British expatriates fear for their future after UK vote

webfact

Much talk during the pre-referendum campaign as to whether the £350 million a week paid into the EU was true [which in net terms of course it wasn't] and whether with Brexit all, or at least some, would be spent in attempting to assist the ill-managed NHS in coping with demand. Something I didn't hear mentioned, nor noticed in the one hundred and twenty posts here is: the UK has a massive balance of payments deficit which needs to be addressed.

The NHS problem is more about bad management and extortionate prices charged by pharmaceutical companies than lack of funding.

Would expats who live in EU territories retain their state pension increases? Not without reciprocal arrangements being individually agreed with each country I assume. Otherwise there would be another push for those of us who live in Thailand [and other territories] to get fair treatment.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Switzerland and Norway are doing fine outside the EU...and for that matter, so are Canada, USA, Australia, and New Zealand.

Getting the Scotch and maybe the Irish out on their own will probably be a good thing too.

Five years from now, Britain will be a fount of innovation, cultural excitement, and THE place to be. Scotland will be even more dour, wet, cold, and depressing. And they'll be grumbling about being left in the EU while all the glamour and excitement lives in the UK.

Britain 'a fount of innovation, cultural excitement and The place to be' cheesy.gif What? The dreary, dour provinces? You must be stuck in some Beatle period time-warp. And they (the Beatles) couldn't wait to come to London, the only place where that description properly fits. Watch out you don't trip over all those nasty foreigners and immigrants though.

Switzerland and Norway are doing fine outside the EU...and for that matter, so are Canada, USA, Australia, and New Zealand.

Getting the Scotch and maybe the Irish out on their own will probably be a good thing too.

Five years from now, Britain will be a fount of innovation, cultural excitement, and THE place to be. Scotland will be even more dour, wet, cold, and depressing. And they'll be grumbling about being left in the EU while all the glamour and excitement lives in the UK.

Britain 'a fount of innovation, cultural excitement and The place to be' cheesy.gif What? The dreary, dour provinces? You must be stuck in some Beatle period time-warp. And they (the Beatles) couldn't wait to come to London, the only place where that description properly fits. Watch out you don't trip over all those nasty foreigners and immigrants though.

What would you know? You live in The People's Republic of Hong Kong.

Well, my buddy that supports Trump and the Brexit was so pleased to see the Brits vote to leave the Union. Haha ha..look at the currency & stock market tank ....

Then we look around his restaurant and wonder where all the customers went..Ooops.

Well, my buddy that supports Trump and the Brexit was so pleased to see the Brits vote to leave the Union. Haha ha..look at the currency & stock market tank ....

Then we look around his restaurant and wonder where all the customers went..Ooops.

"Haha ha..look at the currency & stock market tank ..".

Sorry to say that's been a recent theme and the reason why many people voted Brexit in the first place, the "have nots" angry at the "haves" and want to see them damaged, it's beyond sad.

"Haha ha..look at the currency & stock market tank ..".

Sorry to say that's been a recent theme and the reason why many people voted Brexit in the first place, the "have nots" angry at the "haves" and want to see them damaged, it's beyond sad.

In the US, the 250 million people with IRA, 401K retirement accounts just said goodbye to 5%.

The "angry have nots" are the undereducated,low wage earners, facing a pitiful retirement scenario due to their poor planning.

Should have studied in science, technology or mathmatics... Ooops.

Right wing news has convinced them its everybody's else's fault but their own.

Fact is, they are competing for the mindless jobs that trained monkeys can do.

It's these same conservative nitwits that are against the Bernie Sanders proposal of more public education thru the college years.

And I live in Thailand but we both hold UK passports and are British.

Some of us dear chap have homes in more than one place. This weekend I will be strolling across Tower Bridge for a bite to eat at Borough Market.

The "angry have nots" are the undereducated,low wage earners, facing a pitiful retirement scenario due to their poor planning.

I wonder how many of the rich, or large earners studied those subjects, I'm thinking none.

Bill Gates was a dropout from a rich banking/lawyer family.

Steve Jobs, another dropout (his dad was a Syrian Muslim).

Edited by MissAndry

I wonder how many of the rich, or large earners studied those subjects, I'm thinking none.

Bill Gates was a dropout from a rich banking/lawyer family.

Steve Jobs, another dropout (his dad was a Syrian Muslim).

"I wonder how many of the rich, or large earners studied those subjects, I'm thinking none."

Wrong.

Just about everybody working in Silicone Valley have degrees in science, technology & math. $150,000 average salary.......Including the most millionaires and the most billionaires in the United States per capita.

Gates dropped out of Harvard because he had a plan to be King of the World! And it worked.

By the way, Steve Jobs was a genius, ready for College when he was 10 years old. He dropped out because of the financial hardships he was placing on his parents.

Steve credits ingesting LSD as one of the most influential experiences in his life. "Not the most important, but right up there" he said.

Funny, Steves partner Wozniac was also a genius that went to college after he made $100 million. He attended Berkley anonymously but was found out when he was on the cover of TIME magazine.

Edited by Buzzz

Some of us dear chap have homes in more than one place. This weekend I will be strolling across Tower Bridge for a bite to eat at Borough Market.

Loadsamoney, I'm considerably richer than you.