Singapore Airlines jet catches fire, but all passengers safe

webfact

Singapore Airlines jet catches fire, but all passengers safe

SINGAPORE (AP) — Singapore Airlines said Monday that there were no injuries when a jetliner caught fire after the plane returned to Changi Airport because of an engine warning.

An airline statement said the Boeing 777-300ER was on its way to Milan when it turned back "following an engine oil warning message."

It said the aircraft's right engine caught fire after Flight SQ368 touched down more than four hours after takeoff.

"The fire was put out by airport emergency services and there were no injuries to the 222 passengers and 19 crew on board," it said.

The airline says the passengers were transferred to another aircraft that was to depart for Milan later Monday.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-27

Wow it takes too long for them in my eyes.

I was kinda of thinking the same thing, when every second

counts, it seems like the fire trucks should have been waiting

in some spot where the plane would stop . Changi is rated

one of the best airports in the world, so I assume the fire

fighting program is up to snuff as well .

Too early to judge, but there are serious questions here as to whether the aircraft should have diverted to a closer airport like Phuket, and whether the caption should have declared an evacuation once they were on the ground and the thing was burning. It all ended without loss of life so at this point perhaps they do deserve the benefit of the doubt. But I also suspect that people are cutting them some slack because they're SIA. Imagine the outcry if this had happened on a Thai-registered airline.

I think we will see many more air planes with malfunctions , the atmosphere in Asia has a high amount of radiation in it from Japan,

err... do you have any more sources / explanations about this issue?

some guardian angel was assisting in this episode.

we should offer prayers to God for this miracle.

all lives safe with a burning engine. God does exist.

needless to say the remarkable cool of the captain and his

team deserves a special mention.

less than 3 minutes...

They were spraying the plane in 57 seconds after plane rolled to a stop. I would call that impressive. Also, it didn't catch fire until touchdown so the vehicles were in a suitable position for a potential incident. Also not knowing exactly where the aircraft will roll to a stop.

less than 3 minutes...

They were spraying the plane in 57 seconds after plane rolled to a stop. I would call that impressive. Also, it didn't catch fire until touchdown so the vehicles were in a suitable position for a potential incident. Also not knowing exactly where the aircraft will roll to a stop.

Well done IMO.

As a side issue, I just like to point out that the wings never burn on my airline. ;)

I think we will see many more air planes with malfunctions , the atmosphere in Asia has a high amount of radiation in it from Japan,

I guess you had enough of radiation of some form every second reply

you post you blame radiation from Japan last time it was about

fish dying if I would not be to lazy and busy I could list all your posts

or replies on which you quoted radiation, get real !

less than 3 minutes...

Well done IMO.

As a side issue, I just like to point out that the wings never burn on my airline. wink.png

fascinating how some people compare anecdotical incidents with very low odds to assess airline safety.

which is your airline, BTW ?

Edited by manarak

Too early to judge, but there are serious questions here as to whether the aircraft should have diverted to a closer airport like Phuket, and whether the caption should have declared an evacuation once they were on the ground and the thing was burning. It all ended without loss of life so at this point perhaps they do deserve the benefit of the doubt. But I also suspect that people are cutting them some slack because they're SIA. Imagine the outcry if this had happened on a Thai-registered airline.

No, the plane would have reached Phuket at 4 am, and would you prefer the equipment/personnel there? KL was also on the path back (with a better time of 6am), but there was no immediate emergency.

yes, so many air accidents have happened in japan and countries close to japan.

it was so hard to have a straight face as i wrote that. are you serious? back to the bin for you

That's the second serious engine fire incident on a triple-7 in less than a year.

Last one was BA2276, a Britifh Airways flight from Las Vegas to London in September 2015

In that case the engine was a GE90.

Based on the tail number of that SQ aircraft (9V-SWB) it seems that this is yet another GE90 burning.

Busy times ahead for GE engineers, I'd say.

Edited by Lannig

The indication in the engine panel showed a high consumption of oil at the time indicating an oil leak.This is not an emergency situation yet so the plan was to return to their home base where proper maintenance could be performed .After landing the during taxi the wind was no longer keeping the leaking oil cool and away from the hot core of the engine so a fire then came about.I am sure that the fire department at a first class airport like Changi was about ten times better the fire equipment at second class Phuket.If you were on that airplane who would uoi rather trust putting out the fire a Thai fire fighting crew or a first class fighting crew ? By the way that airplane can Take off and Land safely on ONE engine with a full load of passengers and cargo so shutting down the engine during the reture would have presented no problems.

Lol my mum will be loving this, she just booked flights from australia to europe and was told to avoid SG airlines from an aircraft worker in the family

And who does the aircraft worker in family work for Quantas ?

Singapore Airlines is one of the safest airlines in Asia and in the top 20 in the world..The pilot did a great job in this situation. .

That's the second serious engine fire incident on a triple-7 in less than a year.

Last one was BA2276, a Britifh Airways flight from Las Vegas to London in September 2015

In that case the engine was a GE90.

Based on the tail number of that SQ aircraft (9V-SWB) it seems that this is yet another GE90 burning.

Busy times ahead for GE engineers, I'd say.

The 777 uses both the GE and Rolls Royce engines. When I was working on both American airlines and British Airways 777 at DFW as an international crew chief the difference was quite clear on the same routes from London in an 10 hour flight the Rolls Royce used about three to four quarts of oil and the GE used about ten to twelve quarts for the same flying time.BA used the GEs and American used the Rolls Royce.. There was a reason for this but it is too deep to go into here.

I think it says something that the plane was over two hours into the flight when the trouble was spotted, and they flew all the way back rather than land somewhere closer, Lack of confidence in the options?

Must have been a terrifying moment if you were sitting in the side of the cabin with the view shown above. You figure that the plane's landed and the trip was great. Then you look out the window and the plane's in flames.

Great job from the crew? well, if we strictly consider the outcome, then yes.

However there's a lot of discussion going on about why they did not evacuate and whether this could have had dramatic consequences with only slightly different conditions (such as wind blowing differently). Google "British Airtours 28M" for a very different outcome.

In the case of the BA flight in Los Angeles, evacuation was called although the fire was much less extensive.