stage of our life, but i bet this will be an overly complicated reasoning to understand for many...

What about the big well known companies that sneakingly downsize their products and try to make the containers look the same size. Here is an eye opener:

https://consumerist.com/category/grocery-shrink-ray/

The time when cans of soda were on average 330m then shrunk down to 325m over night. Mars bars that at one time were huge, a Mars a day helps you work, rest and play was their ad, now they are bite sized. We are getting ripped off by these traders and big companies everyday. So what you are complaining about is insignificant in the scheme of things.

I agree with you entirely.

The OP complained about a little scam and he received many aggressive replies. The thing is. He is entirely correct.

It is happening everywhere now. Restaurants and shops are saving where they can. Serviettes no longer supplied in many restaurants. Portions much much smaller. As someone else mentioned, soft drinks (and Heineken Beer) are now supplied in smaller cans. At first they cost the same as the older bigger cans but now the price has gone up.

Too be honest, with many of these products (especially beer) I would prefer to pay more for a bigger portion.